News   Apr 25, 2024
 239     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 784     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 805     0 

Toronto Council Races - 2010

Ward 30.

I'd love to see Paula Fletcher get kicked to the curb this election. She has done nothing for this ward, and uses the NDP support to get elected. I'd like someone who actually lived and grew up here to run, it would be a nice change. Even Jack didnt live here when he was councillor.

I'd run but...I'm a city employee. I need my big fat paycheque to pay off my big fat property tax hike.

Last edited:
I can't believe anyone would call us 26-year-olds that. That is soooooo unfair and soooo mean. Do you know how hard we work? I have to get up at 8:30 a.m. and work until almost 3! If my parents didn't do my laundry I'd barely have time to see my psychiatrist and keep my Facebook profile up-to-date.

No disrespect to the older generation and Jason Robards or whoever that guy is but honestly I don't think past generations understand the kind of stresses we have to deal with.

Seriously.

You are killing me.

:D

It's a pun on "Generation Y", referring to the huge sense of entitlement seen in young people today. The pun has been floating around for a decade now ... I assumed everyone was familiar with it ... and I'd always assumed that was the source of GenerationW's moniker.

It only gets 4450 Google search results. I guess most people who use the term probably don't know how to use a computer.

This goes back a fair ways in this thread, but I heard yesterday why it is very difficult and almost impossible to run for mayor and then suddenly switch back to city council at the last minute (like some have been saying Mamolitti is planning to do)

The major barrier is the spending limit. Any money you spend on a mayoral run still counts against the cap if you switch over to running for councillor. The spending limit for most city council races is around $30,000, while for mayor it is 1.2 million. Mamolitti has easily already spent 30,000 which means he couldn't spend anything on a council race. This also contributed to Giambrone dropping out of the city council race. Even if he was only in for two weeks, the costs of a mayoral race burned through a lot of his cap.

Moreover the $100 registration fee also counts against the cap, so if a candidate is already over his council limit, like Mamolitti almost certainly is, it would be legally impossible for him to register.

I live in Ward 30 and I'm seriously considering running. I may opt to run for the school board instead.

I'd love to see Paula Fletcher get kicked to the curb this election. She has done nothing for this ward, and uses the NDP support to get elected. I'd like someone who actually lived and grew up here to run, it would be a nice change. Even Jack didnt live here when he was councillor.

I'd run but...I'm a city employee. I need my big fat paycheque to pay off my big fat property tax hike.

So would that make it too late for Rob Ford to drop out of running for mayor, once reality starts to sink in? (because you know he's gonna run right back to city council)

Curious to learn more about how Toronto council breaks down, I've put together of a list of how closely aligned with Miller each councillor is. I picked 20 major votes from the last session, and looked at how often each councillor voted the same way as Miller and his team. Here are the numbers, from most-anti-Miller to most pro-Miller:

• Case Ootes - 5.3% - (1 out of 19)
  • Rob Ford - 11.1% - (2 out of 18)
  • David Shiner - 13.3% - (2 out of 15)
  • John Parker - 21.1% - (4 out of 19)
  • Denzil Minnan-Wong - 22.2% - (4 out of 18)
  • Doug Holyday - 25.0% - (5 out of 20)
  • Michael Del Grande - 26.3% - (5 out of 19)
  • Cliff Jenkins - 26.3% - (5 out of 19)
  • Mike Feldman - 26.7% - (4 out of 15)
  • Frances Nunziata - 30.0% - (6 out of 20)
  • Karen Stintz - 31.3% - (5 out of 16)
  • Michael Walker - 33.3% - (6 out of 18)
  • Brian Ashton - 35.0% - (7 out of 20)
  • Chin Lee - 35.3% - (6 out of 17)
  • Peter Milczyn - 42.1% - (8 out of 19)
  • Michael Thompson - 43.8% - (7 out of 16)
  • Ron Moeser - 55.0% - (11 out of 20)
  • Gloria Lindsay Luby - 57.9% - (11 out of 19)
  • Cesar Palacio - 60.0% - (9 out of 15)
  • Paul Ainslie - 63.2% - (12 out of 19)
  • Norm Kelly - 70.0% - (14 out of 20)
  • Anthony Perruzza - 72.2% - (13 out of 18)
  • Bill Saundercook - 72.2% - (13 out of 18)
  • Suzan Hall - 75.0% - (15 out of 20)
  • Mark Grimes - 77.8% - (14 out of 18)
  • Frank Di Giorgio - 78.9% - (15 out of 19)
  • Maria Augimeri - 82.4% - (14 out of 17)
  • John Filion - 82.4% - (14 out of 17)
  • Giorgio Mammoliti - 85.7% - (12 out of 14)
  • Paula Fletcher - 94.1% - (16 out of 17)
  • Sandra Bussin - 94.4% - (17 out of 18)
  • Raymond Cho - 94.4% - (17 out of 18)
  • Howard Moscoe - 94.4% - (17 out of 18)
  • Shelley Carroll - 100.0% - (19 out of 19)
  • Janet Davis - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Glenn De Baeremaeker - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Adam Giambrone - 100.0% - (18 out of 18)
  • Adrian Heaps - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Pam McConnell - 100.0% - (18 out of 18)
  • Joe Mihevc - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Joe Pantalone - 100.0% - (18 out of 18)
  • Gord Perks - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Kyle Rae - 100.0% - (16 out of 16)
  • Adam Vaughan - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)

I put the members of the Executive Committee in italics. They are a special case as they are obligated to vote together with Miller on all major issues.

If you're interested in what the 20 votes were, here is what I used:

• 2009 Operating budget
  • 2010 Arts Funding increase
  • 2010 Operating budget
  • Banning Corportate/Union contributions
  • EMS essential designation
  • Taking down the Gardiner removal
  • Closing the Highland Creek incinerator
  • Jarvis Bike lanes
  • Land transfer tax
  • Buying new streetcars
  • Council pay freeze
  • Plastic bag fee
  • Making the Rouge a national park
  • Sign bylaw
  • Banning smoking in parks
  • CUPE strike settlement
  • TTC Essential service designation
  • University bike lanes
  • Vehicle registration tax
  • 70% Waste diversion plan

Last edited:
Ford voted in favour of banning corporate/union donations and for the 2009 operating budget, so that stops him from being at the very top.

Case Ootes voted against both of those. His lone vote with the Miller team was in favour of making the Rouge Valley a national park.

Last edited:
Jesus, SimonP...that was a lot of work!! You're insane lol, but thank you for that interesting breakdown. I dunno how the hell you found the voting results

Back