News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 939     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Howarth has already indicated she'll give Wynne the chance. She's even offered up what she'll take to support he budget. Meanwhile the most recent polls have shown the Liberals and Tories statistically tied, with NDP support plummeting since Christmas when some polls were putting them in the lead.

The more reason why she will support an early election. The more she waits, the worse it will get for the NDP and the more people will forget about the gas plant scandal as well. Besides, since when politicians ever said the truth?

The problem is that the NDP have no chance of forming a government. They will not call an election that the PCs will win, as that would just make the political situation for the NDP even worse. The NDP are the most powerful they have been since Rae, and I don't think they will be willingly giving up that so that an even more conservative government can form office. An election will only be called in two scenarios, one is if it looks as though the NDP have a solid chance of forming government, even with the PCs being the opposition, or it looks as though the Liberals have a solid chance of staying in power but with a larger amount of NDP seats.

Last edited:
The problem is that the NDP have no chance of forming a government. They will not call an election that the PCs will win, as that would just make the political situation for the NDP even worse. The NDP are the most powerful they have been since Rae, and I don't think they will be willingly giving up that so that an even more conservative government can form office. An election will only be called in two scenarios, one is if it looks as though the NDP have a solid chance of forming government, even with the PCs being the opposition, or it looks as though the Liberals have a solid chance of staying in power but with a larger amount of NDP seats.

Great analysis.

I'll add something to it. What if the NDP were trying to replicate what Mulcair's been doing at the federal level? Could they choose to go closer to the center-left and use the Liberal scandals to crush them. Can she get the PC vote? No

Her only chance is to go after the Liberal voters who are extremely dissatisfy with the Liberals and McGuinty's legacy. By advertising yourself as "more trustworthy and more competent Liberalites" they might swing those votes their way.

Winning the title of "Official Opposition" by crushing the Liberals is even better than what they are now. They would have 4 years to make the case that they can govern the whole province better than the PC.

Sure, having the balance of power sounds good, but if it was that good, minority government would last longer. What usually happens is the one who holds the "balance of power" who risks falling into irrelevancy.

The bottom line is, voters don't care who holds the balance of power otherwise why has her support kept dropping? Supporting the same party that has brought us all those scandals will not do her any favors in the long run. She's just helping Wynne consolidating her power and proving to the population that she's a better Premier than she'll ever be. Reminds me of : "She's just that other girl I used to date once but can't remember her name now because I've moved on to better things."

Horwath need to take advantage of Wynne's connection to McGuinty and to not let her consolidate her power and build a credibility. She knows that.

The Transit taxes are needed, she knows it all too well. Why would you put yourself in the position of voting them in or cancelling them when you can just let your enemy do it for you, then blame them during the campaign.

Once you get into power, you can say something like " The Liberals left Ontario in a worse financial mess then expected and although we strongly disagree with those taxes, we have no choice but to let them be". Then you give yourself 4 years for Ontarians to get use to them and forget how much of a pain they are.

By then, some of the projects will be delivered during your mandate....taking credit for what your predecessor started...
You can subsidize transit which might lower the fares of Transit Organization...which you would take credit for.
Which makes the Transit taxes and your decision to keep them more acceptable.

I would not be surprised if the PC did the same but expect
-Highways and some subway constructions and no LRT
-Might lower taxes with the money of cancelled Transit projects

Last edited:
In the addendum, they suggest a peak-service LRT headways of 2 minutes in the tunneled section and 3 minutes in the at grade sections.

Comments are being made that LRV trains could short turn at Don Mills, should ATO (Automatic Train Operation) work as advertised.

There is another option. Longer trains in the at grade sections? Couldn't the cars be decoupled and coupled together or apart, as needed? Depends on how that sort of operation (coupling and decoupling) can be handled (manually or automated?). Personally, I think doing that would just be too complicated, better to keep it simple.

One thing the Liberals have done right is gotten us talking about proper ways to fund transit instead of delusional government efficiencies and private funding which will never materialize and lead us straight back to square one.

In the addendum, they suggest a peak-service LRT headways of 2 minutes in the tunneled section and 3 minutes in the at grade sections.

Comments are being made that LRV trains could short turn at Don Mills, should ATO (Automatic Train Operation) work as advertised.

There is another option. Longer trains in the at grade sections? Couldn't the cars be decoupled and coupled together or apart, as needed? Depends on how that sort of operation (coupling and decoupling) can be handled (manually or automated?). Personally, I think doing that would just be too complicated, better to keep it simple.

In San Francisco, they have the MuniMetro, which includes a tunneled light rail portion. All of the lines merge together at either one or two points on the south end or at one point at the north end.

Lines use between 1-3 per line, but they all merge to form the core line under Market Street through some process.

However, my experience with it is it takes few minutes to longer (5-10 minutes) for this process to happen. Probably would be simpler not to do so on Eglinton.

The PC would most likely cancel Sheppard and Finch to bury Eglinton and connect it to the SRT. ( I disagree with that but elavated + Finch would be a better option). But I do conceed that the DRL would be in danger
So then no change since the DRL is in danger right now.

As for the timing of an election, Wynne is in a precarious position as an "unelected" Premier. She wants to take enough time to create an impression while also trying to reduce the effects of McGuinty's scandals, but she's still operating under his mandate, and if she waits too long she risks being seen as an illegitimate leader who is afraid to take her case to the electorate. I say Wynne calls it by Spring 2014 at the latest.

... but she's still operating under his mandate, and if she waits too long she risks being seen as an illegitimate leader who is afraid to take her case to the electorate. I say Wynne calls it by Spring 2014 at the latest.
Is that a realistic concern though? Surely for each extra month of delay in calling an election, she also further distances herself from the previous regime. Win a few, lose a few.

Look back to history. The last Ontario Premier who left this early in a mandate was Premier Frost, who retired in 1961, only 2 years after the 1959 election. Incoming Premier Robarts didn't go to the polls until fall 1963, 4 years and 3 months after the previous election! And his penalty for governing rather than going to the polls, was that he got 49% of the vote and 77 seats, compared to 46% of the vote and 71 seats in the previous election.

There's no indication historically that the electorate will react to an incoming leader not going to the polls. However there is relatively recent evidence that the Ontario electorate will severely punish a Liberal Premier who calls an unnecessary election. David Peterson called the 1990 election less than 3 years after winning the 1987 majority (with 47% vote and 95 of 130 seats), and despite leading in the polls before the election, he got only 32% of the vote, and 36 seats ... with Bob Rae and the NDP being elected. I'm sure you recall the very anti-Liberal backlash that occurred because he called an early election.

The Liberals will clearly remember this lesson, and won't be any rush to go to the polls ... I really doubt that they'll call anything before 2015 themselves.

From the transit perspective, it is definitely better if Liberals hold power at least till the middle of 2015. By that time, Eglinton will be more or less safe, and hopefully some progress will be made on the Big Move funding strategy.

On the contrary, a PC government will likely cut the transit funding, and is very unlikely to support any transit-dedicated taxes.

NDP will not get enough seats to form the government; and even if they did, they have not presented any appealing transit strategy so far.

Last edited:

Back