News   Jul 09, 2024
 51     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 454     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

In many ways, in terms of timeline and cost, it may be best for us as the public to accept the fact that we can’t predict big projects with absolute certainty, so the best we can do is design as much up front, share risk between the public and the contractor, try to release in stages, and accept some amount of cost overruns and timeline creep.

IMO.
Amen. There’s a lot of literarure out there documenting that only 20-30% of “megaprojects” come in on time and budget. Some are mismanaged or technical failures, but more often stuff happens and the project takes the hit.
ML has stood on its head creating and revising procurement models that firewall absolutely everyone in authority from any blame for cost or timeline deficiencies. It would be brilliant if it wasn’t so artificial and utterly counterproductive.
As to Crosstown specifically, The only thing that seems to have gone wrong was the slow.start and discovery glitches on the underpinned stations…. And maybe the whole strategy of deep bored tunnelling may not have been the optimal choice. There may be things to blame and hold people accountable for, but at this point it’s water over the dam in terms of project completion.
Sadly, the adversarial structure of the contract will prevent any serious attempt at lessons learned.

- Paul

Again that is entirely based on how it is implemented. The long stretches of few crossings and intersections and grass is much like the Barcelona Tram. Where is the significant slow down on the Barcelona Tram other than the stops? In the case of the intersection where you can't give the proper signal priority you dive under that intersection. It can work if the priority is on making it work.
This is no Barselona tram, this is downtown Ottawa

The Crosstown LRT is in downtown Ottawa? I think you need to re-examine the thread title and all the photos being posted in this thread. This is Scarborough and it is more suburban.
Look at the message I initially replied to. The context of this conversation was the initial LRT plan in Ottawa.

Notice the transit signals have English verbage signage to add to the clutter. Excellent for the non-English speaking residents and visitors.

Since they look the same as the regular traffic signals, expect to see motorists move with those transit signals because they can't read English.
Every English speaking country I've seen that has trams or LRT's always has english signs around the tram signals

Look at the message I initially replied to. The context of this conversation was the initial LRT plan in Ottawa.
Ok, my observations are about how signal priority can work... not about something in Ottawa that was never built. LRT can work, signal priority can work, it works in Barcelona, it could work in Scarborough if the people in charge set up the system correctly. It would work in Ottawa too, even downtown, but it would require completely closing a street like Queen, making it less pedestrian friendly (i.e. people crossing the street everywhere slows things), and running the crossings of cross streets with a high priority to the LRT. Unlike normal stop lights where cycles are timed, the system triggers yellow for the cross street at the perfect time for stragglers to clear the intersection and the LRT to see a go signal and be able to avoid slowing and the moment the LRT clears the intersection (assuming no other LRTs in the block) the green returns to the cross street. The cross street will likely get more green per hour than at most street intersections... especially those with turning lights. My general point is that signal priority works in areas except for those where it is not possible to get the track cleared of obstacles (i.e. gridlock, crowding, high pedestrian areas where the decision to not put up barriers to pedestrian access has been made, etc).

Part 6 of 7 taken at Cedarvale station on August 18, 2021

East Side (Part 1)

IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1292.jpg
IMG_1293.jpg
IMG_1294.jpg
IMG_1295.jpg
IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg
IMG_1298.jpg
IMG_1299.jpg
IMG_1300.jpg
IMG_1301.jpg
IMG_1302.jpg

Up next:

Part 7: East Side 2 of 2 + View from Aldburn Road

Will the grass effect the stopping distance of the trains? The water required to keep the grass green may defeat the purpose of making it more environmentally friendly. Not to mention mowing it.

Will the grass effect the stopping distance of the trains? The water required to keep the grass green may defeat the purpose of making it more environmentally friendly. Not to mention mowing it.
Grass clippings on the rail head can absolutely negatively affect the stopping distance. The TTC puts special rules into place all over their various rail systems in the fall due to this.

That said, it's unlikely that the grass will need to be mowed much at all, as the frequent passing of the trains will help keep the grass consistently short along most of the ROW. Only the couple of feet between the trains (and maybe 6 inches to the outside) won't be affected by the trains.

Dan

Back