News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

We're sitting here arguing over saving Malvernites 10 mins with a billion dollar LRT on Sheppard when there's a viable rail line right through the community that could save the majority of Malvernites heading to the core an hour or more, for half the price. .

TC was billion dollar plan that covered the entire City not JUST malvern. THE SRT extension which was the single LRT line which would help malvern was no where near a Billion dollars.

People are being over dramatic about TRANSIT CITY costs. When in reality everything Surface level was a DEAL in comparison to Subway costs. Its the underground section which costs a fortune. Guess what? SUBWAYS cost a Fortune too.

Guess what? SUBWAYS cost a Fortune too.

I'm pretty sure that is the whole point of that post.

People push really hard for subways because it would be cheaper for them, even though they're far more expensive overall. TTC is $2.50 flat fare, while a trip on GO would probably cost over $5. It's the usual issue: people only think about what affects them directly. The same issue is present with driving. Emissions, parking lots, roads etc. have significant costs, but drivers don't care because they are not charged for them.

The solution, just like in the case of driving, is to charge people in a way which directly reflects the costs they are incurring. There's no reason a GO train is so fundamentally different than a subway that we should be charging people double the price to ride. To optimally manage demand, the fare system should ignore who owns what infrastructure and who runs what service. Instead, it should focus on the most effective way of getting large numbers of people from A to B.

In practice, it would mean harmonizing GO and TTC fares, and probably involve some kind of distance fee such as zones or timed fares, to increase costs for long-distance local transit commuters while making local trips cheaper.

Regarding the topic, I agree with MisterF.

The main objection to having Edmonton or Calgary-style LRT with complete railway-style priority is that it would delay motorists. In other words, the same argument as against every other infrastructure improvement.
By the time the designs for the outer segments of the Eglinton LRT are finalized, Rob Ford will be gone and we can do the logical thing (not spending a billion dollars to save motorists a minute or two).

Last edited:
TC was billion dollar plan that covered the entire City not JUST malvern. THE SRT extension which was the single LRT line which would help malvern was no where near a Billion dollars.

People are being over dramatic about TRANSIT CITY costs. When in reality everything Surface level was a DEAL in comparison to Subway costs. Its the underground section which costs a fortune. Guess what? SUBWAYS cost a Fortune too.

He wasn't talking about subways, he was talking about spending the money that would have been spent on 3 LRTs to Malvern to go into electrifying GO Transit instead. Nowhere in that quote did he mention subways at all...

And where do you get that the SRT extension and conversion was "nowhere near a billion dollars". Based on TTC cost projections, it was supposed to be $1.4 billion to go from Kennedy to Sheppard.

Thank goodness for councillors who are focused on local transportation rather than long distance transportation because the TTC isn't meant to provide similar function to GO, VIA, or Greyhound. They are a local transit agency like Oakville Transit, Mississauga Transit, etc. The fare is fixed fare across the city to fiscally it makes no sense to serve the longer commutes with special treatment without the double fare paid on rocket routes. On some lines it makes sense for them to install high capacity systems, and on some it doesn't. GO Transit is the longer commute transit agency.

Except GO Transit doesn't accomplish all that much for the vast majority of 416 residents. And the TTC's myopic focus on long-distance travel means that there's a lot of 416 residents who take 1-1.5 hrs to get to the core on multi-billion dollar subways while 905 residents make it there in half the time on systems that cost a tenth of the cost to expand.

Toronto is massive. It's geographically a lot bigger than any one of those individual 905 muncipalities. So ignoring long-distance travel when that's travel that could be entirely within the municipality, is a really flawed idea.

Except that the lowest hanging fruit has already been had - significant increase in GO capacity from now on will not be cheap. To have a rail-based system that is truly useful for multi-directional network travel (vs. the existing low frequency and more or less uni-directional service) will cost umpteen billions, just like subways would. It's not as either long-distance commuter rail or local transit as one would it make it out to be.

Besides, cross-municipality commuters as the only group worth considering is very much a figment of the limitations of the GO system planning. Suburban patterns of transit usage, which in itself consist of what percentage of the modal split in said area? To argue that local transit is a "social engineering" exercise just does not reflect the reality of an increasingly dense central/inner suburban form and its' transit requirements.

AoD

Last edited:

TC was a plan that was going to cost at least $12 billion and likely much more than that. The Sheppard line alone was nearly a billion bucks. The SRT extension and Morningside LRT were also heading to Malvern. And by the TTC's own documents, released at their open houses, all those billions would have saved most riders between 10-20 minutes. Hardly all that meaningful when you're still left with an hour long commute.

