Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

pic by brett.electrician over at SSP....

P3142094.jpg

That's a great angle for the skyline, as you can still see the Royal York and Commerce Court North on the skyline. Another observation is that 35 Esplanade (the flatiron condo) looks very unimpressive from this perspective with that white part of it sticking out.

I've always wished that we had the size and demand in the '20s to build a taller CC North. I love it and all, but I wish it stood as tall as the modern bank towers.

The pedestrian-level overhang around Corus looks to be a generous space, as will be the Lightbox and the whoa! dudes! look at me! i'm holding up the whole friggin' podium! Ritz overhangs.

/\ Woah, a structure which exerts some dynamism? It must be terrible since it's not the staid, quotidian modernism of D+S.

Ah the unrelenting Shockerist dichotomy once again rears its decorous head.

android, you are hitting the ball out of the park today! very nice..

The wonder would be if it didn't change with the ambient lighting conditions. A similar thing happens with Commerce Court West, and Bay Adelaide too. Sometimes Commerce Court is a stunning flash of silver, early in the morning when seen from the east. The TD Centre, though much darker, has enough glass that it can reflect the sky colour to a surprising degree. Royal Bank Plaza tends to reflect the buildings or the clouds rather than the sky colour, and it becomes more 'solid' in overcast conditions when the faceted nature of the glass shows nicely. Scotia Plaza, as with other buildings with strong colours and less glass, doesn't accommodate as much.

Thanks for the pics, androiduk.

Well, now that this one is far enough underway to imagine what the rest of it will look like...it's depressingly easy to imagine what the rest of it will look like.

Well, that kind of predictable reassurance can count as a stolid virtue in some cases. Law cases, packing cases, filing cabinets. It looks like nothing we haven't seen before, and nothing we won't see again. Let's hope God is really in the details on this one, because there's nothing inspired about the rest of it.
For those not looking for the rest of it, though, it's still not without functionalist pleasures you won't have to have a magnifying glass or a book by Vitruvius - or Google button - to discover. The office floors will, no doubt, be amazingly level, and meet the modernist curtainwall discreetly. The building will take up the exact amount of space it was meant to, and, astonishingly, no more. It will be cost-engineered to last long enough, to maximize a particular range of profits. Changes in lighting conditions will change how it appears. Adjusting a certain thermostat will change the indoor temperature of certain areas. People will be able to walk around it, allowed to observe others inside interactively though the miracle material known as plate glass. Who can say it's without it's modernist charms? Modernist, but not particularly modern. Nor deeply intelligent. Nor generous, which was badly needed in this place.

Oh well, it's up, it's nearly done, it's out of our hands. So it goes. In the Protestant orphanges that dotted our early city they'd say to the kids as they dished out their oatmeal: it's good for you, you don't need better, and who do you think you are, anyway?

Last edited:

Back