Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

All but one of the London Planes planted in April('ish) of 2014 in Barbara Hall Park (formally Cawthra Square Park) survived. One, near the sidewalk, was looking like it wasn't going to make it by July or August of last summer. That said, it leaves me to think it's about trees tolerating salt. Some areas along Bloor W. carry more winds than Barbara Hall Park, but not all of Bloor Street.

^Salt is an issue but I think it's the brutal drying and ripping winds of the Bloor Street Canyon and low light conditions there. I observed leaves on the trees that were physically ripped from the wind and there were dry open cracks in the stem of a few trees that looked like something you would see in drift-wood.

Ashleys is an outstanding and unique retailer and their presence helps Manulife immensely. But their façade defaces Manulife's brutalist style. Hopefully they have some plans to improve that solution.

The west, north, and east sides of the Manulife Centre are currently being proposed to be built out to the sidewalks. Ashley's, and every other retail frontage, will change if this plan is approved. Although I have not seen any renderings so I cannot be certain, I would be very surprised if the brutalist style were referenced by the new facades.

They're looking to rationalize all of the grade changes, add square footage all 'round, and it is rumoured that they are looking to fit Eataly into the north side on the second floor.

I would be so happy to have Eataly just across the street from me.
Just back from Milan where we ate at Eataly twice. It's an interesting concept and I certainly think the eating part will do well here but not so sure about the groceries and the "stuff'. But then maybe it's the combination that makes it such a magnet? The Milan one was busy in a mid-week evening and jammed to the doors on a Sunday night.

Just back from Milan where we ate at Eataly twice. It's an interesting concept and I certainly think the eating part will do well here but not so sure about the groceries and the "stuff'. But then maybe it's the combination that makes it such a magnet? The Milan one was busy in a mid-week evening and jammed to the doors on a Sunday night.

I have been to the Chicago one 2x and I was surprised as to how packed it was. People were lining up to buy cheese and meats and the restaurants were full. Even on a mid week and lunch hour.

Yorkville Avenue Revitalization. Finally! (I don't know where else to put these.)

IMG_7733 copy.jpg

IMG_7735.jpg
IMG_7737.jpg
IMG_7738.jpg
IMG_7739.jpg
IMG_7744 copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7735.jpg
    IMG_7735.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 789
  • IMG_7737.jpg
    IMG_7737.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 766
  • IMG_7738.jpg
    IMG_7738.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 763
  • IMG_7739.jpg
    IMG_7739.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 776
  • IMG_7744 copy.jpg
    IMG_7744 copy.jpg
    862.3 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_7733 copy.jpg
    IMG_7733 copy.jpg
    869.9 KB · Views: 762
Last edited:
You know, if this and Queens Quay are the goodies we get for hosting games, bring on the Summer Olympics, bring on the Winter Olympics, bring on the World Cup, bring on the all the All Star Games, World Series, Stanley Cup Finals, Grey Cup, Vanier Cup, Arctic Games, Quebec Games, the World Scrabble Championships, bring it all on.

More please!

I didn't even realize this was happening. What a difference those pavers make. Too bad the bricks couldn't be placed around the manholes in the same fashion, instead of leaving those cement squares. They really detract from the otherwise nice execution. Little details like that make a huge difference. One would hardly notice the manholes they were surrounded by the pavers.

Back