Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Put some African palms in giant planters like in the Jardin du Luxemburg in Paris

I was here the other night and hardly found it soulless at all. It was packed with people relaxing and playing, kids biking around the loop or playing at the splash pad. The perennial beds look lush and the finishes used are simple and to the point. I think they did a great job with the resources they had, and I am very excited to see how the park ages into itself and its surroundings. It’s a small but effective park, and the public seems to love it. I’d call it a win.

I was here the other night and hardly found it soulless at all. It was packed with people relaxing and playing, kids biking around the loop or playing at the splash pad. The perennial beds look lush and the finishes used are simple and to the point. I think they did a great job with the resources they had, and I am very excited to see how the park ages into itself and its surroundings. It’s a small but effective park, and the public seems to love it. I’d call it a win.
Agreed. I walk through here everyday and I love how packed it is during the lunch hour and in the evenings.

Patronage is certianly up compared to the old park - but the vast concrete expanses and lack of desire path through it is tough.

The desire path across the park from bay and college to the Yonge Street entrance is huge and completely ignored. You get people cutting through the garden in that photo above to make that route.

Last edited:
I noticed the circulation as well. A decorative barrier would help. In most big city parks I've been in around the world there are areas that are protected by decorative barriers to prevent people from damaging planted areas. However this is a minor issue compared to how this space was. I recall this was somewhat a no-go zone and I'm very pleased to see this full of people. I'm certain as time goes by and the plants mature it will get better and better.

I noticed the circulation as well. A decorative barrier would help. In most big city parks I've been in around the world there are areas that are protected by decorative barriers to prevent people from damaging planted areas. However this is a minor issue compared to how this space was. I recall this was somewhat a no-go zone and I'm very pleased to see this full of people. I'm certain as time goes by and the plants mature it will get better and better.
I'm quite convinced that the plants we see the back of above will never mature to the point that they block access: people will be walking through between the benches forever. The ground has already been compacted between the plants and will only become more so over time. They will need a more substantial barrier there to stop it… which I vote they should not put up. This is simply a poor design in regards to circulation.

So wait… that lovely brick wall has been sitting there under… are those very thin limestone veneers? Or is that some kind of stucco, or… Why is it coming off in odd patches further up? Is this more of a comedy sketch than a restoration?

Help! (Slaps head!)

It appeared to be a really thin stucco or plaster coat. Didn’t have the foam base that EIFS usually has. It was applied directly to the surface of the brick.

Back