Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

Saw this on the Globandmail.com. Photo by Maggi Tsui. Cool shot of Casa during last nights light show....

lightning6_167228gm-f.jpg

source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/sunday-evening-light-show/article1246713/

scary photo

Saw this on the Globandmail.com. Photo by Maggi Tsui. Cool shot of Casa during last nights light show...

Thanks for sharing that with us MikeMang. Now it looks like I will have to watch out for lightning bolts AND falling wine glasses, LOL
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very interested to see what the podium looks like when completed. All these Spire-ish buildings look very sexy from afar, but I think Casa is going to look sharp from top to bottom.

I can't help but be amazed in great structural engineering. Those steel/cement pillars and walls extend from top to bottom and carry the entire weight of each floor. In fact, the lower floors carry the weight of everything above. Remember the size of the footings that were put down? WOW!

I can't help but be amazed in great structural engineering. Those steel/cement pillars and walls extend from top to bottom and carry the entire weight of each floor. In fact, the lower floors carry the weight of everything above. Remember the size of the footings that were put down? WOW!

Well, not really. Those small columns aren't supporting the weight of the building, but channeling its thrust to the ground. The lower floors don't bear those above them because their 'weight' is not static, but constant, and is being 'pushed' downward into the earth.

Part of me actually wants the funny hat to be stronger. I hope they do something stupid like line the edges with LEDs. Or maybe install a waterfall across every edge, that would send a solid sheet of water cascading down, five feet out from everyone's balcony. Take that, public art!

Still, this one's a keeper. It will be marked 'Do Not Blow Up.'

I'm slowly becoming a fan of this building. The hat could be thickened up a bit but otherwise I think its perfect. I'm waiting to see how the base is finished off. Right now, it kind of crushes its neighbours but some glazing, wood paneling, stone, paint, lighting, and landscaping should tone it down.

It's a bit of an unusual building in that they didn't bring the sleek, glass element right to the ground like most towers of this kind. I like their treatment of the lower floors, the lobby area looks like it will have an artistic, welcoming element to it and should be really engaging to passers by.

I really like the way Spire's balconies give that 'urban life' feeling on this lovely summer morning.
I imagine Casa with it's similar balconies will feel like this in a couple of years.

Attachments

• DSCF0608.jpg
    DSCF0608.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 215
Frankly, it isn't much of a hat - and it doesn't need to be. It caps off the head of steam generated by the upward energy of the stacked balconies, to which it is a secondary element, and summarizes their proportions. The tower's as simple as it's possible to be - including the little cap.

Nothing's overdone - it's The Great Man's best large scale work so far.

Back