Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

You can also see the effect if you stand on the east side of Church, near the north end of the cathederal: Spire's balcony railings don't run parallel to the windows above them - visually, they "angle up" as they move around from left ( west ) to right ( east ).

I can't speak for the heterosexual north side - I'm only the advocate for the fancy-boy wraparounds.

It's clear from looking at them that they don't. Perhaps BB is suffering from myopia or worse as he stalks around the hood?

Clearly AP is talking about some other building entirely.

We dined with friends

We dined alone

A tenor sang

A baritone

Ah yes! I remember it well ...

Spire's balconies most definitely 'widen' or 'thin'. It can be seen from close up as well as in the original floorplans.

Just so I know we're talking about the same thing, what I mean is the dept of the balconies, yeah? I distinctly remember seeing that in the floor plans, then looking at the balconies while under construction to see if the design had been changed in the interm. I don't think I imagined the depth changes, though I will admit they're less obvious than expected.

They are all parallel to the building, as well as the street. Though the balconies on Church are narrower than those on Adelaide.

As previously explained, they extend out further and further out from the building, starting from their west end at the south face of Spire and moving to their north end at the east face of Spire. The balcony fronts do not run parallel to the building, they gradually angle out from it.

Another visual clue can be seen by comparing the number of modular glass panels at the ends of the balconies: there are three at the north end of the east face, but only two at the west end of the south face.

As previously explained, they extend out further and further out from the building, starting from their west end at the south face of Spire and moving to their north end at the east face of Spire. The balcony fronts do not run parallel to the building, they gradually angle out from it.

Another visual clue can be seen by comparing the number of modular glass panels at the ends of the balconies: there are three at the north end of the east face, but only two at the west end of the south face.

That's because the balconies on the east side are narrower than those on the south. But they are uniform in width for the full length of the balconies.

I checked this out yesterday because I thought it was an interesting little aesthetic trick but I could not see it. I can see that the east side is narrower than the south but the east side does not look any wider on the north end than the south end. In fact, the glass on the balcony confirms this as the glass and supports are the same on the south end of the east balcony as it is on the north end.

I think the fact the south and east balconies are different widths may create the illusion of a widening form (when there is not one). I would love to be proven wrong.

Stand on the sidewalk at the street intersection, under the lowest balcony, and look up at it - you'll see that it extends out further from the building at the north end of its east side than at the west end of its south side.

That carriage ride

You walked me home

You lost a glove

I lost a comb

Ah yes! I remember it well ...

Back