News   Jul 10, 2024
 254     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Toronto/Chicago comparisons

You got reason they would choose Toronto?

It's an extraneous question.

They are fictional characters in a film. If the writer intended them to go elsewhere, it would have been in the script.

A better question would be....why do you choose to miss the point entirely???

Toronto's architecture is terrific. As good as any.

The problem is its state of repair. Due to a number of reasons little of the money Toronto's economy makes is redirected to the preservation of its buildings and public realm.

Yeah the architechture is not too bad, the main problem is public realm. Most of the city looks terrible with rusted hydro poles, wooden hydro poles, patched up sidewalks, sidewalks with weeds all over the place...I could go on.

A friend of mine from the Chicago area recently visited Toronto for a few weeks. His opinion on the two cities were that Toronto was without doubt the better city. Toronto feels like a much safer and prosperous city. People are happier and poverty doesn't seem to be as much of an issue (I don't agree with him on that). He also said that Torontonians tend to care more about the well being of the collective, while Chicago and the United States in general tends to be more self centered (not sure if I agree with him on that either). In short, people in Toronto are more willing to help.

He did say that transit in Chicago may be better and that they have more "cool stuff" to see (this is changing). But if he had the opportunity to move, Toronto would win hands down.

Last edited:
I was in Chicago again this past weekend. If anything they have better than us, it is the waterfront and Michigan avenue. Otherwise, once u get away from the waterfront, I'm not a big fan.
Went to India town for indian food and we had to take a cab and the ride was waaay north of the city. It was not even in Chicago. How ridiculous was that.

Better hot dogs in Chicago... although I like the Polish sausages in Toronto. Yum!!

Just returned from Chicago yesterday, 2nd time I've been there this year (the first being in June). I also visited in winter 2011. Final verdict: visit - Chicago, live - Toronto. There are things both cities could learn/borrow from each other and both are great world cities.

Went to India town for indian food and we had to take a cab and the ride was waaay north of the city. It was not even in Chicago. How ridiculous was that.

The issue isn't that Chicago's urban areas are too spread out, but that they run in a very narrow North/South corridor, close to the shore. Toronto's urban area goes much further away from the lake, and therefore isn't as long in any one direction, which makes it easier to get places within the city, but makes downtown harder to access from the suburbs.

Chicago:
zu02lk.png

Toronto:
s6hmit.png

* The scale isn't accurate; Toronto's map is zoomed out further.

Back