Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

I'm still waiting to see the results but first impressions are that there is a lot of tree die-off in the Bloorcourt tree planting from last summer. They did plant the trees unfortunately at the height of summer. Results seem to indicate that of the three main varieties: Silver Maple, Elm, and Purple Robe Black Locust (could have the wrong maple listed) The maples are in the worst shape, followed by the Locusts (which are still budding and therefore we don't have a full picture yet). The clear champions are the Elms which generally look completely happy.

I'm still waiting to see the results but first impressions are that there is a lot of tree die-off in the Bloorcourt tree planting from last summer. They did plant the trees unfortunately at the height of summer. Results seem to indicate that of the three main varieties: Silver Maple, Elm, and Purple Robe Black Locust (could have the wrong maple listed) The maples are in the worst shape, followed by the Locusts (which are still budding and therefore we don't have a full picture yet). The clear champions are the Elms which generally look completely happy.

Silver Maples are the most likely; and are naturally a swamp species, thus really preferring wetter conditions.

Elms are a bit more upland. They may better tolerate dryness when getting established, though I still wouldn't recommend it.

Nothing, ideally (tree-wise) should be planted after May or before October. You want to plant trees during their dormant phase (no leaves) ideally, its just less hard on the tree for a variety of reasons and reduces the risk of transplant shock/death.

Also nut-bearing trees and conifers should really be spring only, there is pretty clear evidence they don't do as well in fall transplants.

This morning I noticed new trees planted on the south side of Bloor between Avenue Road and the patio in front of the Colonnade.

They definitely are not London Planes. I think there were two varieties, but I could not tell you what they are.

According to one of the guys planting the trees, everything west of the mid-block crosswalk is elm (not sure what what kind) and then to the east it's Kentucky coffeetree.

Even with all the money of the Bloor-Yorkville BIA behind this project, (silva cells, privately funded tree maintenance, etc etc) We STILL can't figure out how to get a f***ing TREE to grow on a Toronto street.

Who's responsible for messing this up?

"According to one of the guys planting the trees, everything west of the mid-block crosswalk is elm (not sure what what kind) and then to the east it's Kentucky coffeetree"

By my unscientific observation in my previous post elm should be a good candidate as they have done very well on Bloor elsewhere.

New street trees also went in on the Danforth West of Greektown in the Mosaic BIA. I'm curious if anyone knows how they did?

What happened to the pieace of art that was suppose to be installed ?

From earlier this morning, dead/dying trees coming down just east of Yonge, and the first new tree ready to go in.

IMG_20150520_100303.png

IMG_20150520_094320.png

IMG_20150520_094318.png

IMG_20150520_094212.png

IMG_20150520_100208.png

Attachments

• IMG_20150520_100303.png
    IMG_20150520_100303.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,301
  • IMG_20150520_100208.png
    IMG_20150520_100208.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,269
  • IMG_20150520_094320.png
    IMG_20150520_094320.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,304
  • IMG_20150520_094318.png
    IMG_20150520_094318.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,302
  • IMG_20150520_094212.png
    IMG_20150520_094212.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,275
I'm glad that the dead trees are being removed. I was afraid they might be left there until the PanAm Games were on. We don't want the world to see dead trees on our main shopping street. Now that I've been paying more attention to trees in this city I can't help but notice how many dead, lop-sided and ugly trees there are in this city. When you compare the trees here to just about any other major city, it's pretty pathetic. Why can't this city get trees right?

Back