Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

I'm glad that the dead trees are being removed. I was afraid they might be left there until the PanAm Games were on. We don't want the world to see dead trees on our main shopping street. Now that I've been paying more attention to trees in this city I can't help but notice how many dead, lop-sided and ugly trees there are in this city. When you compare the trees here to just about any other major city, it's pretty pathetic. Why can't this city get trees right?

I wonder the same thing all the time. In this case I think these were just the wrong trees for this location, but that doesn't explain nearly every other street of struggling trees in the city- ignoring the older residential streets of course, I'm referring to most of our main thoroughfares that were planted within the past 20 or so years.

We really do need to make that distinction. Toronto has a very healthy and impressive tree canopy for a city it's size. We just don't get street trees right in some specific locations. Clearly, while you can just plunk a tree down in the park and it will do fine, a street tree needs a lot of thoughtful planning and care to survive and thrive here.

We really do need to make that distinction. Toronto has a very healthy and impressive tree canopy for a city it's size. We just don't get street trees right in some specific locations. Clearly, while you can just plunk a tree down in the park and it will do fine, a street tree needs a lot of thoughtful planning and care to survive and thrive here.

Yes the older established trees are fine. It's the new ones we plant. They need lots of care and maintenance to help them get established. Anyone who gardens knows that. Choosing a more delicate species just means even more care and maintenance.

I'm glad that the dead trees are being removed. I was afraid they might be left there until the PanAm Games were on. We don't want the world to see dead trees on our main shopping street. Now that I've been paying more attention to trees in this city I can't help but notice how many dead, lop-sided and ugly trees there are in this city. When you compare the trees here to just about any other major city, it's pretty pathetic. Why can't this city get trees right?

A bit too generalist.

St. George Street has great street trees. There was a need to replace several in the first 2-3 years after planting.

But overall very good performance. The gold standard on street trees is 70% survival beyond 3 years (after planting), after which most are fine, if in good conditions.

St. George is the gold-standard for how to treat street trees w/long trenches/planters providing lots of room for the roots; a diversity of species, mostly well chosen, and intensive
maintenance early on.

Bloor was mainly a product of A) poor species choice; B)fall planting.....

..though I'll add I'm not a fan of the 'water bag' system being used for new trees, I haven't seen any studies yet on its efficacy, but I wander by and find a lot of them have no water in them, suggesting they are not refilled often enough to replace the benefit of a more robust watering program (especially the 1st year after planting).

As to other main streets in the City, many still have trees in those old concrete boxes which are way too small; when you see something that actually did well in one, you have to congratulate the tree! In most cases a healthy tree's roots would out grow those boxes w/in 3-4 years, so the trees end up short of moisture, and nutrients trying to sustain an ever larger mass out of that tiny un-expanding box.

Even the first generation tree pits are pretty poor, they let very little water in, and provide only marginally more growing space than the old boxes.

Note, as a rule of thumb; most species of trees will (given the room) grow roots THREE times as wide as the crown (meaning the roots want to reach three times however far the branches go)

High quality street tree performance requires Right species, planted at the right time, in the right conditions, and aggressive watering/maintenance for at least the 1st season, but ideally 2-3 years.

As to salt, which is very much an issue, there are many alternatives, but, in fairness to the city, they vary in efficacy and are often more expensive.

I would like to see a move towards lower-sodium content 'brines', better application strategies (most salt spreaders are quite indiscriminate and aren't even adjusted based on road/sidewalk size to spray where and as needed.

Consideration of heated catch basin covers and curbs at major corners would also help reduce ice buildup.

Gravel/sand can be used too, which is more about adding traction than melting snow/ice; but it can be an issue for building up in drainage systems and spring cleanup.

Tree trenches or pits, could also be lipped to reduce salt-water run-off in winter, though this also reduces ground-water infiltration in the summer.

There are many trade-offs in design choices.

Bottom line being we (as a City) can do better; there have been significant improvements in recent years; and City Forestry deserves credit for demanding improved streetscape
design for tree pits/planters.

But much is left to be done if we hope to one day see towering oaks or elms on main streets.

Just for the heckovit, here's a healthy London Plane (at least it sure looks like one to me) growing in the park beside Augusta in Kensington Market from last weekend.

DSC00095.jpg

That's just to say that given the right conditions, the trees will grow in Ontario.

Attachments

• DSC00095.jpg
    DSC00095.jpg
    794.8 KB · Views: 736
See a lot of dead trees in any city with new plantings. One thing you don't really see in Toronto are commercial streets lined with mature trees on either side. I assume the planters and hydro/streetcar lines are a big cause of this.

Toronto street trees really only excel on our residential streets :)

We have beautiful residential streets with towering trees in Toronto. They're usually planted in people's front yards, which are relatively generous in our city. What I find remarkable in other cities like Montreal are residential streets with in-sidewalk trees that have grown tall and created a canopy over the roadway. People don't have front yards, but the residential streets are quite attractive nonetheless.

I think one thing most folks agree about is Toronto does NOT do a good job of tree plantings on major streets ... forgot about whether they're alive or dead, just their existence !
In most cities the equivalent of Yonge street wouldn't be treeless - and many other major streets in Toronto are similar.

Back