Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

We have a little treat for you. UrbanToronto has unearthed a never-before published rendering from the Clear Spirit and Gooderham condominium towers project at the Distillery. There is a lot we don't know about the rendering just yet, including whether or not it is part of an upcoming ad campaign, or conversely if it was part of an aborted one. We don't know yet if there are a number of sibling renderings also waiting for their time in the sun. We rather like this one, so we are hoping that we will have more to show you soon. One thing we do know, is that we will be able to answer these and many more questions for you in the new year as we bring you inside the construction site.

For the time being though, having obtained permission, we do have this rendering to show you to help you imagine how the whole complex will look upon completion. We say imagine because frankly, there have not been many images released of either the Gooderham or Clear Spirit condos, especially close up. What we are looking at here can best be sorted out by comparing the rendering to the plan for the second floor amenities included below, which is oriented toward north at the top. The rendering therefore shows a westward view, with the lower portion of Gooderham on the right, and Clear Spirit on the left. Gooderham will sit above the reconstructed shells of two of the distillery's rack houses. Closest to us are the second, third, and fourth floor units in Gooderham's black I-beam clad podium. The second floor units will have terraces on the roof of the easterly rack house 'J'. The roof of the westerly rack house 'G' will provide terrace area for the amenities. Above the east portion of the podium we see the fritted balconies of the first few floors of the sleek Gooderham tower above. Finally at ground level we see a cobbled public space filled with tables, chairs and umbrellas, expanding the distillery's public realm to the east.

The meshing of the distillery's rough heritage brick with the smooth modern materials of the towers is very striking. We know that not everyone approves of this melding of old and new, but we certainly hope that the final product will look as beautiful as this rendering promises.

GooderhamAmenities1250.jpg

GooderhamRecPlan872.jpg

Last edited:
There hasn't been much in the way of renderings but I think we already have a good idea of how this will turn out.

One only needs to look at the project they completed - where I think they did a excellent job of integrating it into the built form of the district. It looks like that'll continue with these two towers, it may even be better!

One only needs to look at the project they completed - where I think they did a excellent job of integrating it into the built form of the district.

I totally agree. Everytime I am in the area, I notice once again how nicely the podium of that tower fits into the area.
These renderings seem to suggest that this will happen once again. Very nice.

Clear Spirit and The Gooderham, by Cityscape and Dundee Realty, portend a brighter future for Toronto. They’re further proof that major stakeholders in this city – developers, architects, local communities, the city, and the buying public – finally are ‘getting it.’

Designed by architectsAlliance, with interiors by Chase Architecture and Ava Janikowski Architect (AJA), Clear Spirit and The Gooderham show how new buildings – done right – are essential to the existing urban fabric, even in / especially in historic districts like The Distillery. They energize the whole by injecting new life into underused and overlooked parts.

Text by Doug Convoy; Renderings Courtesy of Cityscape; Building Model Images by Craig White

Looking south-east toward Clear Spirit

The Gooderham to the north-east of Clear Spirit is omitted from this render.

ClearSpiritsExterior750.jpg

A view down the alley between the base of Clear Spirit to the west (right) and one of two preserved tank houses integrated into the base of The Gooderham to the east (left)

The north and east façades of the tank houses are intact and are being propped up during construction. The south and west façades will be rebuilt with original brick. The podium of Clear Spirit retains the same dimensions as the rack house it replaces. Legacy wood from all of these buildings is being reclaimed for flooring, furniture, and other interior elements in individual units, as an upgrade, and common areas. The ground floor of both bases will contain 100% retail, lobbies excluded.

DistilleryPatio750.jpg

The lobby at Clear Spirit

ClearSpiritLobby750.jpg

The new square defined by The Distillery District's future, mixed-use ribbon building to the south (left), Clear Spirit to the west (centre), and The Gooderham to the north (The tank houses comprising The Gooderham's base are partially in view on the right.)

