Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Anyone know what they are doing in the top right corner?
IMG_6120.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6120.JPG
    IMG_6120.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 642
Anyone know what they are doing in the top right corner?
View attachment 115165

They've been working on it all week, it's an ever rising concrete pad between 18 Yonge St and the railway tracks. Every day they add a new layer, but they are not putting in any rebar or steel. I think it's probably the best solution to protect the north wall of 18 Yonge St as there is actually a small walkway between 18 Yonge and the concrete pad they are building. My best guess is a that it will eventually be a platform for the boring machines but a safer way to protect 18 Yonge from damage. They have control problems with the loose berm they are creating. They are constantly adjusting the sloped walls with the diggers.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations
Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#:17 198621 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date: Jul 14, 2017
Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential
Work: Other(BA)
Description: Proposal to install column footings and caps to the platform level of 81 and 141 Bay St for the new sky park bridge.

Gosh that berm is huge. I'm really interested to see how it integrates into the digging.

They've moved one of the molds/forms that they use to layout the exact location for the boring machine to drill up to the top of the berm. It's a series of circles that they first back fill with concrete. Later they remove the mold/form and pour a different type of concrete in the circles. The boring machine uses the circles to align it's next shaft. In the second shot you can see they've covered the mold/forms with a plywood cover. They have also added two more levels of concrete to the pad they are building in upper right side of the photo next to 18 Yonge St. When things change I try to take a photo in the morning and another in the late afternoon. I'm in one of those dreaded green glass condos so I suppose that's why my iPhone pics have a greenish tint.

Morning.JPG
Afternoon.JPG

Attachments

• Morning.JPG
    Morning.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 509
  • Afternoon.JPG
    Afternoon.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 472
Any best guesses on when we start seeing them dig down? I'm quite interested in seeing how they work with the berm they've constructed here...should be a complicated dig.

No excavation until all the shoring and caisson walls are done around the perimeter of the site.

The berm will be removed then before they start digging the pit.

From yesterday.

IMG_5961.JPG
IMG_5959.JPG

Work north of 18 Yonge.
IMG_5963.JPG

Looks like they are also starting on the park over the rail corridor. Lots of guys on the tracks and lots of paint markings.
IMG_5966.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5961.JPG
    IMG_5961.JPG
    602.4 KB · Views: 845
  • IMG_5959.JPG
    IMG_5959.JPG
    515.3 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_5963.JPG
    IMG_5963.JPG
    575.3 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_5966.JPG