Nobody's being dramatic about anything. Some of us are merely decrying the one size fits all approach as inappropriate. And we're also questioning value for money. LRT does give you more kilometres per $. But that's not the metric most riders care about. They care about one thing and one thing only: how fast they'll get to their destination. By this metric, LRT was poor value. Subway may not have been better either, because there's a trade-off between the subway's speed and how far you can extend the subway. The best-return on this front would have been the GO network. That's one system that would have gotten residents to the core very quickly.

I'm pretty sure that is the whole point of that post.

Not quite. I was suggesting that spending billions to only improve commute times by 10-15 mins is wasteful.

People push really hard for subways because it would be cheaper for them, even though they're far more expensive overall. TTC is $2.50 flat fare, while a trip on GO would probably cost over $5. It's the usual issue: people only think about what affects them directly. The same issue is present with driving. Emissions, parking lots, roads etc. have significant costs, but drivers don't care because they are not charged for them.

Yeesh. It's nonsense like this that makes fair debate impossible.

This is urbantoronto urban myths. The public wants subways because they believe subways get them to their destinations really fast. Not because of some fare differential (which can easily be fixed through policy changes) or because they are selfish motorists. And the public most certainly does not care about gentrification and planning. They want to get from A to B as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

The solution, just like in the case of driving, is to charge people in a way which directly reflects the costs they are incurring. There's no reason a GO train is so fundamentally different than a subway that we should be charging people double the price to ride. To optimally manage demand, the fare system should ignore who owns what infrastructure and who runs what service. Instead, it should focus on the most effective way of getting large numbers of people from A to B.

I agree. And I think the same argument should be applied to infrastructure investment too. The dollars should go to the projects that provide the most bang for the buck for the most people, taking into account the whole region. This is where Metrolinx dropped the ball.

Once you start looking at the 416 and its networks as part of a region, everything changes. A short subway extension to Agincourt (to connect to the GO line) makes sense. LRT on Ellesmere instead of Sheppard makes more sense (a point that was supported by Durham region). Eglinton makes sense. Midtown GO makes sense. Electrification of GO makes sense. Adding GO stations inside the 416 and integrating fares with the TTC makes sense. Etc.

In practice, it would mean harmonizing GO and TTC fares, and probably involve some kind of distance fee such as zones or timed fares, to increase costs for long-distance local transit commuters while making local trips cheaper.

Sadly, I don't see it happening. This is why I firmly believe the subway and LRT networks should be put under the same management as the GO network.

The main objection to having Edmonton or Calgary-style LRT with complete railway-style priority is that it would delay motorists. In other words, the same argument as against every other infrastructure improvement.
By the time the designs for the outer segments of the Eglinton LRT are finalized, Rob Ford will be gone and we can do the logical thing (not spending a billion dollars to save motorists a minute or two).

Don't mistake Rob Ford's views for the public's views. Yes, he wanted the lines buried to avoid conflicts with traffic (though mind you, it's not all bad...grade separation helps the LRT too). The majority of the public cared about speed and access from the comments I saw at the Sheppard Open houses. Questions focused on how much time would be saved, construction disruption and whether a long walk to the nearest stop was involved. Traffic interference was one among many concerns. Not the only one.

Except that the lowest hanging fruit has already been had - significant increase in GO capacity from now on will not be cheap. To have a rail-based system that is truly useful for multi-directional network travel (vs. the existing low frequency and more or less uni-directional service) will cost umpteen billions, just like subways would.

AoD

Really? I don't know the numbers but it is hard to imagine that "S-Bahn" on the GO network would cost anything like subway expansion. Twinning tracks in existing ROWs means no land acquisition costs, no tunneling, and stations that cost about 5%? of TTC subway stations. If you think electrification is a necessary condition for local service that does change the economics a bit, but I cannot imagine it would take us to $400 million/km.

In other words it does seem to me that the main obstacle is TTC-Metrolinx politics, and fare integration.

Except that the lowest hanging fruit has already been had - significant increase in GO capacity from now on will not be cheap. To have a rail-based system that is truly useful for multi-directional network travel (vs. the existing low frequency and more or less uni-directional service) will cost umpteen billions, just like subways would. It's not as either long-distance commuter rail or local transit as one would it make it out to be.

