Toronto Corktown Common | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Maryann Thompson

Visited Corktown Common today for a couple hours. The park is great in that it offers something for everyone (families, nature-lovers, sunbathers, joggers, readers, and people-watchers). Kids can actually climb (!) and get somewhat dirty here. The terrain promotes exploration and makes it seem much bigger than it is imo. Vegetation is already offering shade to quite a few benches.

I also prefer the soft edges of the asphalt rather than any hard lines brought on by pavers/concrete. As for the metal railings etc, I'm guessing they are meant to be a subtle connection to area's industrial past.

Many thanks for the pictures. The park looks great and is a very very decent addition to the area.

Checked out the park tonight. Looks beautiful.

My only one criticism of it is that it's connection to the Don Bike path is by steps not a smooth ramp so you'd have to get off and carry a road bike up and down the steps.

I noticed that too, and I think it was a deliberate decision to prevent cyclists from blasting down the ramp and making it uncomfortable for pedestrians

I think the idea is that cyclists from the Don Trail coming through the tunnel will still be able to go around the park, isn't it? And it's accessible by bike from the north side, although there's a No Biking sign, among other prohibitions.

Once the wet side of the park is complete, you'll see a bicycle path connection without stairs. Mentioned already in this thread.

Once the wet side of the park is complete, you'll see a bicycle path connection without stairs. Mentioned already in this thread.

Good to hear, that was my only real criticism of the park when I visited last week. Anyone know if they plan on sprucing up the lower section of the Don Valley bike path... it feels a little post apocalyptic right now.

I know the park has 2 elevated lookouts but do any of those lookouts have a good view of the CBD skyline or will they be blocked by the new buildings? Do any of them face the view corridors along Front Street or Mill Street, into the CBD? How high up are they?

Good to hear, that was my only real criticism of the park when I visited last week. Anyone know if they plan on sprucing up the lower section of the Don Valley bike path... it feels a little post apocalyptic right now.

The improvement of the Lower Don Trail is up for approval by Council today as one of a number of Pan-Am Games legacy projects! See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2013.EX33.13 "Lower Don Trail from footbridge north of Gerrard Street to south of Eastern Avenue. Tunnel straightening, repave and possible widening and fence infrastructure."

I would be very happy to see the ugly, industrial type fencing come down along the lower Don, and be replaced by something that actually looks decent or dare I say, beautiful. (I know that's a dirty word in Toronto)

The mosquitos were thick in the new park last night! But there were lots of frogs a-croaking.

The views from the park are best in these early years, before all the trees get big and block the view.

9318782157_c9b0c34dc8_b.jpg

The mosquitos were thick in the new park last night! But there were lots of frogs a-croaking.

I wonder how the frogs made it there. Did they somehow wander over through the streets or were they brought there?

When I visited a few weeks ago, the park seemed quite devoid of animal life, as though the city's fauna hadn't yet discovered it.

I wonder how the frogs made it there. Did they somehow wander over through the streets or were they brought there?

When I visited a few weeks ago, the park seemed quite devoid of animal life, as though the city's fauna hadn't yet discovered it.

Maybe they just hopped up from the valley, but given the care that's gone into this park I wouldn't be surprised if some frogs were released by design.

Back