Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Pandemic put a hold on many marketing spends - the rebrand was very likely pushed back several months, complicating the logo install on CIBC square.

IIRC the KPMG logo on Bay Adelaide West also wasn’t installed on the building until quite a bit later after completion (for different reasons).

Couple from last night's sunset

KOT_4350.jpg
KOT_4368.jpg

The one complaint about this project is it should have been taller. Looking up at this from bay and lake shore it does feel a bit stumpy but views of it from every other perspective are 10/10
I agree, but I guess the 1 consolation is that there will be 2 towers and a lot of density, and it will really fill in this part of the skyline. But they could have been taller. Maybe we're just a bit spoiled. I think we've got more towers going up than anywhere on the continent and there's still tons more to come hopefully.

Back in the day, when I had to walk up to Union Station from my shoe box in the middle of the Yonge St. both sides of the hill...

...more seriously, thanks for taking the time to jog the memory, Fritter-san and Mr. End. /bows

It was a CP freight building before Metrolinx demolished and built their original Union Bus Terminal

An express freight building specifically. This type of freight - think parcels - was usually carried on passenger trains in a dedicated car, or in the baggage car. The CN express building was located on the opposite end, on the west side of York Street, and it still stands, incorporated into the Skywalk. The teamways, on either side of York and Bay Streets would have been used to send express cargo up to track level.

Heavy freight was managed elsewhere, like the freight delivery tracks located where Roy Thomson Hall now stands.

Anyone know when they plan to complete the partial demolition of the Yonge St. underpass? It's supposed to daylight a good chunk of the underpass, but I imagine it will involve closing Yonge St for a month or two to do it.

Back