Toronto 191 Bay | 301.74m | 64s | QuadReal | Hariri Pontarini

I honestly really dig the thickness of the design, it doesn't need to be slimmed down at all in my opinion. It does block a lot of the CBD from the waterfront, but it fits in the skyline quite well otherwise.

Completely agree...cancel and redraw - hire new architects..

I would also add that if the intent is to design an ugly/odd-looking tower, go all the way...The tower cannot decide what decade, or design direction it is leaning toward, so it takes its cues from each decade, and yet everything and nothing.

Last edited:
Completely agree...cancel and redraw - hire new architects..

I would also add that if the intent is to design an ugly/odd-looking tower, go all the way...The tower cannot decide what decade, or design direction it is leaning toward, so it takes its cues from each everything and nothing.
I couldn't disagree more, to fit in with the other CC buildings you need that a little. There is no way they are going to cancel and redraw this. I love the angles and the slanted roof with solar panels. Also how about we show a little positivity for once. Please say one good thing you like about this, one bad thing and then another good thing. The hamburger thing everyone learned in grade 2!

I couldn't disagree more, to fit in with the other CC buildings you need that a little. There is no way they are going to cancel and redraw this. I love the angles and the slanted roof with solar panels. Also how about we show a little positivity for once. Please say one good thing you like about this, one bad thing and then another good thing. The hamburger thing everyone learned in grade 2!

Agreed! When complete, this building will be among the most valuable pieces of real-estate in Canada. There is a lot of $$$ at stake. The developers are looking for the greatest ROI and will be considering all options that maximize return. Unlike residential construction, creating a building that is well designed and will attract tenants now and in the long run will optimize returns. I get it that some posters may not like what they see. That said, suggesting a complete re-design is a bit much.

Blending in with the IM Pei's commerce court is NOT what this building is doing. Also I didn't learn this hamburger thing...so sorry can't help.

Lastly, I think criticism is often misconstrued as negativity - they are not one and the same. One can be critical of something for the sake of wanting to make it better, etc. Design is an iterative process and I tend to feel that there were not enough iterations done...or maybe they called the design done prematurely. In all honesty, this tower does have some nice aspects, they should dig them out and expand on them. Instead it feels the design is a disparate patchwork of HPA's recent design vocabulary.

I said it at skyscraperpage and I will say the same thing over here.
"CC3 might not be the best looking tower but it is way better than 3 world trade centre, one Manhattan West, 50 Hudson yards, four world trade centre, 3 Hudson Blvd and 2 Manhattan West. im comparing it to all these NYC office towers because usually NYC sets the bar really high when it comes to the design and architecture."

Blending in with the IM Pei's commerce court is NOT what this building is doing. Also I didn't learn this hamburger thing...so sorry can't help.

Lastly, I think criticism is often misconstrued as negativity - they are not one and the same. One can be critical of something for the sake of wanting to make it better, etc. Design is an iterative process and I tend to feel that there were not enough iterations done...or maybe they called the design done prematurely. In all honesty, this tower does have some nice aspects, they should dig them out and expand on them. Instead it feels the design is a disparate patchwork of HPA's recent design vocabulary.
I agree that criticism can often be misconstrued as negativity, in your first post that was 100% negativity but this new post is criticism so that is much better than you.

Also, the hamburger thing is something you do with little kids when they are terrible at something. Tell them one nice thing, then tell them what they are terrible at, and last tell them another nice thing so they do not feel like shit. Tah Dah

I was looking over the site from One King West the other day and was horrified at the thought of that lovely plaza disappearing and the block having this tower shoe-horned onto it. It's ungainly and overweight for this block. I recognize that cities change with time and development is often a net positive. In this case, I am not convinced.

I personally don't see the benefit of keeping Commerce Court East/South as is. Sure, they're part of a different period of architecture and have some history, but walking by them honestly feels like walking beside a concrete bunker. Everything close to them feels like it interacts with the street so much better. What CC3 has planned at street level looks like it will do wonders for pedestrian traffic. The tower itself is a much better use of the space in the Financial District too given Toronto's current office vacancy at an all time low.

It also has a fantastic design to it. Being really thick it truly feels like one of those classic office tower designs with a modern twist with the angles and glass. It truly looks like something that could fit in with the World Trade Center complex in NYC. I am honestly still blown away that we are going to be getting this building here in Toronto.

Toronto Model 01-22-19 Skyline from the Islands.png

I was looking over the site from One King West the other day and was horrified at the thought of that lovely plaza disappearing and the block having this tower shoe-horned onto it. It's ungainly and overweight for this block. I recognize that cities change with time and development is often a net positive. In this case, I am not convinced.

The Plaza is being shifted and redone. It will still be there in some fashion including the fountain. at least from the initial design. See the Post from Edward Skira above.

Agreed! When complete, this building will be among the most valuable pieces of real-estate in Canada. There is a lot of $$$ at stake. The developers are looking for the greatest ROI and will be considering all options that maximize return. Unlike residential construction, creating a building that is well designed and will attract tenants now and in the long run will optimize returns. I get it that some posters may not like what they see.

And here is why we get C-level architecture in Toronto. Hyper-capitalism. Everything is looked at through the lens of MAXIMUM ROI.

It's OK NOT to make the maximum amount of money possible jaybe. Say it with me now.

And here is why we get C-level architecture in Toronto. Hyper-capitalism. Everything is looked at through the lens of MAXIMUM ROI.

It's OK NOT to make the maximum amount of money possible jaybe. Say it with me now.

Perhaps you misunderstand my comment. Builders will not maximize ROI if they put together a poorly thought out building that is finished cheaply - it will be difficult to obtain and retain tenants. For this rather obvious reason, quality design and ROI are aligned in commercial developments in the core. Say it with me now...

Last edited:

Back