Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I think using your real name on a message board is somewhat lacking in creativity. But that's just my opinion. That said, I've never tried to hide my identity.

This thread is thrilling. What visitors often remember & appeciate is infrastructure, in particular transportation infrastructure. With Pearson absolutely world class with talk of its dedicated rail link; the Eglinton subway; and a major rail/subway/bus hub taking shape around the revitalized Union Station we are in great shape.

Can someone explain why it is a good idea to place the largest bus terminal in the country furthest away from where all the travelers are going just to get closer to a highway off-ramp?

I know it's been mentioned that it's north of the Gardner, but even south of it would still be an enormous improvement over the current location from my point of view. The current terminal is a full block and a bit from the subway, and staying indoors requires you to navigate through a confusing series of twists and turns and escalators at either end of the atrium on Bay (disclaimer: it's been 6 years since I last used Greyhound and I don't know if improvements have been made).

I also think there's a ton of value in being close to an off-ramp. Most buses at the terminal also come in/out of the city via the Gardner. The fact that they need to drive several additional blocks in downtown traffic to the terminal was always irritating to me as a passenger. Usually they would stop at Union and I would get off there, but on the return trip I'd have to board at the terminal. Eliminating this step of the journey would save most passengers several minutes. Being able to transfer to trains at Union that are "right friggin there" is also a huge benefit. And of course it's also more convenient for most passengers getting to/from the terminal by car.

I would not mind seeing something like this down there.

FutureNewYorkbusterminal.jpg

Port Authority Bus Terminal
855' - 42 Stories + 3 story Port Authority base
Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
Proposed

^ not bad, I was hoping for something more aspirational like a green glass and precast cladded condo lifted by a podium of above ground parking.

This site is ideal for a major office tower. Directly across from the ACC and kiddie-corner to Union, it has as much development potential as the new buildings on York Street but with the added value of a Bay Street address. Ideally it will be further integrated into the path tCE place, Union and the ACC. As Telus and Southcore have shown, the land directly below the tracks can be integrated into the existing financial centre very effectively. There are development realities and some questions about the need for more office space in the core that are clearly important. But those questions are what turns a vision into a reality. As far as the vision goes, this site is one of the best vacant sites for a large scale office tower left in the core.

As for the bus station component, it would probably make more sense to leave the ground floor of the Bay Street aside (across from the ACC) for office tower and the back end (abutting 18 Yonge) for the entrance to the bus station. Perhaps, as has been mentioned earlier, the bus station can exist underneath the rail tracks and be connected to the existing interim station just north of this proposed site.

Also, my real name is Toad. Unfortunately for me, my parents licked a lot of toads and aptly named me while high. I also look like a toad so while I don't hide my name on this message board I try to hide my hideousness.

Last edited:
Also, my real name is Toad. Unfortunately for me, my parents licked a lot of toads and aptly named me while high. I also look like a toad so while I don't hide my name on this message board I try to hide my hideousness.

On the other hand, I always watch your TV program, "Everybody Loves Hypnotoad".

As far as integrating the 45 Bay St. Office tower and the possible new bus terminal, I would think that having the bus bays (and ticket boots / waiting areas) underground, with only the entrance and exit being on the ground floor, would be the best-looking solution.

Last edited:
Last edited:
- Toronto currently has the best downtown office market in North America
- 'potential' for office construction announcements in 2011

Wow..hope its true..because lately all you hear regarding office development in this city is doom and gloom...example, the office market in Toronto has tanked, Southcore-2 will be the last of the larger office buildings to be built for the next 5-10 years, no more pre-leases going on anymore and that should stop construction.etc. etc. etc.

"Hear Hear" for Mongo that pretty well hit the nail on the head.:)

The Toronto office market is a lot stronger than expected, though, with considerably lower vacancy rates than were predicted two years ago. Toronto has weathered the recent economic downturn better than just about any large city on Earth (with the possible exception of cities in China, although even they have had to suspend much of their construction activity).

And we have been hearing rumours about possible activity involving both the 45 Bay site, and the next phase of Bay-Adelaide. Don't count the 16 York office tower out, either (although that one might not happen for several years).

I expect that several large office towers will break ground in the next year, in addition to the Bremner Tower.

Several large office towers breaking ground in the next year... Sounds extremely ambitious. We don't even have plans for several large office towers. Phase 2 of BAC is the residential / hotel building, and 50 Bay Street has a very long way to go before ever breaking ground.

Several large office towers breaking ground in the next year... Sounds extremely ambitious. We don't even have plans for several large office towers. Phase 2 of BAC is the residential / hotel building, and 50 Bay Street has a very long way to go before ever breaking ground.

What..phase 2 of BAC is a 45 storey/aprox,200 meter 800.000sq.ft. tower, and i really dont know what you are talking about on 50 Bay street,

Phase 2 of BAC is actually the second office tower, Phase 3 is the hotel/residential building. And 50 Bay Street broke ground in the late 90's, it's the ACC. I think you meant 45 Bay St.

I assume you meant 45 Bay Street. I think that ground-breaking might well be sooner than you would think. Once a major tenant is signed, construction can start as soon as the permits are in place, and if it does include the new bus terminal as is rumoured, the City would be more inclined to quickly issue them. The rumours about this project do indicate to me that there is movement on this project.

A lady I work with said her husband was involved in the development of a new office tower which was hush hush right now. She couldn't remember the details, but she seemed to think it was coming soon. Not sure how reliable it was, but you never know.

Back