Toronto Concord Canada House | 231.97m | 74s | Concord Adex | Arcadis

As usual the same people here will never like this project because of the developer, architect, and name:rolleyes:

Huh? Can you point to even one excellent project that this team has delivered? Definition of insanity, etc...

Frankly, they could call the project "Urbanists Are Pissy Whiners" if they actually proposed something great, for all I care, and I'd be happy with it. But what we have is shit on top of a whole bunch of previously procured shit.

It will be funny to see a poutine restaurant or maple syrup shop in their renderings to play up the Canadian stereotype.
Though Americans are very patriotic, you don't see buildings there with stars and stripes on it. That's too pompous.

Because Americans are sure of themselves as the world superpower. That speaks for itself. Canadians are much less confident, so they use the maple leaf as a security blanket. And it seems to be getting worse: "Canada" is prominently emblazoned on the sides of VIA passenger cars for example. It wasn't before.

That being said, the branding for this project is actually starting to grow on me. It's a prominent building with cool lighting in Canada's largest city near a major international tourist area. There may be a case of legit national symbolism here.

Canadians are much less confident, so they use the maple leaf as a security blanket. And it seems to be getting worse: "Canada" is prominently emblazoned on the sides of VIA passenger cars for example. It wasn't before.

Canada is younger, smaller, not only very diverse but also includes a nation within a nation in Quebec- a situation not found in the States. Moreover we are a small population spread over a vast area- in this context the flag is an important symbol of unity. If you want to see flags- head south. I see nothing wrong with this symbol on the side of a couple of buildings, and it's hardly prevalent in the architecture here- good grief.

True but the Empire State Building probably earned the right to a little chest thumping. Canada House, on the other hand, is the architectural equivalent of
IMG_2016.JPG

Hoser Towers.

Attachments

• IMG_2016.JPG
    IMG_2016.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 552
Because Americans are sure of themselves as the world superpower. That speaks for itself. Canadians are much less confident, so they use the maple leaf as a security blanket. And it seems to be getting worse: "Canada" is prominently emblazoned on the sides of VIA passenger cars for example. It wasn't before.
Sorry, nothing speaks for itself in your post: those contentions are absurdly general.

This is not even the first tower Concord emblazoned with leaves. You guys are reading far too much into the marketing here and missing the most obvious connection; the enormous Canada 150 marketing campaign.

I know my mind and I don't agree with any of them.

"Because Americans are sure of themselves as the world superpower"? So what about the 63 million Americans who voted for a leader that makes the country feel like it's a victim, taken advantage of, and generally put upon by the rest of the world? Actions speak louder than words, and nothing in the past year speaks of 'confidence' or being 'sure of themselves'. Historically, Canadians have always been scared of Americans. When you are dealing with a big bully (who's now apparently a victim, of all things) one has to pretend and humour them. Which is partly the reason why we have a great outsider sense of humour. Doesn't mean we aren't confident, just good actors at being more passive and accommodating. It's still an act though.

Canadians make the best comedians in the world because we just happen to see the world through multiple lenses, which gives us that ironical funny bone. Just don't try to pigeonhole us, it can't be done. Maybe in a lame way this might explain the ambivalence about placing some innocuous national symbols on an innocuous project within an innocuous part of the ...oh what the hell.

Back