News   Jul 09, 2024
 164     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 471     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.2K     7 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Reminds me of Ottawa's pre-Confederation Line LRT plan, which was entirely grade separated in the suburbs, but became a streetcar downtown where naturally, it would have become bogged down in traffic, and been no better than the buses it was meant to replace. Truly one of the dumbest transit plans in a long time. Thank god we didn't do that here.
What difference does it make if it's above or underground? It's all grade separated with transit priority signaling.

Part 4 of 7 taken at Cedarvale station on August 18, 2021

West Median

IMG_1270.jpg
IMG_1271.jpg
IMG_1272.jpg
IMG_1273.jpg
IMG_1274.jpg
IMG_1275.jpg
IMG_1276.jpg
IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1278.jpg
IMG_1279.jpg
IMG_1280.jpg
IMG_1281.jpg

Water bottles galore!

Up next:

Part 5: South Side

What difference does it make if it's above or underground? It's all grade separated with transit priority signaling.
Transit Signal Priority isn't this magic device that makes LRTs reliable, and often times weakens the reliability of the service in the grade separated sections. Also makes it so that anyone that needs to travel through the city is in a world of pain as it slowly travels on the city streets.

Transit Signal Priority isn't this magic device that makes LRTs reliable, and often times weakens the reliability of the service in the grade separated sections. Also makes it so that anyone that needs to travel through the city is in a world of pain as it slowly travels on the city streets.
For WHOM? The transit user or the single-occupant motorist?

Railways have had a signal priority from the beginning and it seems to work very well. Trains around the world roll through level crossings including crossings through the middle of intersections without needing to stop. Any inability to make transit signal priority work to the advantage of transit would have less to do with technical capabilities and more to do with the priority of the people setting things up.

This includes the bus riders on the crossing streets.
You haven't answered the question. How does prioritizing an LRT line decrease reliability on said line?

You haven't answered the question. How does prioritizing an LRT line decrease reliability on said line?
Currently, Toronto's Transportation Department prioritizes the single-occupant motorist turning left. We'll see if they finally give in to the public transit user, or remain devoted to the almighty automobile gods.

Hey all, got the chance to ride part of the surface section today, I'll have a video out tomorrow - here are some pics in the meantime. Probably not a lot we haven't seen, but ey . . . more the merrier?

View attachment 344448
Very exciting!. Nice moquette, it has some style unlike the outside of the vehicle okay I'll get off my hobby horse now

Hey all, got the chance to ride part of the surface section today, I'll have a video out tomorrow - here are some pics in the meantime. Probably not a lot we haven't seen, but ey . . . more the merrier?

240809098_372319074507228_7274066607379332020_n-jpeg.344448
I see the "stop request" buttons, but what about the "stop request" pull cords?

Very exciting!. Nice moquette, it has some style unlike the outside of the vehicle okay I'll get off my hobby horse now

I may be coming around to the moquette, but yeah the outside is . . . not great. Someone asked me sincerely when they were planning on finishing the paint job (yikes).

I see the "stop request" buttons, but what about the "stop request" pull cords?

No cords, just like the streetcars. I think buttons are more refined anyways ;). No plans to use them tho.

I dunno, the grey complements the green pretty well.....

Sure looks nice now that it's starting to come together.

The roadway on Eglinton is so chopped up and constricted that it may be an unfair test, but even with the numerous stops to check things and walk over parts, I again had trouble keeping up with the LRV in my car.

One observation: The horns on the LRV are totally non-distinctive. They were sounded at every intersection.... but they sound so much like car or truck horns that the average motorist would not have their attention drawn towards the tram. The bell is too soft to serve this purpose, but I would encourage ML to find a more distinctive horn sound that can't be mistaken for something else.

- Paul

20210827  TTC 6244 Crosstown a.jpg

Back