News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 999     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 371     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

You know, that's not such a crazy suggestion at that point -- you've tunnelled through Leaside, pop out across ET Seton to use the bridge, then tunnel rather than make the train climb the grade up to Don Mills.
Isn't the big issue here, the Don River crossing between the Don Valley Parkway and Bermondsey, not the smaller west branch crossing between Leslie and Don Mills road, which seems to not be such a big deal, and would only require a bit of modification from the currently approved plans.

Though I'd think something akind to what they were already planning, with an extra portal somewhere west of Bermondsey is the simple answer.

Isn't the big issue here, the Don River crossing between the Don Valley Parkway and Bermondsey, not the smaller west branch crossing between Leslie and Don Mills road, which seems to not be such a big deal, and would only require a bit of modification from the currently approved plans.

Though I'd think something akind to what they were already planning, with an extra portal somewhere west of Bermondsey is the simple answer.

Well if this crossing is to be underground, there are no approved plans.

I don't see why not. There are quite a few heavy rail metros in the world that emerge from an underground tunnel to cross a major river on a bridge in the median of an arterial road. Here's an example of this in Rome.

All you would really need to do is erect a tall fence on either side of the ROW to prevent trespassing.

As long as it doesn't stop at any red lights...I just don't trust the city and TTC over priority lights for Transit.

As long as it doesn't stop at any red lights...I just don't trust the city and TTC over priority lights for Transit.

The good news is this would be the only point where the LRT line would meet a set of red lights, and this also happens to be one of the stops. Its not a big deal if the LRT stops at Leslie, and also not a big deal if the LRT needs to hold the light green so it can go through. The trains will be travelling several minutes apart, and will take a few seconds to cross the intersection. Barely any inconvenience for transit riders or drivers.

The good news is this would be the only point where the LRT line would meet a set of red lights, and this also happens to be one of the stops. Its not a big deal if the LRT stops at Leslie, and also not a big deal if the LRT needs to hold the light green so it can go through. The trains will be travelling several minutes apart, and will take a few seconds to cross the intersection. Barely any inconvenience for transit riders or drivers.

But that can become a capacity bottleneck. The new peak ridership projection for the fully unified Eglinton - Scarborough line is about 12,000 pphpd, or a train every 150 seconds.

The west branch crossing is arguably the most important, as it will affect the busiest Don Mills - Yonge section.

But that can become a capacity bottleneck. The new peak ridership projection for the fully unified Eglinton - Scarborough line is about 12,000 pphpd, or a train every 150 seconds.

And the total light cycle lasts less than 150 seconds, so its not an issue.

The west branch crossing is arguably the most important, as it will affect the busiest Don Mills - Yonge section.
That's not difficult to deal with though. They simply take the existing design, swap the tracks and the eastbound lanes, and shuffle the two portals south a bit to avoid the red light. Eliminate the old overpass to the IBM facility if it's in the way ... or shift the entrance to it east of the portal. You'll get an outdoor Leslie station ... but you wouldn't have LRT having to cross any roadway.

Last edited:
I'm not overly worried about this. As long as Eglinton is getting built, for real, I'm happy. Hard to believe that TYSSE and Eglinton are both "under construction".

Hard to believe that TYSSE and Eglinton are both "under construction".
It is really quite stunning, when you think where we were only 5 years ago. And when you look at the other major transit infrastructure with shovels in the ground in the GTA (Transitway, Viva, various subway station rebuilds (Pape, Dufferin, Victoria Park, etc.), Union subway second platform, Union Station (railway) rebuild, Air Rail Link, Ashbridges Bay streetcar yards (for new streetcars), umpteem GO expansion projects including Barrie and Kitchener extensions, etc). Compare to Montreal and Vancouver ... and even Ottawa. I can't think of even a couple of active big projects for any of those cities ... the only one that really comes to mind is the new commuter rail line in Montreal to Repentigny. Lots of great plans for all those cities ... but not a lot of shovels in the ground.

As much as we complain about what's not being built - what we are building is quite stunning when you stop and think about it.

And the total light cycle lasts less than 150 seconds, so its not an issue.
Unless the trains are timed to cross at the same time in opposite directions at each intersection, there'd be train crossing less than every 150 seconds. Also cars do not just go on green when they're in a line. It takes a while to start moving after the light turns green. With the LRT having priority at interestions, the green light phase duration will probably be cut short.

Last edited:
That's not difficult to deal with though. They simply take the existing design, swap the tracks and the eastbound lanes, and shuffle the two portals south a bit to avoid the 2 red light. Eliminate the old overpass to the IBM facility if it's in the way ... or shift the entrance to it east of the portal. You'll get an outdoor Leslie station ... but you wouldn't have LRT having to cross any roadway.
This would be the best option, except, this sort of brilliant option don't usually end up being considered/built.

I'm not overly worried about this. As long as Eglinton is getting built, for real, I'm happy. Hard to believe that TYSSE and Eglinton are both "under construction".

On my way home from Simpsons Trivia last night, I was going up Black Creek and at Eglinton there now seems to be a crane and definite construction activity happening there. Though I'm not sure if it's for The Crosstown or if it's for the Community Centre that supposed to go into that corner of land on the southeast side of Black Creek and Eglinton.

Yes, they are putting piles into Eglinton at Keelesdale Park in front of the York Civic Building..

Lots of shoring rigs are on site, all related to getting the place ready for the launch of the boring machines next year.

Back