Toronto Bloor Street Neighbourhood Condos | ?m | 32s | Cresford | Northgrave

I disagree. I think this building, other than the small base that faces Casa, isn't that bad looking. Consider the era when this development was conceived--Spire hadn't even been launched yet, 18 Yorkville was seen as "risky" by developers from an architectural pov. Sales launched in 2003, which means this building's concept was first proposed c.2000. It's not as ugly as WHC, or as generic-looking as WPC or even some CP buildings. It fills negative space, while Casa occupies positive space. That doesn't mean BSN is worthy of being repeated--hell no! Its solid mass really solidifies the B/Y area imho, and now we can look forward to some lighter buildings to fill in the remaining space.

when you put it that way, it makes sense now.
i completely forgot how long it was on the market and delayed in construction.
we must remember that even though CASA came to market later, it began construction before or similar time to BSN.

to me, the building's design is definitely something from more than a decade ago ... circa 1995 like Tridel's Richmond @ Richmond/Sherbourne.

not saying that everything has to be or should be glass towers, but there are better examples of brick/stone/masonry/glass in the city now.

Notice how the west facing windows don't start until they clear the parking garage. Well, the Toronto Parking Authority has an application in to add 2 more storeys to this garage. Some people are gonna be really ticked off.

4225813065_6cbc6f4e92_b.jpg

Just wondering.....for BSN, do they have a timetable for interim occupancy? Does anyone know? Do they do it floor by floor? Or randomly? I know they are quite chaotic over there.

Jan. 31st Update

Balcony railing installations are moving ahead quickly now.

Note: I set my camera setting to photograph in the RAW format only instead of JPG & RAW but I screwed up and it only photographed JPG images today (DAMN! I froze my fingers off taking all of these). When I was editing the photos I also noticed a problem which turned out to be smudges on my lens filter :(. Sorry, I'll do better next time but they turned out "OK" for the most part.

Enjoy.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Missing the view

Notice how the west facing windows don't start until they clear the parking garage. Well, the Toronto Parking Authority has an application in to add 2 more storeys to this garage. Some people are gonna be really ticked off.

I wonder how long it would before more floors were add to the garage since the steel is there to add the extra floor these past few years of shooting from there. It was built to have more floors added. By the looks, a least 5 more floors. Considering all the towers going up, more space is needed

I have said that anyone living below the first 5/6 floor were going to have no view from their balcony once the extra floors were added. I sure the Cresford was unaware the extra floors were going to be added or did they?

Once those extra floors get added, the ppl who pay more for a view may find it harder to sale at a good return on their investment.

Casa & BSN, Cresford's Beauty & the Beast.

I was attempting to grab some shots which captured both the updated details and the scale of the building, perhaps I succeeded?

I think this building looks really great. Uptown should have had a similar colour precast, but a bit more yellow.
I like the glass on this one!

I wonder how long it would before more floors were add to the garage since the steel is there to add the extra floor these past few years of shooting from there. It was built to have more floors added. By the looks, a least 5 more floors. Considering all the towers going up, more space is needed

I have said that anyone living below the first 5/6 floor were going to have no view from their balcony once the extra floors were added. I sure the Cresford was unaware the extra floors were going to be added or did they?

Once those extra floors get added, the ppl who pay more for a view may find it harder to sale at a good return on their investment.

It's not unusual to see it closed off in the middle of the day because it's full.

I think this building looks really great. Uptown should have had a similar colour precast, but a bit more yellow.
I like the glass on this one!

I'm no fan but I honestly don't hate it either, but BSN has problems. Have you actually seen the precast in person? I'm not fond of it, it's a shimmery yellow'ish beige that does funky things to your eyes on a sunny day. The Uptown precast is what it is, white and harmless - delivered as promised. As noted in the Uptown thread, full windows and darker framed windows would have provided a much needed contrasted against the white precast as opposed to the weak, grey metal framing that they are using.

Pretty certain BSN is stucco. I watched them unload a delivery of panels and you could see a stud frame supporting exterior drywall on the reverse side.

February 1 2010 update

All issues with BSN's design aside, this archway with waffled ceiling connecting from Hayden to Charles is the most redeeming element in this project IMO :eek:

Click to Enlarge

All issues with BSN's design aside, this archway with waffled ceiling connecting from Hayden to Charles is the most redeeming element in this project IMO :eek:

Click to Enlarge

It's a fine feature (and a quick way for Casa people to cut through to the subway entrance on Hayden) but the execution is, well, a little underwhelming. Unless the photo is tricking my eye it looks all crooked and such.

Last edited:
apolgoies for my crappy photography ~

I must say though ... this archway looks a whole lot better in the day ... at night the white-ish color florescent lighting in the ceiling depicted in the photo makes it look cheap, it would've looked classier if they used tungsten yellow-ish lighting here

Back