Toronto Bisha Hotel and Residences | 146.91m | 44s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

But what about things like the Tall Buildings Study and of course NIMBYism - won't that affect the number of super highrises that will be constructed? (I can see more 5-30 storey buildings along major areas roads though.)

I actually think the biggest impact will be the OMB. I saw an article where the city wants to opt out of the OMB process, if that happens I believe council's decision will be the final decision and would that mean taller buildings would not be approved, just wondering.

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5V 2G3

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 12 123914 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Feb 16, 2012

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Demolition

Description: Permit to demolish existing mixed use building - Heritage facade on East Elevation to remain.

I actually think the biggest impact will be the OMB. I saw an article where the city wants to opt out of the OMB process, if that happens I believe council's decision will be the final decision and would that mean taller buildings would not be approved, just wondering.

If the city opts out of the OMB it means that the city and not a provincial body or a developer will have the final say on what gets built. The city does not ban tall buildings.

It's sad that some people are willing to forfeit the control of planning - or the city plan itself - all in the name of height.

When I walked by Bisha today, the building was fenced off and there were construction guys walking around, so I assume that development is starting.

The city can't just opt out, they need provincial approval to do so. It remains to be seen whether the province will allow for it.

So much for a short sentence on my part. Obviously it's not as simple as saying "we opt out." But at the same time there is no reason for Toronto to stay within the jurisdiction of the OMB, and no reason for the Ontario government to force it to. All that has to be established is a dispute-settlement body to deal with organizations and parties contesting decisions. The issue has been an active item of discussion at council, so its not a question if if, but when.

Don't forget the OMB is a quasi-judicial board. They also look at the legality of councils decision. ie favouring one business over another or restricting competition etc. I guess without the OMB, legal issues like that would go through the normal court process.

The specific planning-related items can be removed quite easily and handed to the city. With respect to the OMB, there can always be a reform of what functions it can govern. As for it's quasi-judicial status, the members are not judges and the body does not have a solid footing in Common Law. In short, the OMB already generates court cases.

The specific planning-related items can be removed quite easily and handed to the city. With respect to the OMB, there can always be a reform of what functions it can govern. As for it's quasi-judicial status, the members are not judges and the body does not have a solid footing in Common Law. In short, the OMB already generates court cases.

yes... but the courts rarely go against what the OMB decides.

from yesterday
DSCF3525.jpg

Back