Toronto Corus Quay | ?m | 8s | Waterfront Toronto | Diamond Schmitt

Thanks MadMax - Just so you know...that's a dated article - back in 2008 - and the comment re: scrub is actually from one member of the review panel.

AoD

Thanks MadMax - Just so you know...that's a dated article - back in 2008 - and the comment re: scrub is actually from one member of the review panel.

AoD

Yeah....I just relized that after reading the article over again. I guess it's old news, but still a shame if they don't put the umbrellas in. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Wasn't trying to start any rumours or anything...

Because they work at Corus! Because they're a student at George Brown! Maybe in residence there too! To enjoy Sucrose Beach! Because they live in Pier 27! The water! To go walkies! For food! For drinkies! Because they work near there! Etc., etc.

But nobody came there just to see the building?

The average person likes something they wouldn't ordinarily like because it touches them in some way and they want to experience that sensation again and again. When friends are around, the buildings I want to show them are the ones which I know that person will enjoy, precisely because he or she is that person and that person alone. They have set of values and for the most part, in that index, architecture does not play a large role. I therefore feel compelled to share my passion with them and try to make them understand that the buildings around us do affect our mood, and can lift our spirits, even if it is subconsciously.

I want to make some friends go 'wow,' precisely because I know they will be moved by impressive gestures like Alsop's Pencil Box and Danny's Crystal. I know others still will appreciate Jack's Palazzo del Popolo-Opera house for its inside-out Cityroom and deceptively polychromatic brickwork, or Calatrava's marvelous BCE Galleria for its arboreous metalwork and luminous floor. But why, without all the future parks, the George Brown Campus, the residential and the boardwalk and everything else that's going to happen in the next ten years, why would I bring somebody to see Corus, today? I guess what I'm trying to say Shocker et al is: what's so good about it? Why does it touch you? Why would you go see it, just because you had some time?

So what are you cornered or something Shocker? Three times now I have asked you to explain this building to me in a way which makes me appreciate it, and three times you have deferred. Is this just the Diamond Jack-off booster in you or do you really not know why you like this building?

You expect laypeople to visit a building which they normally wouldn't, simply because after deep consideration they might see what you see? I find your blind faith in the 'snot nosed public,' and expectance that they will come in droves to be incompatible with Jack's design - normal people just don't/won't care.

Promise them free hotdogs and a mariachi band and call it Taste Of something-or-other and people will show up just about anywhere in this town - there's a great hunger for connection and shared experiences. It shouldn't be difficult to draw people away from their coke in the Erin Mills Town Center food court, which is your definition of what a successful office building is supposed to do.

But nobody came there just to see the building?

The average person likes something they wouldn't ordinarily like because it touches them in some way and they want to experience that sensation again and again. When friends are around, the buildings I want to show them are the ones which I know that person will enjoy, precisely because he or she is that person and that person alone. They have set of values and for the most part, in that index, architecture does not play a large role. I therefore feel compelled to share my passion with them and try to make them understand that the buildings around us do affect our mood, and can lift our spirits, even if it is subconsciously.

I want to make some friends go 'wow,' precisely because I know they will be moved by impressive gestures like Alsop's Pencil Box and Danny's Crystal. I know others still will appreciate Jack's Palazzo del Popolo-Opera house for its inside-out Cityroom and deceptively polychromatic brickwork, or Calatrava's marvelous BCE Galleria for its arboreous metalwork and luminous floor. But why, without all the future parks, the George Brown Campus, the residential and the boardwalk and everything else that's going to happen in the next ten years, why would I bring somebody to see Corus, today? I guess what I'm trying to say Shocker et al is: what's so good about it? Why does it touch you? Why would you go see it, just because you had some time?

Because Jack Diamond designed it. There isn't much more to it than that.

Back