Vaughan Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital | ?m | 11s | Plenary Health | Stantec

That's good. The person who created the video obviously overlooked the potential of converting some of the parking space to parking garages and also did not consider Viva Silver, which would provide easy access between Wonderland (and the hospital) and VMC station via Vaughan Mills.

Oh, and the video creator is from Aurora.
Yeah, he said something like "more bigger" in the video, which is typical Aurora-speak, am I right Aurorans?!

(Just want to find out if we have any Aurora members…)

IMG_5117.jpg

IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

That guy is totally wrong. Canada's Wonderland has more land than it will ever need, tied up in the ridiculously large surface parking lot, which could gradually be put into garages whenever they wanted to build onto it, if they even need garages. (Now that the subway comes close to the area, bus access to Wonderworld should just be improved.) The land to the north is fine as a healthcare precinct.

I don't know that he's Totally wrong.

I think he's looking at the wrong side of the Park though.

Wonderland did make a mistake selling off its land to the south down to Rutherford.

What was built was a low-slung standard subdivision.

It's less about enlarging the park than the lost opportunity to have created space for many more customers within walking distance.

Though, that said, the Park does run at capacity several weekends per year.

You quite rightly note that that could be addressed by cutting the parking area by at least 1/2, if not 3/4 and expanding the park on to the then former parking lots.

The parking lot fills up on weekends - and given the regional nature of their customer base, I just don’t see parking demands dropping significantly. I mean they charge $22 for parking and 90-95% of customers still drive. If they do want to take over some of the lot they are going to have to structure it, which is very expensive.
I could see them structuring it at some point, but they are never going to just cut their parking availability in half as that will just cut their customer base in half.

The reality is that for the next while they will probably continue to squeeze more coasters into their existing park area, without touching the parking lot. The odd ride will get demolished and replaced as well.

the reality is that amusement parks are just very car reliant. Even Disneyland Paris, with a regional rail station right in the middle of the park, has thousands upon thousands of parking spaces. It’s just what comes with the use.

Last edited:
Wonderland did make a mistake selling off its land to the south down to Rutherford.

What was built was a low-slung standard subdivision.

It's less about enlarging the park than the lost opportunity to have created space for many more customers within walking distance.
Extremely few of Wonderland's customers are walk-in types, and having more people living close by in higher density buildings would ratchet noise complaints up more than it would produce customers. As @innsertnamehere says, it's a regional draw that this park has.

In regards to expansion into the parking lot, (is it Leviathan that already crosses into it?), yes, parking garages are expensive, but if they need to do it, they can, piecemeal. They would likely need to figure out ways to make at least portions of the park operate year round to pay for it. Wonderland is likely a better spot for an integrated resort and spa than Ontario Place, for example, and reworking the fountains so that chillers could be installed could turn the International Street section into a skating/winter activities destination. It's already the best attended seasonal theme park in North America, why not try to stretch the seasons a bit?

EDIT: Oops I forgot, this thread is about the incredibly ugly Cortellucci Sell-Out-Your-Public-Assets-To-Your-Largest-Donor-Friends Hospital. Back to that?

Article in The Star on the new hospital. Apparently not opening til early 2021, but the hospital is now in post-construction possession and is doing training.

Of note to me, a comment about the hospital beds which I'm pleased to see as this is tech I've been pushing for in our healthcare system.

Hospital beds will weigh patients, monitor their vital signs and send alerts if a patient is at risk of a fall.

Also good:

Equipment is tagged with real-time locating systems (the amount of time health staff spend looking for the 'x' machine will be slashed.

And patients admitted to hospital will be provided a bedside tablet that connects them to medical records, allows them to learn about prescribed medications and procedures and notifies them of the name of their care providers when they walk into the room.

Reactions: PMT

Back