News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 574     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Agreed, it's a missed opportunity to get rid of a useless transfer point. Nothing's for sure yet... Wynne's days as Premier are numbered...

Really? Do you seriously think that Wynne is sitting in her office plotting how to make riding the ECLRT miserable for riders?

Give me a break.

The reason why SRT and ECLRT aren't being interlined have been discussed here multiple times. It improves service reliability on the SRT while encouraging Downtown bound trips coming from Scarborough to take the BD subway.

Any more conspiracy theories you want to throw at us?

If Wynne's days are numbered, and Hudak by some nightmare got elected, we'd have much, much more to be worried about than just transit being dismantled.

Really? Do you seriously think that Wynne is sitting in her office plotting how to make riding the ECLRT miserable for riders?

Give me a break.

The reason why SRT and ECLRT aren't being interlined have been discussed here multiple times. It improves service reliability on the SRT while encouraging Downtown bound trips coming from Scarborough to take the BD subway.

The line being separated is simply due to the fact that Eglinton will be at grade between Don Mills and Kennedy. If both lines were grade separated, they would have been merged.

What conspiracy are you talking about?

It remains to be seen what the NDP would do. (I usually vote for them so no, I don't vote conservative)

The PC would most likely cancel Sheppard and Finch to bury Eglinton and connect it to the SRT. ( I disagree with that but elavated + Finch would be a better option). But I do conceed that the DRL would be in danger

Last edited:
I hope Wynne, at least stays around long enough, that this project is too far along, to be canceled by WhoDat.

My prediction is that the budget will pass along with all of her transit taxes. Then, the opposition will call for an election. Either the NDP and PC will win and keep the taxes in places and keep blaming the liberals for it.

PC will lower taxes to sell "their decision to keep the transit taxes in and promise not to misuse it". Building subways in Scarborough and showing the finger to the Downtown core. (DRL being in danger...well downtown doesn't vote for them right?) Building new highways as well

NDP will keep the taxes, blaming the Liberals for it and promise to not waste it. I see them subsidizing transit again but that would affect how many projects would be financed since they wouldn't be able to invest as much to build subways and GO.

Just my opinion

Last edited:
Agreed, it's a missed opportunity to get rid of a useless transfer point. Nothing's for sure yet... Wynne's days as Premier are numbered...
Nothing's for sure yet, but Wynne likely won't call an election unless she's at least going to get another minority, and the NDP show no signs of triggering an election soon - nor do I expect they would if Hudak was in majority territory.

Hudak has already promised he won't build subway when elected, and would cancel existing LRT projects ... perhaps considering subway, but not LRT, years away, after the budget is balanced (but first he will cut taxes ... not sure I understand that paradox).

NDP have promised nothing ... though given their poor transit record of deferring subways for years, and significant cuts to GO Transit, when in power ...

I doubt anything will change unless the leaders change. And I doubt the leaders will change before the next city election ... by which time the SRT will have been tendered, and construction will be underway.

Give me a break.

Plotting? Just pointing out that if she's out, so will Transit City Mark II

Nothing's for sure yet, but Wynne likely won't call an election unless she's at least going to get another minority, and the NDP show no signs of triggering an election soon - nor do I expect they would if Hudak was in majority territory.

Hudak has already promised he won't build subway when elected, and would cancel existing LRT projects ... perhaps considering subway, but not LRT, years away, after the budget is balanced (but first he will cut taxes ... not sure I understand that paradox).

NDP have promised nothing ... though given their poor transit record of deferring subways for years, and significant cuts to GO Transit, when in power ...

I doubt anything will change unless the leaders change. And I doubt the leaders will change before the next city election ... by which time the SRT will have been tendered, and construction will be underway.

She won't last the year. It would be bad for both the NDP and PC to give her the time to prove to Ontarians that she can govern and do better than McGuinty and themselves. Letting her stay Premier is giving her the time she needs to establish herself as a competent and credible Premier. She won't get that chance.

There's a reason why minority governments in Canada rarely make it beyond the 2 year mark

The line being separated is simply due to the fact that Eglinton will be at grade between Don Mills and Kennedy. If both lines were grade separated, they would have been merged.

I don't see how this invalidates anything I said.

It frustrates me that the eastern portion isn't being elevated. Part of me is hoping that Metrolinx will go ahead and elevate it without input from CoT, but I know that's nothing more than a pipe dream.

It remains to be seen what the NDP would do. (I usually vote for them so no, I don't vote conservative)

The PC would most likely cancel Sheppard and Finch to bury Eglinton and connect it to the SRT. ( I disagree with that but elavated + Finch would be a better option). But I do conceed that the DRL would be in danger

Don't think the NDP would cancel any of the already funded projects. Their main objection (illogically) is the "transit tax". So don't be surprised if they repeal any funding tools.

I also tend to vote NDP or Liberal, but the irrationality of the NDP regarding the transit issue has just lost them my vote. The Libs seem to be the only one with a shred of common sense re this issue.

She won't last the year. It would be bad for both the NDP and PC to give her the time to prove to Ontarians that she can govern and do better than McGuinty and themselves. Letting her stay Premier is giving her the time she needs to establish herself as a competent and credible Premier. She won't get that chance.
Howarth has already indicated she'll give Wynne the chance. She's even offered up what she'll take to support he budget. Meanwhile the most recent polls have shown the Liberals and Tories statistically tied, with NDP support plummeting since Christmas when some polls were putting them in the lead.

There's a reason why minority governments in Canada rarely make it beyond the 2 year mark
This was the strongest minority government I'm aware of in Canadian history (the closest to being a majority).

Personally, my money would be on Spring 2016 for the next election unless the Liberals start to move into majority territory in the polls (Fall 2014 and Fall 2015 might be more likely, but surely the odds are much longer on Spring 2016).

Back