Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
also G) Transit could potentially lease 10-15 floors..

GO's new headquarters will be right in Union Station itself, west side offices.

The one bad thing about such a huge building at this location is that it will completely obscure a few of the key buildings in the skyline shot from the lake! :p

Then it better be a key building itself!

SITQ has a tradition of building landmark office buildings; nothing run of the mill here!

If you look back at the PDFs posted on this development, you'll notice the shape of the tower and the fact that it includes a multi-storey shopping atrium and a winter garden. Definitely a blockbuster office development.

I saw the president of SITQ speak yesterday in a roundtable discussion with other real estate executives. I should be clear in noting that the words "45 Bay" were never uttered but his overall remarks did not leave me with too much hope that SITQ would be developing this site any time soon.

He is a very frank speaker and one of the things that he noted that the previous strategy for diversification was to travel the world picking buildings here and there. While he recognizes the need for a fund that size to have diversification he noted that he prefers a situation where they have that diversification by having a critical mass in a few diverse locations. They have that now in their obvious home of Montreal/Quebec....they have stuff in Calgary....Paris...a few other markets that he mentioned.....given the size of the Toronto market they are really not a player and he specifically said that buying here is too expensive..... Another market he mentioned was Boston...noting that they have 2 buildings there...his comment (paraphrased) was that "that hardly makes you a significant player in a market that size....you either need to grow that or shrink it".

....again, there was no comment at all about 45 Bay by name but it would not shock me at all if they end up flipping this site to another player.

Last edited:
looks like the rumours about the Bus Depot being a part of this may have some truth to them, although nothing is definite yet....

A Metrolinx spokesperson confirmed to the Star this week that the agency is “contemplating” building a new bus terminal at 45 Bay St., currently a parking lot just east of the Air Canada Centre. Metrolinx is also looking at other sites adjacent to Union Station, the spokesperson added. The current GO bus terminal is south of Front St. between Yonge and Bay.

In 2007, 45 Bay St. was purchased by Ivanhoe Cambridge, the real estate subsidiary of Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, a pension-fund managing giant based in Quebec City. A spokesperson for the company said that a 50-storey office tower is planned for the site, and confirmed that the company is talking with various outside parties, but would not divulge details.

“It’s still early in the game for us,” says François Gaboury, Ivanhoe Cambridge’s director of public affairs and communications.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1112225--landmark-bus-depot-loses-its-lustre?bn=1

^^^ But, isn't it true that if a bus depot is constructed here, an office tower would be on top of the depot? I didn't think it would just be a depot on that lot.....

Would greyhound move here too ? I wish ...

What would happen with the current GO site.

This thread is well over 5 years old and it's still "early in the game" to say what will happen on this patch of ground. Interesting.

It's possible the office tower would be built above the bus terminal, but in many ways I think it would be harder to lease the space above a coach terminal due to the stigma of such terminals. Maybe being so close to the ACC and Union would make this a moot point though.

If it's built as a stand-alone bus terminal, I wonder if the existing GO terminal would be left as is for now and connected through a tunnel under the rail corridor. If GO ever does run all-day, two-way service on all rail lines, I'm not sure how much bus terminal space it would need since the existing buses would presumably be used for the York, 401, 407, etc., routes.

It's possible the office tower would be built above the bus terminal, but in many ways I think it would be harder to lease the space above a coach terminal due to the stigma of such terminals. Maybe being so close to the ACC and Union would make this a moot point though.

Not only that but the building is on Bay Street and right next to Union Station.

If you want to attract people to work from across the GTA, there would be almost no better place.

They've also moved some of their offices closer to the yard(Willowbrook) into 335 Judson.

If GO ever does run all-day, two-way service on all rail lines

I'm assuming you were being sarcastic, but in case you weren't its not a matter of if but rather when. All day service on the Barrie and Stouffville lines will be up and running by 2013 and the Georgetown line will follow in 2015 once construction on the ARL is finished.

Back