News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 600     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

What's GO-REX....

GWEEDs acronym for REGIONAL EXPRESS - I think if i remember correctly its the new GO service hes suggesting Toronto should be getting... Essentially more stops in Toronto with presto... For the 905ers they get more frequency on their lines. During times like rush hour the 905 lines might bypass toronto stops... Anyways thats my summary but maybe you should ask either GWEED or Keithz

Last edited:
I agree. Places like Weston would or could become Hot spots... A quick LRT ride to either spadina line or Yonge line... but also quick ride to bloor or downtown.... My suggestion is that if a person lived in weston his ticket downtown via GO/rex should be about 4$ with the ability to transfer downtown onto streetcars or subway for free. But if the rider chose to LRT and subway it to union it should cost the rider 3$.... Does that make sense... Either way places like WESTON which are a relative disaster right now would see huge redevelopment and huge price increases.

The same will be true for areas like Mimico, Victoria Park & Lawrence Area, and pretty much anywhere along Dupont St.

As for the pricing, I'd like to see it be $2.50 for subway or bus, and $3.00 for GO (token/Presto fare, cash would be higher).

Heres a Question to you and KEITZ about presto and fare by distance. What would the price be to get downtown via Subway from Sheppard west station? In contrast what would be the price to get downtown via GO train from Sheppard West station? is there a difference?

As far as I know there isn't a station at Sheppard West yet. But the adult fare from York University station to Union is $4.35. From Long Branch it's $4.30. So there is a small premium for GO Transit, but it isn't a huge difference.

GWEEDs acronym for REGIONAL EXPRESS - I think if i remember correctly its the new GO service hes suggesting Toronto should be getting... Essentially more stops in Toronto with presto... For the 905ers they get more frequency on their lines. During times like rush hour the 905 lines might bypass toronto stops... Anyways thats my summary but maybe you should ask either GWEED or Keithz

Think the GTA's version of Berlin's S-Bahn system. It wasn't me who came up with GO-REX, someone on here mentioned it a long time ago. I just like the name because it's both catchy, and it describes it well.

The same will be true for areas like Mimico, Victoria Park & Lawrence Area, and pretty much anywhere along Dupont St.

As for the pricing, I'd like to see it be $2.50 for subway or bus, and $3.00 for GO (token/Presto fare, cash would be higher).

As far as I know there isn't a station at Sheppard West yet. But the adult fare from York University station to Union is $4.35. From Long Branch it's $4.30. So there is a small premium for GO Transit, but it isn't a huge difference.

OK I can get on board with that pricing... nobody wants the difference to be so big that either people continue to drive or they dont use the service... And yea there would be a huge amount of transformation in the city. I wonder if it would get some of the 905 ppl to consider moving back into the "dirty" city........

OK I can get on board with that pricing... nobody wants the difference to be so big that either people continue to drive or they dont use the service... And yea there would be a huge amount of transformation in the city. I wonder if it would get some of the 905 ppl to consider moving back into the "dirty" city........

Don't forget though, this system would cause a similar shift in the 905. People would be much more inclined to live closer to GO-REX stations, even if it meant living it a little bit smaller house, or even buying a condo.

I think there better be an abudance of GO stops on bloor because Union will probably be in trouble...

I don't think there will be that many GO-to-subway transfers. I think most people who are taking GO into downtown would walk up from Union. We may need a couple more PATH connections or some wider sidewalks though, especially if the office boom continues in the downtown. Although with the new development in Southcore, at least it will be split between northbound and southbound now.

with bombardiers new lrt technology that offers lrt but with wires in the ground vs overhead , would it not be cheaper to convert the sheppard subway to lrt since they could do it wihout raising the height of the subway tunnel ceiling?

with bombardiers new lrt technology that offers lrt but with wires in the ground vs overhead , would it not be cheaper to convert the sheppard subway to lrt since they could do it wihout raising the height of the subway tunnel ceiling?
I believe the issue wasn't the height of the ceiling in the tunnel, but that in the station. Much of the cost was for lowering the platform at all the stations. I think this was discussed on one of the Sheppard threads.

I believe the issue wasn't the height of the ceiling in the tunnel, but that in the station. Much of the cost was for lowering the platform at all the stations. I think this was discussed on one of the Sheppard threads.

but if they used the in the ground wiring bombardier lrts they wouldnt need to lower the platforms they would just need to fill in the height of the gap between the platform and the tracks

but if they used the in the ground wiring bombardier lrts they wouldnt need to lower the platforms they would just need to fill in the height of the gap between the platform and the tracks
If you did that, you'd have clearance issues. If you look at the T1 specs, the height from the top of the floor (where you stand) to the roof is 2.553 metres. However the height of a Flexity Freedom is 3.6 metres from bottom to the top of the roof. I'm not quite sure what the height is from the bottom to the top of the floor ... though the spec for the Flexity 2 Blackpool is 0.32 metres. So if it's the same, the height from floor to roof is 3.28 metres ... 72.7 centimetres (2.4 feet) higher than a subway train.

So if you raise the tracks along the platform, you'd have to increase the height in the station, and the tunnel as it enters the station. It would be cheaper to lower the platform. And that's why it costs so much.

If you wanted to do this, you'd have to design a completely new vehicle.

Last edited:
The DRL could provide an additional station and have the local GO routes connect with it instead and be closer to King and Queen, and have underground connections to both King and Union Stations.

They could call it Toronto Centre.

The DRL could provide an additional station and have the local GO routes connect with it instead and be closer to King and Queen, and have underground connections to both King and Union Stations.

They could call it Toronto Centre.

If GO-REX gets implemented, then the DRL should be an underground LRT (like Eglinton) under Queen. The express trips will be carried by GO, leaving the more local trips to the DRL. And since Queen would need really small stop spacing (Bloor distance or less), then LRT is the best option to go with. It can also run surface west of Roncesvalles as the WWLRT.

wouldnt a JANE LRT down to Dundas West via rail lines then Underground to union and up to don mills Eglinton via pape and back to surface from don mills Eglinton to Steels make more sense...

Back