News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 735     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Oh, I didn't realize that the line was going to Jane. Why does the 35 divert to Black Creek then?

It looks to me like it isn't anymore, at least from my reading of slides 18 and 19. "Under further study" seems code for "someday later". The short chunk of line west of the new "Weston Rd./Mount Dennis" underground station is marked "tail tracks."

It looks to me like it isn't anymore, at least from my reading of slides 18 and 19. "Under further study" seems code for "someday later". The short chunk of line west of the new "Weston Rd./Mount Dennis" underground station is marked "tail tracks."

Speaking to the spokesmen, they said the plans between Weston and Jane still have to be worked out and approved. They don't know where the portal will come out yet, if tunnel portion will be cut-and-cover or bored (I think it will likely be cut-and-cover), and if what properties would be affected.

We should know by autumn.

Here is a short video on the Tunnelling for The Crosstown:

[video=youtube;ovMnyoJfj0k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovMnyoJfj0k[/video]

Metrolinx is moving ahead on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT project, part of the Province's 8.4 billion dollar investment in transit expansion for Toronto. Construction will begin by digging tunnels that will be constructed by large tunnel boring machines or TBMs for short. Visit www.thecrosstown.ca to learn more.

I still do not know why these stations along Eginton have to take up valuable land and be centre stage. Do you see this happening along the Bloor line? They space should be reserved for business - retail, restaurants, etc. The design is so suburban like. The only thing missing is parking (I am being sarcastic, in case people actually think that I am saying there should be a parking lot}

All I can say seeing the portion of the video where they restrict Eglinton and Trethewey/Keele to 1 lane in each direction during the station box portion of the construction, and seeing Keele and Finch many times during its phases of construction with the station box is that its going to be very hell-ish during the school years, especially since there are 2 schools in the vicinity (York Memorial and George Harvey) adding the current troubled traffic and overcrowded frequent bus service, it won't be nice, but theres probably going to be worse spots such as Dufferin, and possibly the excavation shafts/station box at Yonge.

I still do not know why these stations along Eginton have to take up valuable land and be centre stage. Do you see this happening along the Bloor line? They space should be reserved for business - retail, restaurants, etc. The design is so suburban like. The only thing missing is parking (I am being sarcastic, in case people actually think that I am saying there should be a parking lot}

The stations will be important public spaces in their respective neighbourhoods. I don't see the design ideas as suburban at all. On the exterior, the stations will have entrance pavilions, but they're supposed to fit into the streetscape as well. Many of the Bloor line stations take up a block of space behind Bloor Street to accommodate bus platforms, and the Eglinton line stations will be more urban in this regard, with transfers to buses taking place on the street with shelter structures.

The stations will be important public spaces in their respective neighbourhoods. I don't see the design ideas as suburban at all. On the exterior, the stations will have entrance pavilions, but they're supposed to fit into the streetscape as well. Many of the Bloor line stations take up a block of space behind Bloor Street to accommodate bus platforms, and the Eglinton line stations will be more urban in this regard, with transfers to buses taking place on the street with shelter structures.

Even the old Yonge Subway station entrances have been shifted inside the buildings, if possible. The old outside steps have been replaced with steps, escalators, and sometimes elevators undercover of nearby buildings, leaving more sidewalk space.

Can't think of another reason why they would move the entrances away from the sidewalk and away from the side of the road...
52886bc149758ef5eab976c25ec3.jpg

All I can say seeing the portion of the video where they restrict Eglinton and Trethewey/Keele to 1 lane in each direction during the station box portion of the construction, and seeing Keele and Finch many times during its phases of construction with the station box is that its going to be very hell-ish during the school years, especially since there are 2 schools in the vicinity (York Memorial and George Harvey) adding the current troubled traffic and overcrowded frequent bus service, it won't be nice, but theres probably going to be worse spots such as Dufferin, and possibly the excavation shafts/station box at Yonge.

I'm not sure about the re-launch shaft for yonge, but the shaft where they remove the TBMs will be the bus terminal site, meaning minimal disruption.

I'm not sure about the re-launch shaft for yonge, but the shaft where they remove the TBMs will be the bus terminal site, meaning minimal disruption.

Until they have to do the cut-and-cover for the new station at Allen. Most likely the removal of the TBM will be the start of work for the station.

Were the stars to align for replacement of the SRT with a subway, would the city be able to eliminate the Eglinton/Kennedy road overpass? I see the structure as a blight that causes too much complexity for private and public transportation. Were it not there the Crosstown LRT could also simply move straight along a level Eglinton and perhaps keep going further east.

There is also the GO line that pass underneath Eglinton, but couldn't it be troughed?

Were the stars to align for replacement of the SRT with a subway, would the city be able to eliminate the Eglinton/Kennedy road overpass? I see the structure as a blight that causes too much complexity for private and public transportation. Were it not there the Crosstown LRT could also simply move straight along a level Eglinton and perhaps keep going further east.

There is also the GO line that pass underneath Eglinton, but couldn't it be troughed?

There's also a GO station there, and the tracks are scheduled to be double tracked. A reconstruction of the station may lead to more pedestrian connectivity, but I don't think the overpass would be going anywhere.

There's also a GO station there, and the tracks are scheduled to be double tracked. A reconstruction of the station may lead to more pedestrian connectivity, but I don't think the overpass would be going anywhere.

If you look you'll notice the GO Station does not impede Eglinton Avenue's progress. It's only the GO line, and any other traffic on the track, that cross the roadway.

The SRT is already planned to be underground at this location according to the current plans. But I don't see the advantage of removing the bridge considering that the GO line would have to be lowered and the Eglinton LRT stop would be for further away from the subway stop.

Back