Corktown Common | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Maryann Thompson

RiverCity1

Member Bio
Reaction score
New development: Just did a little research and Waterfront Toronto says on their Twitter page yesterday that it's open all winter. This is good news. They have a toboggan run lol. Apparently, they worked with their development partners to keep it open :D

iluvtoronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
the data base says completion in Spring 2014...but I don't see the final plantings closer to the Don River portion....does anybody have an idea when the rest of the park will be landscaped?????

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
the data base says completion in Spring 2014...but I don't see the final plantings closer to the Don River portion....does anybody have an idea when the rest of the park will be landscaped?????
The section of the Common closest to the river cannot have plantings of any size as the roots would destroy or weaken the flood protection berm. This is the 'wet side' and it will remain grass - which was own last fall and seems to be coming up OK. They have planted few small shrubs just beside the rail line and I think that's 'it' for plants. I think the only reason it has not yet opened is the general lethargy at WT - one can actually easily walk there now as the fence gates always see, to be open.

DonValleyRainbow

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the deal is with the "Diamond Jubilee Promenade"?

I thought the "promenade was the area between the two sections of Front Street between Cherry and Bayview. But this letter points to a motion to ceremoniously rename the streets themselves. Does anyone have more info?

Last edited:

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The street is not being renamed. As will be the result of the current effort by the City to decide on which section of street in the city will get a ceremonial dedication in honour of Nelson Mandela, in this case those two blocks of Front will get a "Diamond Jubliee Promenade" street sign added above the Front Street signs.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Official Opening of Corktown Common is TOMORROW at 10am. "All three levels of government" are supposed to be there. Will Ford represent the City. Will there be shouts of "Resign"?

Marcanadian

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Official Opening of Corktown Common is TOMORROW at 10am. "All three levels of government" are supposed to be there. Will Ford represent the City. Will there be shouts of "Resign"?
Given that Ford says that "nothing" has been done on the waterfront and that all he can see from the Gardiner is "condos and congestion", I doubt he'll make the trek to be there. It astonishes me that people like him who criticize waterfront development are the same ones who won't even visit the awesome spaces we have down there now.

hawc

Member Bio
Reaction score
Didn't he want a ferris wheel or something? I don't think he'd generally enjoy anything that involved walking around. If he can't drive his Escalade through it, it's a waste of money.

Anyway, John Tory will soon be our mayor and this whole sorry chapter will be behind us.

Marcanadian

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah, Doug Ford proposed a ferris wheel, monorail and big mall for the Portlands. I don't think they want much parkland for the waterfront, they seem to want commercial space more than anything.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah, Doug Ford proposed a ferris wheel, monorail and big mall for the Portlands. I don't think they want much parkland for the waterfront, they seem to want commercial space more than anything.
They don't want or care - as long as the land got sold and the money flows.

AoD