Toronto Bloor Street Neighbourhood Condos | ?m | 32s | Cresford | Northgrave

I don't dislike it either and it's grown on me somewhat. Let's see what happens with the balconies.

May 23 2009 update

once again after dt :D ... here's my report of BSN from the east side on Charles Street while in the area with T-square

I think I would have liked BSN a whole lot more if it was glass panels rather than this mix of green + beige spandrel panels

IMG_3839.jpg

I think I would have liked BSN a whole lot more if it was glass panels rather than this mix of green + beige spandrel panels

I agree with you Solaris from an exterior look. But I think the more traditional style of the building and layouts from an interior perspective work better with the sections of windows as oppose to wall to wall windows. More usable wall space too and less sun damaging furniture and creating more heat...i guess you can say this building is more sustainable then Casa :p...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree BSN did offer much more in the way of layouts. Even the uber long and skinny penthouses are kinda cool.

But it's a shame about what's happening on the outside. The sliver-like tower portion could have looked sleek and high-end. Instead (to use a famous quote by Jean Chretien) it looks "small town cheap".

The cladding reminds me of something I would have built with my lego as a child.

DSCN4587.jpg

I agree BSN did offer much more in the way of layouts. Even the uber long and skinny penthouses are kinda cool.

But it's a shame about what's happening on the outside. The sliver-like tower portion could have looked sleek and high-end. Instead (to use a famous quote by Jean Chretien) it looks "small town cheap".

The cladding reminds me of something I would have built with my lego as a child.

The cladding is a shame given that the bones of the building are so well considered. The brick on ground level next to the Canada Post station looks like indoor-faux-brick circa 1970. The finishing of the neighboring parking garage looks comparitively top-drawer.

The brick on ground level next to the Canada Post station looks like indoor-faux-brick circa 1970.

Also used as outside brick for homes in the 60's & 70's, and my grandmother's raised flower garden that runs the length along the front of her house (installed early 1970's!). There's a great Americana website with a section of "postcards from the past" featuring an impressive collection of postcards from motels across the USA. This type of brick seemed very common in the 50's & 60's there too.

I've got a few issues with BSN but I really like how it nestles itself into the space that it occupies and it doesn't look so bad from different vantage points. I want to see how it finishes off, especially how the balconies are handled before I make a call on it.

I find it such an odd contrast between Cresford's Casa masterpiece on one side of the street, and then a mediocre BSN on the other side of the street. I know they're designed by different firms but I would have thought they would have rejected certain elements in the design process so that there would be two very different, but handsome buildings with quality materials to compliment each other and to proudly show in their portfolio.

Ick.

If the horizontal green lines were all windows (or at least appeared to be) it would be so much better.

DSCN4596.jpg

Back