Toronto Bloor Street Neighbourhood Condos | ?m | 32s | Cresford | Northgrave

Dec 06

Was going to post this sometime ago, but been lock could not.

Only still had 2 floors of balcony installed.
IMG_dec-06-09-0061.jpg

The balcony installations are moving along quickly

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I'm concerned about how the ground floor of this southernmost side meets Charles Street. It looks like that wasn't even thought of. Very sloppy.

I'm also interested to see how many non-residents of BSN will use the driveway (cars and pedestrians) to cut through -- either walking to or from the subway -- or using it as a shortcut to drive east or west with their car.

I didn't know that this thread had been unlocked.

This week has seen a surprising amount of activity, I wonder if Cresford got a cash infusion from somewhere to ramp things up here. It's been dilly-dally each time I walk by since late summer/early fall until last week. Now the site is a beehive of activity.

Your friend is moving in on December 23rd? Last Sunday the site was closed and fenced off.

Her PDI was scheduled for today but they cancelled last minute, the excuse being the carpet had not been installed( she has no carpet as she upgraded to hardwood throughout) when she asked about her move in date, one person mentioned the 29th, and someone else left a message with her saying the 12th of January... it all seems very amateurish.

Her PDI was scheduled for today but they cancelled last minute, the excuse being the carpet had not been installed( she has no carpet as she upgraded to hardwood throughout) when she asked about her move in date, one person mentioned the 29th, and someone else left a message with her saying the 12th of January... it all seems very amateurish.

I hate to say it but I expected this would happen which is why I questioned which month, presuming you were probably referring to December 23rd. There's no way this place is ready for move-ins, let alone getting occupancy permits by the Building Inspector. Presuming work continues through the next three weeks (holidays excepted) the 12th might happen.

I'm concerned about how the ground floor of this southernmost side meets Charles Street. It looks like that wasn't even thought of. Very sloppy.

I somewhat disagree on this point. What I see is that they tried to simulate the scale of the buildings to the west - at 4 stories. Stylewise it seems to take its cues from its neighbour to the east. I'm not sure what decade that building would have been constructed - 1950's? I can see some of the thought they put into it and in some respects it works, though in the end its an odd mish mash of styles - there's hints of deco, hints of modernism, hints of po-mo. The tower portion is more purely post modern.

True, the height of the first setback does fit in with the heritage building to the west and the frontage matches the mediocrity of the entrance to the YWCA building, but that's it.

The street level facade on the YWCA is what it is, nothing special. But why would BSN try to mimic that? It could have been more elegant and graceful and slightly one-upped the neighbour. Instead it matches the blah-ness of the YWCA building and looks like a rather clunky appendage to what is supposed to be an upscale building.

(By the way, the YWCA building, for those who don't know, used to be the CTV building back in the heyday of Canadian television (before CFTO/BBS at McCowan/401 bought the CTV Network)... although I don't recall if CTV occupied the entire building on Charles St.)

Last edited:
Dec 18 Visit

Balcony up on the front for 4-16 floors and east side for floors 2-12 only. Nothing on the north and only to floor 2-3 on the rest. Still a lot of work at the top for the roof. Cannot see anyone moving in until mid-late Jan at the earliest if at all.
IMG_dec-18-09-0035.jpg

IMG_dec-18-09-0037.jpg

IMG_dec-18-09-0041.jpg

I walked by today and noticed that the fence was taken down, then I noticed it in the photos above. I have to convince myself that this is temporary because they have paved the whole area in front from the building to the sidewalk. It's sloppy, uneven and an absolute eyesore. There's not a tree or an area for green space in sight.

The detail in the balconies is quite nice. While I have been a BSN-hater, or at least dis-liker from the start, from up close at ground level it shows quite well. I'm surprised the Charles st. side doesn't have a grander lobby entrance. It's just a door.

I also walked by it after the fences were taken down, and I don't think that's actually asphalt. Underfoot it felt more like compacted dirt, so I think that's just temporary landscaping to last until spring, when they can do it properly (I hope)

I also walked by it after the fences were taken down, and I don't think that's actually asphalt. Underfoot it felt more like compacted dirt, so I think that's just temporary landscaping to last until spring, when they can do it properly (I hope)

I think your right about this being temporary, there's no way they can leave the front in this unsightly condition. Hopefully!

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I think your right about this being temporary, there's no way they can leave the front in this unsightly condition. Hopefully!

When I shot the building last week, to me they were trying to get things ready for the buyers to move in as well getting the finally approval.

The real work will take place in the spring to do the real site work since there would be no rush then.

Lots of money been tie up with the longer delay as well having to compensate the buyers if their move in date goes beyond that final closing date.

It is the old story of getting the project completed on time and head of schedule, as it will mean more money in your pocket at the end of the day. Longer it goes, less you will have as well dealing with the backlash.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the old story of getting the project completed on time and head of schedule, as it will mean more money in your pocket at the end of the day. Longer it goes, less you will have as well dealing with the backlash.

On time? You are aware this is the BSN thread, right? On time would have been about 4 years ago.

Actually, I wonder if this one sets a record in Toronto for the longest development cycle (from proposal to completion). Metropolis was 9 years (1998-2007?), and this one was 7 years as BSN (2003-2010) and it was previously marketed as Avanti, wasn't it?

Back