News   May 27, 2024
 397     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 2.7K     2 
News   May 27, 2024
 569     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Since when?
I thought the whole point of transferring the SRT to LRT was so Eglinton and the SRT would become one complete continous line and avoid an uneeded transfer?

Yup, splitting them up is the height of stupidity.

And that's saying a lot, because the SELRT going ahead is also pretty damn stupid.

Yup, splitting them up is the height of stupidity.

And that's saying a lot, because the SELRT going ahead is also pretty damn stupid.

Is it really that dumb. If the Kennedy to Don Mills stretch is in the median, it cannot have the same level of service as the SRT – I assume they were thinking of having every second train turn back at Kennedy and every second train continue on Eglinton. If this were done, there would be minimal capacity available for boardings between Kennedy and Don Mills since many from the SRT would stay on the train. The plan relies on the SRT passengers transferring onto B-D subway to free up space for the boardings between Kennedy and Don Mills.

Either build a grade separated line between Kennedy and Don Mills (actually to Yonge or even all the way to Jane and beyond) and run the SRT through, or turn all the trains back at Kennedy and force a transfer for everyone. I do wonder if it is worth spending all the money on improving (but keeping) the transfer with an underground station.

Is it really that dumb. If the Kennedy to Don Mills stretch is in the median, it cannot have the same level of service as the SRT – I assume they were thinking of having every second train turn back at Kennedy and every second train continue on Eglinton. If this were done, there would be minimal capacity available for boardings between Kennedy and Don Mills since many from the SRT would stay on the train. The plan relies on the SRT passengers transferring onto B-D subway to free up space for the boardings between Kennedy and Don Mills.

Either build a grade separated line between Kennedy and Don Mills (actually to Yonge or even all the way to Jane and beyond) and run the SRT through, or turn all the trains back at Kennedy and force a transfer for everyone. I do wonder if it is worth spending all the money on improving (but keeping) the transfer with an underground station.

I think that even without the grade-separation on the eastern segment that running every train through would be ok. It may not be as fast as if it was ducking under intersections, but I think 1 train every 4-5 mins is still ok.

I think for people that they'll try out both routes and take whichever one they feel more comfortable with.

If it ends up being overloaded, turn every 3rd train back at Kennedy, but don't label them as separate lines. In the AM peak, none of the Eglinton trains should be short-turning at Kennedy, that's for sure.

This is bizzare. The TTC seems damned and determined to make sure that transit in Toronto require as many transfers as humanly possible.
If this isn't an admission that Eglinton TC using at grade will have capacity problems I don't know what is. Only in Toronto would they spend $6 billion on a line that they are already having to tinker with as it won't have the required capacity. This is getting more farcical as they days go by.
So if they are not going to interline the routes then what exactly is the reason for trashing the SRT to begin with? The SkyTrain is very reliable, comfortable, safe, and fast even in winter {and yes Vancouver does get snow} and it doesn't even have the heating mechanisms. The reason the SRT is unreliable and uncomfortable has nothing to do with the technology and everything to do with the TTC.

There are a whole bunch of surface corridors where you have to change buses at a subway station because the two routes are run on different frequencies and I have never once heard anyone claim that this arrangement is the "height of stupidity". But ask someone to step out of an LRT or subway train at a major transfer point and suddenly the entire network is doomed? Give me a break.

Not everyone can get a one seat ride. It's just impossible to plan like that and have an efficient network. Nobody likes transfers, but the ones planned at Don Mills and Kennedy are going to be around as painless as you can get.

There are a whole bunch of surface corridors where you have to change buses at a subway station because the two routes are run on different frequencies and I have never once heard anyone claim that this arrangement is the "height of stupidity". But ask someone to step out of an LRT or subway train at a major transfer point and suddenly the entire network is doomed? Give me a break.

Not everyone can get a one seat ride. It's just impossible to plan like that and have an efficient network. Nobody likes transfers, but the ones planned at Don Mills and Kennedy are going to be around as painless as you can get.

To be fair, I think splitting routes at subway stations is stupid too. Eglinton East and West should be 1 route, or at least have every 2nd bus continue through. If keeping to the schedule is a problem, put in a 5 min layover at Eglinton Stn to act as a buffer.

If keeping to the schedule is a problem, put in a 5 min layover at Eglinton Stn to act as a buffer.
With frequencies on Eglinton West of less than 2 minutes? Then you might as well get off the bus laying-over for 5 minutes, and go get on the one in front of it. Kind of defeats the point.

The shorter the bus route, the easier it is to keep it on schedule. This is why the short routes that run from the BD down to Queen/The Lake, etc. are so effective and popular.

With frequencies on Eglinton West of less than 2 minutes? Then you might as well get off the bus laying-over for 5 minutes, and go get on the one in front of it. Kind of defeats the point.

The shorter the bus route, the easier it is to keep it on schedule. This is why the short routes that run from the BD down to Queen/The Lake, etc. are so effective and popular.

During rush hour it isn't an issue, but I've waited 15 mins off peak to cross Yonge by bus, which is completely ridiculous.

During rush hour it isn't an issue, but I've waited 15 mins off peak to cross Yonge by bus, which is completely ridiculous.
Late evening? Weekend?

Not sure what your supposed to do. Eglinton must be one of the longer routes now, with an almost 2-hour time to do a circuit now at peak in both east and West. How long is too long. Is a 2-hour drive non-stop without even a chance to stand-up reasonable?

I suppose the LRT is the answer for this route, but it really only moves the transfer point to Kennedy (and to Jane until Phase 2 is built).

Smlrt

And for those of you complaining about the eglinton line not connecting to the SRT, the Scarborough Malvern Line still has to be built. It can handle the loads easier and will make eglinton a through route for the entire road right up morning side and then connect with the Sheppard LRT and UT Scarborough.

Back