Toronto Bisha Hotel and Residences | 146.91m | 44s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

Oh, that's only because we've run out of cranes :( They will get one once another building is completed soon!

Equipment, material, and worker shortages have come into play with some construction here. Pier 27, for example, with its massive surface area for its four buildings and two bridges going up all at once, used up every available scrap of safety fence in the GTA, and piles more had to be brought in. Cranes typically come down one week and go up on another site almost immediately. Contractors are scrambling for workers.

I don't know what is up specifically with the slow progress at Bisha (I haven't asked yet), but it may be the result of a shortage of one kind or another… but not likely of funds.

Equipment, material, and worker shortages have come into play with some construction here. Pier 27, for example, with its massive surface area for its four buildings and two bridges going up all at once, used up every available scrap of safety fence in the GTA, and piles more had to be brought in. Cranes typically come down one week and go up on another site almost immediately. Contractors are scrambling for workers.

I don't know what is up specifically with the slow progress at Bisha (I haven't asked yet), but it may be the result of a shortage of one kind or another… but not likely of funds.

Between Pier 27, Tableau, 1 York and a few others it appears there is a tonne of scaffolding currently in use. That would be my unqualified guess.

That would explain the poor workmanship in a number of these newer builds. Scrambling for workers = "Can you hold a hammer? Great! You're now our General Contractor!"

:cool:

Haha! Thankfully it's not that bad!

But, you know, go get yourself a job hanging drywall. We need you out there.

Any chance you have inquired and received any explanation as to what is going on regarding delays at this site? Thank you in advance.

Sorry, we have not asked why this is taking a while, but we can and will hope to get you an answer.

What we do know is that delays cost money, so developers do everything they can to avoid them. My first thought in regards to slow below ground work is a ground water issue that's having to be dealt with, but that might not be it.

Pics taken July 29, 2014

cDYanl6.jpg

sDNltOn.jpg

I have some details on the Bisha build from our contact at Lifetime Developments.

The excavation of the Bisha underground was a very complex dig requiring innovative solutions and strategies to tackle some unique obstacles. While we are proceeding as scheduled, the process would seem to be much slower than expected.

The site is extremely narrow with restrictions surrounding the site on all sides. This has made both access to and staging for the site that much more difficult. As well, Bisha has seven underground levels, which is deeper than today’s typical condo site. Special care and attention has also been taken to ensure the safety and continued operation of the Soho Metropolitan Hotel located immediately south of the site with their service access being through the lane way immediately north and west of our site requiring unobstructed access throughout our excavation process. Lastly, the heritage facade of the original building was removed, resupported and then moved from the site into the first lane of Blue Jays Way where it sits temporarily until such time as we are able to safely bring it back on to the site. The preparation for this initiative alone took several months and required the expertise of a contractor truly specialized in activity.

Thanks for the photos above, Red Mars, it's good to see the progress!

Glad to see this project moving along. There's a lot to like here. The design itself will bring some colour to a neighbourhood lacking in it (among recent highrises) and the hotel, bars and restaurants included in the project will bring back some of the night life and energy that the district has lost in recent years.

I have some details on the Bisha build from our contact at Lifetime Developments.

Thank you for asking and I appreciate you sharing the response.

Unfortunately, although I wouldn't expect something different, its too bad that the response was a very well crafted public relations type response that really didn't tell us anything at all.

Clearly they have had some difficulties outside of the "schedule" because I highly doubt any construction schedule, especially such an expensive project, would have almost 6 months of idle time in it on purpose.

Either way, great to see people on site actually working again.

maybe one of the investors has bowed out and or they are seeking another.(?)

I would agree that so much down time during peek construction weather is quite unusual.

IMG_20140808_193456161.jpg

IMG_20140808_193514152.jpg

IMG_20140808_193530610.jpg

IMG_20140808_193532949.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140808_193456161.jpg
    IMG_20140808_193456161.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IMG_20140808_193514152.jpg
    IMG_20140808_193514152.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_20140808_193530610.jpg