Vaughan Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital | ?m | 11s | Plenary Health | Stantec

The white patterned panels, I do not understand at all. The grey with the colour blocks I actually find quite cute.

I really do hate that some of our most important critical infrastructure gets some of the worst architecture.

And contrary to what seems to be popular belief, it doesn't actually have to be that way -- that's actually the most infuriating part.

How do you know it doesn't have to be that way? If you want this hospital to "look" nicer you are looking at different materials used for the shell, or rearranging floor plans, which could ad around an additional 300m dollars. It's a hospital, designed to treat patients as effectively and efficiently possible.
We also have a shortage in hospital beds in the GTA, so if every hospital where to be architecturally pleasing it's going to mean less funds for new healthcare infrastructure.

How do you know it doesn't have to be that way?

I have worked on both sides (procurement and consultant) of large public infrastructure project budgeting and execution.

If you want this hospital to "look" nicer you are looking at different materials used for the shell, or rearranging floor plans

It is not true that these are the only ways to improve architectural aesthetics.

which could ad around an additional 300m dollars

You have obviously pulled this figure out of thin air and it is, unsurprisingly, both impossible to estimate as you have constructed the argument, and also just untrue.

It's a hospital, designed to treat patients as effectively and efficiently possible

There is a wealth of mounting research that posits a strong linkage between physical design and physical and mental patient health, which is partly why you've seen architecturally beautiful healthcare projects in places around the world, including in Canada and the GTA.

so if every hospital where to be architecturally pleasing it's going to mean less funds for new healthcare infrastructure.

Again, this is just not true.

I don't mean to be curt, but if you're going to defend a horrible status quo, I suggest first asking questions rather than making statements that are obviously ignorant of reality. Most on this forum, including myself, are glad to respond positively and constructively to the former.

Then why didn't they make the hospital and architectural dream if all these things you mentioned are true?
Additional costs can really scale like that, especially with all the trades and engineers that are involved in these projects.
What are some ways to make it look nicer without adding additional costs?
No ones saying that hospitals should be ugly square boxes.
But as someone who designs hospitals for a living, the functionality of the building is always the main priority.

Last edited:
Then why didn't they make the hospital and architectural dream if all these things you mentioned are true?
There are a million reasons why this is the case on any large-scale public project, and it's very difficult to discern which ones are operative without having direct inside knowledge of the specific instance. In public infrastructure projects, sometimes it's bureaucratic muscle memory; sometimes it's a lack of vision; sometimes it's a poorly written RFQ or RFP; sometimes it's a flawed tendering process or evaluation criteria; sometimes it's awarding a contract to the wrong bidder -- and those are all separate instances from even have a design to critique!

What are some ways to make it look nicer without adding additional costs?

In this case, start again from scratch; this was more or less irredeemable from original concept. Often, it's not as simple a matter as saying "well, if they'd just used curtain wall instead of window wall..." or "if the cladding on the west facade was just red aluminum paneling instead of grey precast paneling..."; you need a good brief and a good client and a good project team that has a clear vision and a proven capacity to deliver something better.

But as someone who designs hospitals for a living, the functionality of the building is always the main priority.
There are two key things to understand here. First, this is a false choice; functionality and beauty are not mutually exclusive (as is demonstrated by literally every building in the world that is both functional and beautiful). Second, and more interestingly, the end function of a healthcare building is to create an environment that leads to positive health outcomes, and what more enlightened administrators, purse string-holders, and designers understand is that there seems to be more of a link between the two than longstanding orthodoxies have held.

For this project in particular - it's the questionable aesthetic choices in how the cladding is used that is the problem - I can't imagine that's a 300M matter.

AoD

IMG_4889.jpg

I thought that after a hospital in Hamilton was renamed for a major donor and the same thing happening at Toronto East General where it became Michael Garron, that there was a provincial edict that the practice of renaming an entire hospital was to end. Was that a Liberal government edict which the Regressive Conservatives have regressed?

I thought that after a hospital in Hamilton was renamed for a major donor and the same thing happening at Toronto East General where it became Michael Garron, that there was a provincial edict that the practice of renaming an entire hospital was to end. Was that a Liberal government edict which the Regressive Conservatives have regressed?

The Ford government rescinded that policy, and I don't doubt they have Vaughan in their mind.

AoD

The selling of the land that would later be used for the hospital was Canada's Wonderland's biggest mistake:

However, the hospital is necessary for Vaughan.
That guy is totally wrong. Canada's Wonderland has more land than it will ever need, tied up in the ridiculously large surface parking lot, which could gradually be put into garages whenever they wanted to build onto it, if they even need garages. (Now that the subway comes close to the area, bus access to Wonderworld should just be improved.) The land to the north is fine as a healthcare precinct.

That guy is totally wrong. Canada's Wonderland has more land than it will ever need, tied up in the ridiculously large surface parking lot, which could gradually be put into garages whenever they wanted to build onto it, if they even need garages. (Now that the subway comes close to the area, bus access to Wonderworld should just be improved.) The land to the north is fine as a healthcare precinct.

That's good. The person who created the video obviously overlooked the potential of converting some of the parking space to parking garages and also did not consider Viva Silver, which would provide easy access between Wonderland (and the hospital) and VMC station via Vaughan Mills.

Oh, and the video creator is from Aurora.

Back