Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Promise them free hotdogs and a mariachi band and call it Taste Of something-or-other and people will show up just about anywhere in this town - there's a great hunger for connection and shared experiences. It shouldn't be difficult to draw people away from their coke in the Erin Mills Town Center food court, which is your definition of what a successful office building is supposed to do.

Correct again Shocker, but as in your past reasoning, people are there because something else is going on or because they have been enticed in some way. I'm advocating a structure that draws people naturally, simply because they want to see it. I'm not talking about some pseudo-Bilbao effect, drawing people to Toronto-the-grey from more exotic locales, but rather, that Torontonian workers and residents, along with tourists and other foreigners would want to sit by it and experience it, simply because it's there.

Putting words in other people's mouths about their architectural expectations doesn't make your own points any more valid. If anything it detracts from your (already weak and painfully dogmatic) arguments since it shows that when challenged, you simply run to the nearest corner and go for the jugular.

Putting words in other people's mouths about their architectural expectations doesn't make your own points any more valid.

Then why not stop doing it? Why assume that someone having a coke in Erin Mills Town Centre food court won't come and see the grande horizontale of the lake because you don't admire her sleek flanks and would have preferred Renzo The Roofer to have done the glazing?

Then why not stop doing it? Why assume that someone having a coke in Erin Mills Town Centre food court won't come and see the grande horizontale of the lake because you don't admire her sleek flanks and would have preferred Renzo The Roofer to have done the glazing?

Yes, I would have preferred Renzo here, a point I don't shy away from. It's not however, solely about what I prefer, but what the wider public would take the time to see. It's been 10 or so posts now since I first posed the question but you have yet to me reason to take this one off the 'meh' list. Answer the damn question Shocker: what is pulling people out of their cozy Don Mills abodes to visit Corus?

Yes, I would have preferred Renzo here, a point I don't shy away from. It's not however, solely about what I prefer, but what the wider public would take the time to see. It's been 10 or so posts now since I first posed the question but you have yet to me reason to take this one off the 'meh' list. Answer the damn question Shocker: what is pulling people out of their cozy Don Mills abodes to visit Corus?

Maybe if they live in McMansions that replaced 50s bungalows, maybe they don't merit being pulled out of their abodes to visit *anything* downtown.

Personally, I'd be satisfied if they were ones to appreciate the architectural merits of Redpath, of LCBO, even of the Toronto Star (which should be a Doors Open attraction IMO, believe it or not)--at least as part of a worthy totality of which Corus is part. It ain't all about potboiler prima donnas, you know--even the most bedraggled old crocks downtown are worth creative beholding, yet I wouldn't trust your "wider public" with having the chops to do so at their own initiative...

407329828_7d8f647e47.jpg

This building pleases me, look at it as an early 21st century version of an early 20th century warehouse building and you'll appreciate its potential....

OK, then I'll change that. This building will please nobody but the most conservative among us. Is that better?

Why would you, or should you, not expect to see doorways on the sides of buildings, or retail emporiums and restaurants on side streets where you'd least expect them. Pearl St. for instance, could be a fantastic little pedestrian zone, but because it has been relegated to a service road, no life is allowed to flourish there.

Pearl street is perfectly fine the way it is. It comes by its functional beau laid charm honestly - and doesn't need your obsessive twee-ing up to become some pretentious version of what it isn't.

Pearl street is perfectly fine the way it is. It comes by its functional beau laid charm honestly - and doesn't need your obsessive twee-ing up to become some pretentious version of what it isn't.

Wow Shocker, I guess I really lost this one, what with your erudite knowledge of obsessive twee-ing and pretentious facade...

corus gets served...by mr. kuitenbrouwer

So much for design on the waterfront

Peter Kuitenbrouwer

A forum held by the Canadian Urban Institute at One King West this morning looked at how Toronto has fared, two years after setting up Design Review Panels to examine and critique new construction in the city. Architect Tania Bortolotto, a member of the panel reviewing projects for Waterfront Toronto, said that in the case of the building that TEDCO is building for Corus Entertainment putting up next to Redpath Sugar, at the foot of Jarvis Street, the process has failed.

"The atrium got smaller and smaller, the theatre disappeared, the restaurant disappeared," she told the assembled. "If TEDCO really wanted design excellence, it would have happened," she added later. "That corner should have been a public building but instead it is an office building with a low budget that had to be built as soon as possible."

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...r-design-on-the-waterfront.aspx#ixzz0UDWXc4Gq

Back