News   Jun 26, 2024
 846     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 738     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 669     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

With a fully underground (or otherwise grade-separated) Eglinton concept, there was an expectation that it could help RELIEVE the Yonge line. (All else being equal.)

Right now, ALL transfers between east-west rapid transit and the Yonge line occur at Bloor-Yonge. If that traffic was split into two locations (with SRT users traferring at Eglinton), congestion at Bloor-Yonge would be relieved. This would allow for the dwell time at Bloor to be reduced, with dwell times there being one of the great barriers to increased frequency on Yonge.

Bloor-Eglinton would be busier, but overall crowding would be reduced.

With a fully underground (or otherwise grade-separated) Eglinton concept, there was an expectation that it could help RELIEVE the Yonge line. (All else being equal.)

Right now, ALL transfers between east-west rapid transit and the Yonge line occur at Bloor-Yonge. If that traffic was split into two locations (with SRT users traferring at Eglinton), congestion at Bloor-Yonge would be relieved. This would allow for the dwell time at Bloor to be reduced, with dwell times there being one of the great barriers to increased frequency on Yonge.

Bloor-Eglinton would be busier, but overall crowding would be reduced.

And also the fact that it would cross both branch of the YUS line is not to be neglected which is why I always supported the Sheppard Line being fully completed

Where in any Metrolinx publications do you see that Eglinton "fully underground" was ever meant to be a Bloor Danforth line relief?
Andrewpnk was saying something along the lines of it was good that Eglinton underground gained so many more passengers. As TTC demonstrated that these passengers were mostly being diverted from the Bloor Danforth line, then it's clear that under the Metrolinx-Ford plan, Eglinton was acting as a Bloor Danforth relief line. Whether Metrolinx called it this or not wasn't my point.

It's been said here on so many occasions...So I'll repeat. TTC riders WILL NOT pay the extra fare to take the GO within their own city. ... They wont use the GO no matter how much you want it...
As I've said on so many occasions...So I'll repeat. Fare integration would be necessary between TTC and GO.

Last edited:
Andrewpnk was saying something along the lines of it was good that Eglinton underground gained so many more passengers. As TTC demonstrated that these passengers were mostly being diverted from the Bloor Danforth line, then it's clear that under the Metrolinx-Ford plan, Eglinton was acting as a Bloor Danforth relief line. Whether Metrolinx called it this or not wasn't my point.

As I've said on so many occasions...So I'll repeat. Fare integration would be necessary between TTC and GO.

You honestly think GO/TTC fare integration is anywhere on the horizon? I hope you're right, but highly, highly doubt it.

I'm exceedingly disappointed that they are dropping through-routing of Eglinton and the SRT.

As Steve Munroe said:

And lower in the comments:

As for whether it will ever be an option in the future?

A big giant question.

Frankly, through routing of both the SRT and the Scarborough-Malvern line with the Eglinton line seems to be incredibly logical, and a relatively simple 3 track station layout would work. However, I'm sure that this would be unacceptable, and they will build a facility that locks in the existing operation.

What will Metrolinx/TTC be doing with the SRT now that it wont be replaced with the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT? Dosen't the SRT still need to be upgraded to LRT and don't the stations still need to be rebuilt by 2015.

I'll never understand why anyone would even consider building this line without total grade separation.
This already is the most expensive LRT line on the planet and most of it is already grade separated. For the sake of that small section from DM to Kennedy, the line will provide much lower ridership capacity. lower frequency capacity, a much slower trip along that stretch, and greatly inhibit the reliability of the line.

A rapid transit line is only as reliable as it's weakest link and if there is even a fender bender anytine along the at grade route the entire line comes to a screetching halt.

I think Ford is a dolt but I do agree that the entire line should be grade separated thru elevation along the DM to Kennedy section. This area is just commercial/industrial so it's not like it can ruin the area. It should naturally be elevated and LRT is the worst, both in term of capacity and cost, of the 4 available technologies. Even if you like the idea of LRT technology I still don't see how anyone can justify not making the line totally grade separated. The TTC and the City are always bitching about a lack of operational funds yet want to build the Eglinton line at grade. That small section means that the line cannot be automated which is a huge savings in operational costs. Vancouver' SkyTrain system cost {in 2009} just 87 cents per rider in operational costs, the SkyTrain system makes Translink a small fortune in it's operational budget.

Considering the massive amount of money going into this line, not making it grade separated and hence automated is extremely short sighted.

What will Metrolinx/TTC be doing with the SRT now that it wont be replaced with the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown LRT? Dosen't the SRT still need to be upgraded to LRT and don't the stations still need to be rebuilt by 2015.
The SRT will be rebuilt to use the LRT vehicles. They will all turn around at Kennedy Station.
Eglinton Crosstown will be built for LRT vehicles. They will all turn around at Kennedy Station.

The SRT will be rebuilt to use the LRT vehicles. They will all turn around at Kennedy Station.
Eglinton Crosstown will be built for LRT vehicles. They will all turn around at Kennedy Station.

Since when?
I thought the whole point of transferring the SRT to LRT was so Eglinton and the SRT would become one complete continous line and avoid an uneeded transfer?

Back