Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Berczy is wonderful, an odd park between two lanes of traffic but it has a "friendly" feel to it, and I've enjoyed sitting there people-watching - it "works". Queen's Park should be completed by fall, and enjoyed next year - it looks promising with what needs to be done there. I believe the lonesome water feature at the south-west corner is being removed and the equestrian statue of Edward VII is finally getting a proper base (vs. the dirt hill it stood atop of). Barbara Hall Park (formally Cawthra Square Park) is a terrific makeover, though not perfect. I couldn't be happier sitting on a bench & watching an evening of programmed music on the raised area, "the stage", near the Church St. sidewalk on a warm summer eve. Trinity Bellwoods is not a major project, just some minor work that will move foot traffic better on nicer looking pavers I believe. Haven't been to the others. At least one sliver-park between Yonge & Church is getting a makeover too, seems like just yesterday that they were converted from parking lots - and they are great smaller spaces too. So what do all the parks listed above have that College Park doesn't? Lots of green, and plenty spaces to sit. What a "park" should have. Hopefully the trees will survive in College Park, and in a couple of years have a stronger presence in the space. Maybe an inspired group of guerilla gardeners could work a bit of magic there too. I'm available any evening...!

I agree with the general sentiment here. I walked through this "park" the other day, and yes, it sucks.

I like the park. Walked past it a few times and I like the open space and casual vibe. Looking forward to the farmers market which will be hosted in the park.
Not a usual park with a lot of greens, but a good park for events. Trees will grow bigger and provide the much needed shades.
I hope they will renovate the space outside of Metro soon and make the park bigger.

Here are some photos during the celebration of mediocrity the other day:
20190710_171153.jpg
20190710_171151.jpg
20190710_173759.jpg
20190710_171012.jpg

I think more green to balance out the surrounding buildings would've been nice. And more picnic tables for people to enjoy lunch/take out a laptop, etc.

It is also on top of a garage which really reduces the things one can do.
Definitely an issue, especially in terms of what people can expect the vegetation to be.

I recall that in the documents, even the trees can't get too large due to root issues + the fact that the park will need to be torn up again in the future for maintenance on the garage.

It's growing on me. Too bad the view to the east, north, and west is so dreadful. I'm not sure what the fix is for the back end of College Park but hopefully they come up with something that works. College Park I & II? A re-clad before 2050 would be nice.

I hope they will renovate the space outside of Metro soon and make the park bigger.

A shame, that was a missed opportunity.

I recall that in the documents, even the trees can't get too large due to root issues + the fact that the park will need to be torn up again in the future for maintenance on the garage.

Isn't that where a few million went, to rehabilitate the underground garage slab?

It is also on top of a garage which really reduces the things one can do.

Respectfully, nope. Below, College Park, May 10 2009 - it was a late spring, many deciduous trees didn't have leaves yet. The last photo is June 23 2009.

Sorry for going on here. As I mentioned, I so love our parks, I'm just so disappointed. The frogs & water feature were not there when I spent some time a few weeks ago, they're fun and they help add some pop and interest to the space.

Barbara Ann Scott Park-College Park4_May10-09.jpg

Barbara Ann Scott Park-College Park6_May10-09.jpg

Barbara Ann Scott Park-College Park9_May10-09.jpg

Barbara Ann Scott Park-College Park12_May10-09.jpg

Barbara Ann Scott Park-College Park15_May10-09.jpg

Barbara Ann Scott Park-College Park16_May10-09.jpg

Barbara Ann Scott Park-College Park17_May10-09.jpg

Barbara Ann Scott Park-College Park20_May10-09.jpg

CP_June23-09.jpg

I think people are being way too harsh. It's nice, but much more of a square/park than a traditional park. Once you realign what you think it 'should' be, you realize that it's pretty decent in general.
I also think you'll need to give it a couple of years to grow in a bit more.

Isn't that where a few million went, to rehabilitate the underground garage slab?

Yes, but even perfectly renovated slabs do not last for ever so I think the point being made was that at some point (another 30 years) the plants will need to be torn up again and the slab repaired and re-waterproofed and there is a limit to the size of tree you can grow over slab as the depth of earth is not unlimited (in fact it IS limited.)

My perspective on this space:

A few weekends ago, at the beginning of June, some friends from out of town messaged asking if I wanted to meet in the "frog park". I had no idea what they were talking about, but eventually figured out that they were talking about this park. We met and chatted here for a couple hours and they loved the new park features, especially the frogs.

However, we ended up sitting in a not-very-welcoming concrete courtyard in the northeast corner adjacent to the park, because that's where we found tables where we could sit and have a conversation. We saw a lot of dog walkers and a few colourful characters using the space while we were there.

In a decade or so, this park will be surrounded by some of the tallest condos in Toronto: YSL, the Chelsea redevelopment, the proposed condo on Elm St, and those are just the ones that have been approved or are close to being approved at this point. The trees will have matured too. Perhaps it can be our version of Bryant Park.

Last edited:

Back