Toronto 191 Bay | 301.74m | 64s | QuadReal | Hariri Pontarini

21st Century version of Chrysler Tower?

Philly already claimed that:

One-Liberty-Place-by-flickr-user-ryanoshea.jpg

Source: https://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/2014/12/18/one-liberty-place-getting-observation-deck-restaurant/

nothing can beat the beauty of Chrysler building and American radiator building in NYC.

Hmm? 9.1 million sq. ft. in the pipeline for Toronto, and 7.3 million square feet under construction
These are known to be planned, and these four projects will bring in just under 6 million square feet

CIBC SQ-2, 50 storey/1.5 million sq. ft.
CC3, 64 storey /1.8 million sq. ft,
The Hub, 59 storey/1.4 million sq. ft.
Union Centre, 48 storey/1.1 million sq. ft.

There's a chronic shortage of office space in Toronto amid rising demand from tech companies
Toronto had 7.3 million square feet under construction in the fourth quarter of last year, up nearly 1.3 million square feet from the previous quarter; while Vancouver had 2.86 million square feet and Montreal had 954,510 square feet under construction.

CBRE says the technology sector is a major contributor to increased rates of leasing for downtown office space in Toronto, accounting for 20 per cent of pre-leased space out of the 9.1 million square feet in new planned development.....
https://business.financialpost.com/...ffice-space-in-toronto-vancouver-and-montreal

Comparing 80s Murphy/Jahn to 00s Kirkor will get you far - New York to North York far. The latter is so atrociously out of proportion and cheap that they should make it a pilgrimage site for would be architects as to what *not* to do.

AoD

I think that North York's examples are perfectly fine for what they are--a middle class community of suburban condos. They're some of the few residential towers along the 401 in the 416 that are memorable, distinctive, and playful. By contrast, I would hold an office tower in the CBD to a considerably higher standard.

I think that North York's examples are perfectly fine for what they are--a middle class community of suburban condos. They're some of the few residential towers along the 401 in the 416 that are memorable, distinctive, and playful. By contrast, I would hold an office tower in the CBD to a considerably higher standard.

There is playful - and then there is vacuous pastiche with the added sin of horrible execution. Nevermind the non-starter that something of its ilk belong to the CBD - I wouldn't want to wish NY Towers on anyone - even the suburbs.

AoD

There is playful - and then there is horribly executed pastiche. I wouldn't want to wish NY Towers on anyone - even the suburbs.

AoD

I used to think that way, but I realized that they actually make a lot of people happy as they drive by on the 401, and that's a good thing. The architectural lighting at night is pleasant. There's more of a landmark quality to the community than anything else along the 401, including the sterility and banality of Concord's Park Place.

There is playful - and then there is vacuous pastiche with the added sin of horrible execution. Nevermind the non-starter that something of its ilk belong to the CBD - I wouldn't want to wish NY Towers on anyone - even the suburbs.

Vacuous pastiche they may be, but in many ways I'd happily take them over most of the grey-blue clumsy spandrel box buildings being built downtown in this boom. These may not be very graceful but they create variety in form and at least attempt some kind of architectural expression.

Those buildings have always reminded me of the cheesy high rises in matte paintings of urban scenes from one of the earlier Star Wars movies. I keep expecting a flyer to zip by. It’s hard for me to take these things too seriously as a result.

Vacuous pastiche they may be, but in many ways I'd happily take them over most of the grey-blue clumsy spandrel box buildings being built downtown in this boom. These may not be very graceful but they create variety in form and at least attempt some kind of architectural expression.

The solution to the mundane and the mediocre isn't garbage.

AoD

Back