Besides, cross-municipality commuters as the only group worth considering is very much a figment of the limitations of the GO system planning. Suburban patterns of transit usage, which in itself consist of what percentage of the modal split in said area? To argue that local transit is a "social engineering" exercise just does not reflect the reality of an increasingly dense central/inner suburban form and its' transit requirements.

AoD

The cost of expanding GO is far, far lower per km than subway extensions. The largest cost by far is expanding Union Station (where I suspect that tunneling additional platforms under the station will be needed to significantly expand rush hour service) which will cost billions, but this is a one time cost. However adding off peak service is very cheap. For example electrification of Lakeshore from Hamilton to Oshawa, a distance of 113.7 km, and 15 minute off peak service could be done very cheaply and quickly, as most of the infrastructure is already in place; the main cost is buying the remaining rail lines from CN, putting up overhead wires and buying EMUs.

Subways to Agincourt certainly does not make sense if you are arguing for a wholesale system reorganization to focus on feeding GO stations - there is nothing along Sheppard that would somehow generate so much traffic that would demand subway level capacity. To argue for the most bang for the buck and then suggest this project as sound misses the mark.

AoD

The cost of expanding GO is far, far lower per km than subway extensions. The largest cost by far is expanding Union Station (where I suspect that tunneling additional platforms under the station will be needed to significantly expand rush hour service) which will cost billions, but this is a one time cost. However adding off peak service is very cheap. For example electrification of Lakeshore from Hamilton to Oshawa, a distance of 113.7 km, and 15 minute off peak service could be done very cheaply and quickly, as most of the infrastructure is already in place; the main cost is buying the remaining rail lines from CN, putting up overhead wires and buying EMUs.

To say that those things (electification, rolling stock, purchasing remaining rail lines - assuming they are for sale) is cheap without quoting any dollar figures is just that. Besides, why discount anything as a "one time cost"? Infrastructure in general, regardless of whether it is a subway, rail corridor or stations of various sorts are all one time cost, save maintenance. And interestingly you have suggested per km as the metric. What about per rider?

AoD

Last edited:
Except that the lowest hanging fruit has already been had - significant increase in GO capacity from now on will not be cheap.
But it will still be cheaper than a lot of other projects. For the price of Transit City, we would have electrified the entire GO network, added a bunch of stations inside the 416, added new GO lines, added the rolling stock necessary to support increased services and paid for the full rollout of Presto to support fare integration....and still had money leftover.

To have a rail-based system that is truly useful for multi-directional network travel (vs. the existing low frequency and more or less uni-directional service) will cost umpteen billions, just like subways would. It's not as either long-distance commuter rail or local transit as one would it make it out to be.

Umpteen billions yes. But still cheaper than the many billions that had been budgeted for Transit City. I'm sure you saw the cost data in the GO electrification study. $4 billion to electrify the whole GO network. I'm not suggesting that local transit does not need to be addressed. But spending billions on an LRT network that will function in large part as a long-haul network is clearly not the wisest use of money.

Sure. But is that universally true across the city? Central Eglinton maybe. But how much need was there for LRT on Morningside?

All I am suggesting is that we should have spend the billions on the long haul network first. After this, it would have been much easier to identify and fill the local transit gaps. Transit City was an attempt at solving both local and long haul transit needs and was sub-par on both fronts. It didn't do much for long-haul commuters. And it was far too spaced out (compared to existing bus services) for local travellers. And let's not suggest that there wasn't any "social engineering" aspect to the plan at all. One of the first sales pitches of Transit City was that it would service depressed socio-economic areas.

Indeed, in the context of this thread...had we had such an advanced GO network (including a crosstown GO line), it would have been very hard to argue for burial of all the LRT lines. They would rightly have been defended as cheaper, more local transit lines.

Last edited:
Subways to Agincourt certainly does not make sense if you are arguing for a wholesale system reorganization to focus on feeding GO stations - there is nothing along Sheppard that would somehow generate so much traffic that would demand subway level capacity. To argue for the most bang for the buck and then suggest this project as sound misses the mark.

AoD

I have suggested before that the extension to Agincourt would not be to feed GO but rather to allow riders coming in from Markham to then be able to travel west to the northern portions of Yonge. I was not referring to an STC-Agincourt link to feed the GO line. That said, it's my opinon. I'm not wedded to the idea. I'm more passionate about the general idea that resources should be put into the GO rail network to allow it to do more long-haul inside the 416. One GO line I'd sincerely like to see is the Cross-town with a stop in Malvern. That would do a lot more than even that SRT extension (especially as proposed to just the edge of the community).

