940     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 276     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 343     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Dufferin

x42q8ud8ctq61.jpg

I know I gave Metrolinx a lot of flak some pages back about the ‘T’ symbol, lack of operator signage, and whether this was solving a real need.

Whatever.

But, they should at least stick to their own guidelines. I can’t accept that the project was so far along that they couldn’t change the signage on stations following the report.
Exactly especially becue the TTC was able to change out their signage when they adopted the new line numbers fairly quickly after they announced it.

Also LED is easier to see under most lighting conditions whereas LCD can be hard to see if the sun is right on it. LED screens are the ones used by the TTC on buses and, streetcars and all of the signs on the subways along with the ones they are installing at bus and streetcar stops.
LED and Dot Matrix are synonyms?

just noticed how the offload spur is not really efficiently constructed.. they have to back the train in move the ramp in, pull the LRV off, move the ramp off then push it in the actual yard tracks and finally retrieve the car.
Wouldnt it have been more easier to have the spur configured so that the green ramp is on the other side so they can back the car in and move the LRV off without having to go through this zig zag zig zag process?

just noticed how the offload spur is not really efficiently constructed.. they have to back the train in move the ramp in, pull the LRV off, move the ramp off then push it in the actual yard tracks and finally retrieve the car.
Wouldnt it have been more easier to have the spur configured so that the green ramp is on the other side so they can back the car in and move the LRV off without having to go through this zig zag zig zag process?
It's not like this track would be necessary after all 76 LRVs have arrived. It takes longer to offload the LRV than to move it so I don't think it's a huge issue. It's a dead end on the other side so placing the green ramp there is pointless. This offloading track is a wye, one side the CP trailer enters, the other side the LRV enter the yard. To have the green ramp on the other side, either offload on CP tracks or build a new bridge over Ray Avenue and buy off part of the Canada Post parking lot to build a track there so there's enough space to satisfy having the ramp on the other side. (Check out Google maps) They don't need to blow millions more on some occasional use ramp!

LED and Dot Matrix are synonyms?
I think DoMaterix was a much older system the newer ones use single-colour LEDs. Just because a display can't show multiple colours don't make it be older technology. Also, certain colours show up better in all lighting conditions which is why the TTC switched from yellow/ green to orange for the signs on the buses and streetcars

I think DoMaterix was a much older system the newer ones use single-colour LEDs. Just because a display can't show multiple colours don't make it be older technology. Also, certain colours show up better in all lighting conditions which is why the TTC switched from yellow/ green to orange for the signs on the buses and streetcars
You mean flip dot signs used on old buses that uses a magnet. That is ancient tech from the 80s and 90s.

Dot Matrix simply means the sign is x by y dimension driven by a small computer (microcontroller) that will translate a message to it's proper output (dots on the sign). It could be flip dots or LEDs.

You mean flip dot signs used on old buses that uses a magnet. That is ancient tech from the 80s and 90s.

Dot Matrix simply means the sign is x by y dimension driven by a small computer (microcontroller) that will translate a message to it's proper output (dots on the sign). It could be flip dots or LEDs.
Yes and that is all that is needed for a next stop display as an LCD screen would need to have a shade on it to be able to be read in direct sunlight even then it would be hard to read.

Southwest secondary entrance of Oakwood station on April 4, 2021:

View attachment 310378
This white "brick" facade they're using on each station really stands out on the street. It makes finding the stations really easy, even without reading signage.

Thanks for all the images @Johnny Au

How far have the overhead catenary been powered up to? How far have the light rail vehicles been able to move up to in the tunnels? Will any of the light rail vehicles be able to used on the east end for testing purposes yet?

Back