News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 961     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It's all about the schedule. Sure, if the schedule is padded, operators will slow down to avoid getting ahead of their timing. Set a proper schedule and they will use the line to its full extent.

- Paul
Another thing that would help is if the TTC used headway based schedule operation instead of timed schedule based operation, but it's wishful thinking that's not going to happen with them. And something that would never even be considered with Leary around.

Another thing that would help is if the TTC used headway based schedule operation instead of timed schedule based operation, but it's wishful thinking that's not going to happen with them. And something that would never even be considered with Leary around.

I do think that Crosstown may be more reliable on headways than surface streetcars, because the traffic signalling will kick in if a car is behind schedule, and because there will be few potential obstructions to create bunching.

The potential problem will mostly be padding either en route or at the ends of the route.

I wonder if operators will be scheduled on a staggered basis similar to the subway so that they have rest breaks without holding tramsets at the end of the line.

- Paul

I do think that Crosstown may be more reliable on headways than surface streetcars, because the traffic signalling will kick in if a car is behind schedule, and because there will be few potential obstructions to create bunching.

The potential problem will mostly be padding either en route or at the ends of the route.

I wonder if operators will be scheduled on a staggered basis similar to the subway so that they have rest breaks without holding tramsets at the end of the line.

- Paul
I'd imagine there will be step-back crewing on the line, but not sure if that would be a single-step back or double-step back. We'll have to see what happens on that end.

The potential scheduling padding issue is also one that I wouldnt be surprised to see.

Why do you think this? Buses often operate at 50 in 40 zones.
I pulled out waze on my phone once, he was going 85 in a 40 😆 This is before vision though
It's often faster to ride a bike than to take transit or drive. Not typically on a street like suburban Eglinton, but certainly anywhere downtown or along Yonge up to Eglinton (barring maybe the big hill, which is solved with an e-bike).
E bikes are great but besides the fact police don't care at all about property crime, the fact you're basically not allowed to use them on transit when the sun is up really turned me off getting one.

police don't care at all about property crime
This is why I have a Bike Share membership. I pretty much limit my own bike to recreational rides. If I'm actually going somewhere where the bike will be left for more than a few minutes then I'll use a Bike Share bike. No need to worry about theft. The only problem is the scarcity of available bikes at certain times.

This is why I have a Bike Share membership. I pretty much limit my own bike to recreational rides. If I'm actually going somewhere where the bike will be left for more than a few minutes then I'll use a Bike Share bike. No need to worry about theft. The only problem is the scarcity of available bikes at certain times.
This! Always park for 10 mins at most with my bike

Reactions: rbt
They're very expensive, but you can buy basically unbreakable locks now -- even power tools will wear out before they are cut. Removing an e-bike battery is also a deterrent, although a pain to carry around. I also confirmed in writing with my insurance company that my e-bike is covered under my home insurance policy if it is stolen on the street.

Overall, I don't worry too much about my e-bike being stolen, though I am lucky to be able to afford counter measures.

And a good strategy is to make sure your bike is slightly worse and your lock is slightly better than the other bikes around. My city bike is pretty bland looking (though it's tuned up well) and I have a good, but not necessarily top of the line lock. I have those unique keys for all the major removable components too (over the years I've had everything from bells to derailleurs stolen). Sadly, making your bike just a little harder to steal than the rest works.

Back