Clear Spirit's angled columns remain integral to the building's design.

distillery-district_5.jpg

Looking north-east across the square toward The Gooderham

GooderhamTower750.jpg

New amenities level and two levels of residences above the tank houses in the podium of The Gooderham

GooderhamAmenities750.jpg

The lobby at The Gooderham

GooderhamLobby750.jpg

Looking east toward the Pump House, circa 1895 and currently housing Balzac's Coffee, with Clear Spirit rising to the east (left) and the ribbon building wrapping around to the south (right)

The ribbon building, still in development and slated for completion in around 2015, will contain a pedestrian passage, which will continue under the rail corridor, linking The Distillery District with the East Bayfront / waterfront.

distillery-district_6.jpg

The Distillery District plan with the ribbon building, Clear Spirit, and The Gooderham highlighted

distillery-district_3.jpg

Looking south-east

The Gooderham is to the east (left), Clear Spirit is to the west (right).

DistilleryModelP1200477.jpg

Looking north-west

Clear Spirit is to the west (left), The Gooderham is to the east (right).

DistilleryModelP1200472.jpg

The square with ribbon building to the south and east (left), Clear Spirit to the west (centre), and The Gooderham to the north (right)

DistilleryModelP1200474.jpg

The new square beyond the roof of the ribbon building, with Clear Spirit to the west (left) and The Gooderham to the north (centre)

DistilleryModelP1200480.jpg

Partial view of the square and alley bounded by the ribbon building to the south (centre), the podium of Clear Spirit to the west (right) and one of the tank houses in the podium of The Gooderham to the north and east (left)

DistilleryModelP1200483.jpg

Another view of the alley over the outdoor terrace atop the podium of The Gooderham

Clear Spirit's signature angled columns can be seen in the centre of the image.

DistilleryModelP1200487.jpg

Looking down into the podium of The Gooderham

DistilleryModelP1200475.jpg

Approximately eight units remain in Clear Spirit and thirty in The Gooderham, some two-storey. Construction on Clear Spirit will be done in 2012 and on The Gooderham in 2013.

We will take you into the model suite soon!

Last edited:
A pedestrian passage through the building and under the rail corridor will give access to the East Bayfront / waterfront.

Great news about the pedestrian passage. Does anyone know anything more about this? I'm guessing it will just open onto the mixed-use path that runs along the north side of Lake Shore between Cherry and Parliament. It would be nice if it eventually led to the construction of a new pedestrian crossing across the Lake Shore.

The most interesting part of this project to me is the "ribbon building", as it will really help define the Distillery District space, and shelter it from the ugly railroad tracks to the south. I just hope that, architecturally, it is in keeping with the rest of the ground-level buildings.

Great news about the pedestrian passage. Does anyone know anything more about this? I'm guessing it will just open onto the mixed-use path that runs along the north side of Lake Shore between Cherry and Parliament. It would be nice if it eventually led to the construction of a new pedestrian crossing across the Lake Shore.

Look at the Lower Don Lands Master Plan (BIG pdf) at: http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uplo...ecinct_esr_main_report___may_2010_23_mb_1.pdf

In particular see: Page 228 and page 273. It is not funded so I would not hold my breath to see it built - nice though it would be!

UrbanToronto's coverage of Clear Spirit and The Gooderham by Cityscape and Dundee Realty continues with a tour of the two-bedroom, 1070 square-foot model suite designed by architect and interior designer Ava Janikowski.

Text by Doug Convoy; images by Craig White

The suite features splashes yellow, orange, and red and accent furniture made from centuries-old pine and fir harvested from the former distillery buildings on site. Condo residents may purchase reclaimed planks and beams to craft into custom furniture and upgrade to flooring manufactured from this same legacy timber.

GooderhamSuiteP1200489.jpg

GooderhamSuiteP1200490.jpg

The kitchen showcases granite countertops, two-toned granite and back-painted glass backsplash, dark cappuccino flat-front cabinetry, and stainless steel appliances, all of which are standard.

GooderhamSuiteP1200498.jpg

Bathrooms contain ceramic floor and wall tiling, shower stalls with frameless tempered glass shower enclosures, wall-mounted basins, and soaker tub, all standard (where applicable, as per plan).

Second bathroom

GooderhamSuiteP1200495.jpg

Ensuite bathroom

GooderhamSuiteP1200503.jpg

GooderhamSuiteP1200500.jpg

The sales centre for Clear Spirit and The Gooderham is located at 55 Mill Street, in Building 51 in The Distillery District. Call 416-361-1322 or visit clearspiritliving.com.

Back