Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I can't see an office tower built on top of a major bus depot - How would that work? there would be a stigma for sure but also access for buses, people etc how can this work together? I think it is more likely that it would end up being a stand alone bus depot and the city would lose a potentially great office site.
Place Bonaventure in Montreal has a bus station in its basement, and is linked to subway and VIA rail station next door. It is very unlikely that this site could be used ONLY for a bus station for reasons of land cost if nothing else. One certainly can have a bus station in one's basement and if it's done properly it can work well for everyone.

Yup - Having the bus terminal underground would facilitate a pedestrian tunnel to Union Station and avoid disrupting the streetscape too much.

^^^^ OMG, AKS, please don't say that. I have hopes that this site will eventually be something rather different just because it's a Quebec-based company that will control the final product (building).

Care to clarify what this is supposed to mean? Have you seen some of the crap going on in downtown Montreal?

Also, doesn't the Tower City Centre in Cleveland have a bus depot as well?

^^^^ Well, often, it seems, local companies can just produce similar buildings again and again, which reinforces the mindset, "that coping and pasting designs will still sell." I'm hoping that since this site has a different developer, there's a higher chance the design and color of the final product will be different from what we typically see in Toronto. It's kind of like how sometimes hiring externally (rather than always promoting internally) at work allows for some fresh energy and the potential of someone looking at things differently. I always get excited when there is a chance of influence (developer, architect, etc.) on any project from anywhere outside of the GTA (and especially if it's outside of Canada) as that would theoretically increase the opportunity of something more eye-catching to be built (as most developments in GTA are conservative and functional - good for profits, not always good for looks).

^^^^ Well, often, it seems, local companies can just produce similar buildings again and again, which reinforces the mindset, "that coping and pasting designs will still sell." I'm hoping that since this site has a different developer, there's a higher chance the design and color of the final product will be different from what we typically see in Toronto. It's kind of like how sometimes hiring externally (rather than always promoting internally) at work allows for some fresh energy and the potential of someone looking at things differently. I always get excited when there is a chance of influence (developer, architect, etc.) on any project from anywhere outside of the GTA (and especially if it's outside of Canada) as that would theoretically increase the opportunity of something more eye-catching to be built (as most developments in GTA are conservative and functional - good for profits, not always good for looks).

Why would a Quebec-based company do any favours for Toronto? They are just as likely as greedy local developers to be interested ONLY in profits.

^^^^Completely agree with you. Though don't forget Canderel is a Montreal company and according to most people here they've produced nothing but crap. However, I'm a huge fan of Aura.

Breaking news...or old news?!

According to http://www.arcestra.com/view/arcade/45-bay-st?city=Toronto&type=OFFICE&suiteSize= the architect is Colin Graham of Chandler Graham Architects.

Note the green-coloured base here--looks rather like a huge bus terminal to me!

fetchPublicFileLink.action

Possibly mixed use planned for the site? I'm having trouble counting here but do I see around 75s??!!

fetchPublicFileLink.action

Also same site has proposed 2s extension for 590 King Street West--the huge long old warehouse holding the Lee Valley Tools store.

Btw, whatever happened to the thread starter--Suicidal Gingerbread Man? I always thought that was a hilariously funny name.:)

Last edited:
Possibly mixed use planned for the site? I'm having trouble counting here but do I see around 75s??!!

I count 75 floors as well, plus what looks like two oversized mechanical floors. 5 underground floors. If half the building ends up being office at average commercial ceiling heights, wouldn't that put this tower within striking range of 1000 feet? Aura with its originally planned 75 residential floors is already at 873. Either way, this could be one impressively tall building for the core.

I count 75 floors as well, plus what looks like two oversized mechanical floors. 5 underground floors. If half the building ends up being office at average commercial ceiling heights, wouldn't that put this tower within striking range of 1000 feet? Aura with its originally planned 75 residential floors is already at 873. Either way, this could be one impressively tall building for the core.

^ True - if half of this building is office - and it's 75 stories, it would be significantly taller than Aura!

if thirty of those floors are office and the office floors are half a metre taller than a residential floor (maybe more) then this could be 15m taller than Aura.

Last edited:
^ True - if half of this building is office - and it's 75 stories, it would be significantly taller than Aura!

if thirty of those floors are office and the office floors are half a metre taller than a residential floor (maybe more) then this could be 15m taller than Aura.

This seems like a no strings area.....why not just make it 300+ meters and Toronto's tallest.

Back