Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
As much as I ADORE this project - still not happy with the flat/square finish. It's like the architects went home early. I STILL think a little creativity, panache and design elements could have been added - a finishing atop these two towers to denote and mark its prominence. Given the beauty and brilliance of these towers, a statement top would have been nice.
People keep saying it's a bad crown...if someone can show me 10 crowns in the city that surpass this I'll concede but from ground to parapet this product is full of fantastically planned details. On top of that we're all basing things on renders. Judging by the quality so far, I think we'll all be wowed by this one for a long time.

man thats why we dont get good things in Toronto, cause we are always moaning about the good things. that crowns will look so sweet once it's done.

Not necessarily Ice, Harbour, or 10 York. More so Infinity, and Maple Leaf Square.
agree. :)

July 26:
20190726_182050.jpg

People keep saying it's a bad crown...if someone can show me 10 crowns in the city that surpass this I'll concede but from ground to parapet this product is full of fantastically planned details. On top of that we're all basing things on renders. Judging by the quality so far, I think we'll all be wowed by this one for a long time.

Maybe @packers67 wanted a Wells Fargo/Key/Bank of America crown a la Pelli of the 80s/90s? Even his firm doesn't build like that anymore. At a more fundamental level, Wilkinson Eyre doesn't really have a record of building really showy crowns like that at any rate.

AoD

Maybe @packers67 wanted a Wells Fargo/Key/Bank of America crown a la Pelli of the 80s/90s? Even his firm doesn't build like that anymore. At a more fundamental level, Wilkinson Eyre doesn't really have a record of building really showy crowns like that at any rate.

AoD

Showy ≠ good in some cases, though. WE has some pretty eye-popping buildings with the Guangzhou IFC, One Barangaroo (in Sydney) and likely CIBC Square from the ground up (not necessarily relying on the crown to do the heavy lifting visually).

Doesn't have to be showy - just show some design imagination. The 'Fab Four Flattops' (FCP, Scotia, CC and TD Centre - soon to be joined by CC3) don't need another joining their party. A pez container, a Batista bobble-head - anything up top instead of yet another signature downtown 'scraper with a flat top IMO.

Doesn't have to be showy - just show some design imagination. The 'Fab Four Flattops' (FCP, Scotia, CC and TD Centre - soon to be joined by CC3) don't need another joining their party. A pez container, a Batista bobble-head - anything up top instead of yet another signature downtown 'scraper with a flat top IMO.

But it doesn’t have a flat top...?

^ yeah I'm seeing some very nicely articulated glass fins up top (no doubt hiding mechanical). Not sure they (fins) need to be angled just to please the earth is flat crowd ;-)

Midweek Special

Jump up! maybe 5 to 7 more floors to pour

4th-floor concrete was poured on the Southwest Retail, curtains are for containing the fireproof spray that goes on the beams and the ceilings

Eastern section ceiling/floor of level #3 and #4 filling in quickly

Attachments

• IMG_2170.jpeg
    IMG_2170.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 429
Re ur drawing:
Given the conjoined twins nature of the building(s) with the core rising dead centre, is it a switch to all steel for the taller north twin?

Edit: just realized how wide the core is.. so probably a smaller concrete core heads up/north for the taller twin.

Last edited:
Re ur drawing:
Given the conjoined twins nature of the building(s) with the core rising dead centre, is it a switch to all steel for the taller north twin?

Edit: just realized how wide the core is.. so probably a smaller concrete core heads up/north for the taller twin.
ld imagine just steel at the very top. Seems to be what the renders show.

Back