Toronto Corktown Common | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Maryann Thompson

Yeah, Doug Ford proposed a ferris wheel, monorail and big mall for the Portlands. I don't think they want much parkland for the waterfront, they seem to want commercial space more than anything.

They don't want or care - as long as the land got sold and the money flows.

AoD

Given that Ford says that "nothing" has been done on the waterfront and that all he can see from the Gardiner is "condos and congestion", I doubt he'll make the trek to be there. It astonishes me that people like him who criticize waterfront development are the same ones who won't even visit the awesome spaces we have down there now.
He was at the official opening of Underpass Park Part 1 last year - that's where I got my Ford fridge magnet! (Of course, that park is under an expressway so may be more up his street?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,275
  • IMG_2396.JPG
    IMG_2396.JPG
    1,011 KB · Views: 1,603
  • IMG_2395.JPG
    IMG_2395.JPG
    938.2 KB · Views: 1,278
  • IMG_2379.JPG
    IMG_2379.JPG
    836.3 KB · Views: 1,247
I know there are powerful people that frequent these forums, so could someone please direct this request to one of them.

Can we please do something about the cycling access from the Corktown Common Park to the Don Bike trail?

Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 10.40.21 PM.png

At the South East corner of the park there are stairs down to the underpass that joins up with the Don Bike trail (and ultimately the Martin Goodman Trail.)

Unfortunately it's a series of long concrete stairs that forces you to unclip and carry your bike down them one by one by one by one one by one by one by one one by one by one by one one by one by one by one one by one by one by one one by one by one by one one by one by one by one. Yes as annoying as reading that.

Would be great to have a paved ramp beside their. Or for heaven's sake just open up the fences that keep the other longer access route accessible (marked in purple in the picture.)

Can someone please fix this! Toronto's cyclists would love you for it.

Attachments

• Screen%u00252520Shot%u002525202015-04-29%u00252520at%u0025252010.40.21%u00252520PM.png
    Screen%u00252520Shot%u002525202015-04-29%u00252520at%u0025252010.40.21%u00252520PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 675
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 10.40.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-29 at 10.40.21 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 942
Can confirm, those stairs have been a nuisance to me when biking in the past.
As noted above, there is a pathway that goes up the hill towards the west and THIS is where one is supposed to cycle. Unfortunately it is blocked off (the purple lines) but the whole of the Corktown Common will be closed in next few weeks for PAG.

Those stairs are there for a reason. If that was a ramp cyclists would plow down the hill at full speed and launch themselves into the tunnel where there could be oncoming cyclists or pedestrians

They just need to open up those damn trails to the side. I've tweeted Waterfront Toronto about it several times over the past year and a half, and they now basically tell me to buzz off because it's not ready, for some reason. Seriously, I cannot figure out what the liability would be to open up that short path, at least on one side.

I believe at one point it was promised to open up about a year ago, that didn't happen. I asked again last year and was politely told it would be ready when they deem it's ready and not a second sooner.

Typically WT is good at community communications, but it seems they've totally abandoned those principles when it comes to Corktown Common.

Those stairs are there for a reason. If that was a ramp cyclists would plow down the hill at full speed and launch themselves into the tunnel where there could be oncoming cyclists or pedestrians

That's silly. There are ramps of this grade on other portions of the Don trail and there are no issues with cyclists 'launching' themselves into pedestrians. Ride along the path and you'll see several examples of the ramps I'm talking about. There's zero danger to pedestrians or other cyclists.

This section of the trail for instance has a much steeper incline and the speed bumps have actually been removed and it's all metal now and there's no safety concern at all.

Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 11.15.03 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 11.15.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-30 at 11.15.03 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 681
Last edited:
They just need to open up those damn trails to the side. I've tweeted Waterfront Toronto about it several times over the past year and a half, and they now basically tell me to buzz off because it's not ready, for some reason. Seriously, I cannot figure out what the liability would be to open up that short path, at least on one side.

True. That's so frustrating. I continually ride around the fencing and think there is absolutely no good reason why this couldn't be opened up. It's so pointless.

ps. give me their twitter handle so I can tweet them too.

Last edited:

I believe at one point it was promised to open up about a year ago, that didn't happen. I asked again last year and was politely told it would be ready when they deem it's ready and not a second sooner.

Typically WT is good at community communications, but it seems they've totally abandoned those principles when it comes to Corktown Common.

The fences have been open a few times this spring. The trails seemed plenty ready to me and my dog every time we've walked on them.

Back