News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 955     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Elevated is the worst of all options -- it is hugely visually intrusive, and would loom over the neighbourhoods it runs through.

If the line is elevated only where it crosses the major streams, that won't be a problem. For example if it runs on a bridge over the West Don river between Leslie and Don Mills, there won't be any residents who have a reason to complain.

Elevated is the worst of all options -- it is hugely visually intrusive, and would loom over the neighbourhoods it runs through.

What neighbourhoods? Are you talking about the big box store that run along that 6 lane arterial road we call Eglinton

If the line is elevated only where it crosses the major streams, that won't be a problem. For example if it runs on a bridge over the West Don river between Leslie and Don Mills, there won't be any residents who have a reason to complain.

Or, I don't know, you could build it in the center of the existing bridge and save the cost of a new bridge.

i agree we should use the existing bridge and then continue to tunnel afterwards.

You know, that's not such a crazy suggestion at that point -- you've tunnelled through Leaside, pop out across ET Seton to use the bridge, then tunnel rather than make the train climb the grade up to Don Mills. It would allow you to have an underground station at Don Mills & Eg (in a perfect world, you'd connect an underground walkway into the Science Centre by using its surface parking lot for the station and add parking under/over the station, for commuters and OSC tourists. (In an even more perfect world, you'd run an LRT down Don Mills to connect into my new commuter transport hub.))

However, and with this mayor it's a huge but... you pretty much need to come back above ground on the other side of Don Mills until you get up the hill past Bermondsey. That'll be a game breaker for His Worship, 'cause an underground station with surface tracks will be diametrically opposite his vision.

Last edited:
Can they run in-median over the bridge and still use automatic train operation?

Because if not, it's really hard to come up with a business case for underground operation beyond appeasing the whims of a mayor who is, by all accounts, pretty damn unpopular.

At least let council debate and vote on it. We could presumably save a lot of money on Eglinton and use that money to provide some kind of enhanced transit service on Finch.

Can they expand the bridge and run the tracks to the south of the current traffic lanes?

At least let council debate and vote on it. We could presumably save a lot of money on Eglinton and use that money to provide some kind of enhanced transit service on Finch.

You sure about that?
Knowing your Mayor, he'll probably salivate at those savings so that he could put it towards extending the Sheppard line.

You sure about that?
Knowing your Mayor, he'll probably salivate at those savings so that he could put it towards extending the Sheppard line.

You'd think so, but he's the one that's insisting on going underground for that whole stretch. He's a complicated man...

You'd think so, but he's the one that's insisting on going underground for that whole stretch. He's a complicated man...

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman (brother? Giorgio Mammoliti?)...

Rob Ford wishes he was John Shaft!

Can they run in-median over the bridge and still use automatic train operation?

I don't see why not. There are quite a few heavy rail metros in the world that emerge from an underground tunnel to cross a major river on a bridge in the median of an arterial road. Here's an example of this in Rome.

All you would really need to do is erect a tall fence on either side of the ROW to prevent trespassing.

I don't see why not. There are quite a few heavy rail metros in the world that emerge from an underground tunnel to cross a major river on a bridge in the median of an arterial road. Here's an example of this in Rome.

All you would really need to do is erect a tall fence on either side of the ROW to prevent trespassing.

Exactly.
There aren't any intersections on the bridge, are there? So it's still exclusive right of way - just fence it off.
I really don't see what the fuss is all about.

Back