Keithz:

Wait a second here, if you are going to quote the GO report (p. 79), you'd have to note that the report assumes this:

The level of service assumed to operate on the network is one of the key factors in delivering benefits associated with electrification. The level of service assumed in the Reference Case has been designed by GO Transit and Metrolinx to satisfy the expected ridership demands in the future while respecting the operational constraints at Union Station.

Those ridership figures does not take into account a wholesale shift of riders from the TTC to the GO.

The Big Move envisaged a level of service over and above that assumed in the Reference Case, and demand levels anticipated in that document on some or all of the corridors may exceed those forecast with the Reference Case levels of service.

Once the trains have reached their maximum length, the only way to increase capacity further is to operate a more intensive pattern of service. To operate a more intensive service through Union Station in the peak hours is not possible without changing both the infrastructure at the station and operating practices, but it is possible that either of these could be implemented within a 30‐year timeframe.

That tells me it is theoretically possible for an operational perspective - but nothing on the cost of such a scheme. I am not against these schemes - in fact I think it is long overdue, but I don't think it should be at the cost of transportation system improvements within the core city.

Sure. But is that universally true across the city? Central Eglinton maybe. But how much need was there for LRT on Morningside?

I don't think anyone is serious about Morningside LRT (or Jane) at this point in time, just as I don't think the whole TC scheme as it was proposed is a good idea.

All I am suggesting is that we should have spend the billions on the long haul network first. After this, it would have been much easier to identify and fill the local transit gaps.

But the question is - how many riders are supposed to benefit from spending the billions on the long haul? As you have read in the report, those figures (beyond the base case projections) are a big question mark.

Transit City was an attempt at solving both local and long haul transit needs and was sub-par on both fronts. It didn't do much for long-haul commuters. And it was far too spaced out (compared to existing bus services) for local travellers.

The funny thing though is that I've heard from certain quarters subways in the place of TC will somehow banish the very same shortcomings. The problem isn't that, but where the lines were. And the station spacing issue is bit of an excuse as well - no one argues Yonge line north of Eglinton is not "local" - and yet they are further apart than TC Eglinton stations.

And let's not suggest that there wasn't any "social engineering" aspect to the plan at all. One of the first sales pitches of Transit City was that it would service depressed socio-economic areas.

I don't buy the social engineering aspect as presented - but at the same time, I will certainly argue the city building (as per the Official Plan) aspect certainly has merit along clear corridors of development where there is already significant transit usage.

Indeed, in the context of this thread...had we had such an advanced GO network (including a crosstown GO line), it would have been very hard to argue for burial of all the LRT lines. They would rightly have been defended as cheaper, more local transit lines.

Perhaps, except that we don't have a GO crosstown anywhere in the plans. I'd rather take the shovel that's already in the ground at this point. And unless the Crosstown GO has relatively frequent stops (by subway standards), it won't do much for local transit at all.

AoD

Last edited:
Except that the lowest hanging fruit has already been had - significant increase in GO capacity from now on will not be cheap.

We don't yet have the full benefit of recent track purchases (Barrie line for example).

Ignoring the cost of projects already underway (Union, grade separations, etc.), new segments like Niagara Falls/Kitchener, and Milton corridor; I think you could get 10 to 15 minute all-day service on all lines for about $5B in capital based on the electrification study.

The tunnel into Hamilton James Street station, under the Welland Canal, and getting two dedicated tracks on the Milton corridor will be an additional $4B.

Operations subsidy is another discussion.

The really really big expense coming up in the next decade will be boosting rush-hour service on Lake Shore West to 3 minute or better frequencies as bi-level or 90 second on single-level rolling stock. It currently has 12 minute frequencies during PM rush (4pm to 6pm).

The union station rebuild, track purchases, and other projects underway can get Lake Shore down to about 6 minute frequencies. Better than that requires electrification (already beneficial today on Lake Shore) and probably a multi-stop tunnel through downtown.

We will see if McGuinty can continue to fund the aggressive track purchasing strategy and other Go capital improvements. NDP will likely want to redirect some of that money toward operations subsidy.

rbt:

I think they already took the current round of Union Station redo into account in the report - any real capacity expansion for that bottleneck will require additional changes at the station, to which there are no publically available cost information. Nor has the Union Station Capacity Study been released either. Either way I think the relative lack of funding for transit capital improvements over the last what, 40 years are starting to show.

AoD

Back