Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
They've been bringing in bits and pieces for the boring machine all day. I could use some help with the proper names for these machines, I'm just making up a name to fit the use

IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0452.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    694.5 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 492
It's a working platform for the equipment that will be installing the shoring. There will be a full caisson wall here.

I am still confused by the berm. The arch plans on the website show that space as excavated area - it has to be removed eventually. I really wonder what it is for.

I am still confused by the berm. The arch plans on the website show that space as excavated area - it has to be removed eventually. I really wonder what it is for.

It's just soil east of the Bay teamway - they will need to build a retaining wall abutting the railberm I think - and it will need to hold while the basement is being excavated - and get it capped as a crash wall eventually.

AoD

If I may be permitted a guess - if the excavation for the building is going to abut the rail lines, the existing embankment cannot be removed entirely in order to do the necessary shoring - there would be a lack of support for the raised rail lines. The new berm is false work, to raise the level at which the shoring can start to the same level as the existing rail bed. The shoring equipment will be positioned on the new temporary berm at the same elevation as the rail bed, and drill down from there, with the retaining / crash barrier walls being built from that height. When the retaining and crash barrier walls are complete, the new berm, and whatever was left of the original berm inside the CIBC Square property line, would then be removed.

It's just soil east of the Bay teamway - they will need to build a retaining wall abutting the railberm I think - and it will need to hold while the basement is being excavated - and get it capped as a crash wall eventually.

AoD

If I may be permitted a guess - if the excavation for the building is going to abut the rail lines, the existing embankment cannot be removed entirely in order to do the necessary shoring - there would be a lack of support for the raised rail lines. The new berm is false work, to raise the level at which the shoring can start to the same level as the existing rail bed. The shoring equipment will be positioned on the new temporary berm at the same elevation as the rail bed, and drill down from there, with the retaining / crash barrier walls being built from that height. When the retaining and crash barrier walls are complete, the new berm, and whatever was left of the original berm inside the CIBC Square property line, would then be removed.

I would add to the chorus that it is specific to the rail berm. My guess is that it is work being contracted by Metrolinx because a) CIBC Square as a development hasn't received approval yet (right?), b) these are pre-works for the bus terminal, and c) Metrolinx wants control and responsibility over protecting the rail corridor, and not leave it up to Ivanhoé Cambridge / WilkinsonEyre / their contractors.

There is oversight in the form of city building inspectors making sure things are built to the approved specs. There's being a number of developments built along the rail corridors that incorporate crash barriers into their structures. I doubt Metrolinx/CN/CP played an active role in building these. It's not their property.

The second phase doesn't touch the recently sold Dominion Building? What's the development potential of that building with CIBC Square so close?

Back