News   Aug 27, 2024
 401     1 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 727     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 493     0 

Toronto - Bills series not a hit

I agree that Canadians simply aren't as passionate about sports in general as Americans. That said, if Toronto had its own NFL team, I'm sure a city like Toronto (with 5 million people) can fill a 100,000 seat stadium. I also think the price was a huge disincentive for this particular series. You have build up to that price. They didn't charge that much for the Maple Leafs from the beginning. They became popular, and THEN raised prices SLOWLY over time. You can't START with high prices for an unproven product.

I disagree with that. Calgary and Edmonton have no problem selling out CFL football games even when its -25°C outside! If that's not being passionate about a sport, i don't know what is, Maple Leaf tickets are expensive because the rich corporate big shots are buying all the good seats and season tickets, they hardly ever go to the games, thats why the maple leafs can get away charging 600 bucks a ticket. Plus you ever noticed majority of the good seats at the ACC are always empty, Toronto has the worst atmosphere in hockey.

I disagree with that. Calgary and Edmonton have no problem selling out CFL football games even when its -25°C outside! If that's not being passionate about a sport, i don't know what is, Maple Leaf tickets are expensive because the rich corporate big shots are buying all the good seats and season tickets, they hardly ever go to the games, thats why the maple leafs can get away charging 600 bucks a ticket. Plus you ever noticed majority of the good seats at the ACC are always empty, Toronto has the worst atmosphere in hockey.

True. I guess Toronto is a bad sports city.

Has anyone ever seen the plans for the Skydome without the hotel? It would be way easier to build a new stadium for the Jays, and convert the Rogers Centre into a NFL only venue and removing the hotel. By doing so, you could easily get capacity upto 65-70K, which is fine by NFL standards, and along with the cost of a new baseball stadium, would likely come out to being less then just building a new Football Stadium. Of course, the other X factor is the Olympics.... any Olympic stadium could easily become a new NFL stadium for the city.

Has anyone ever seen the plans for the Skydome without the hotel? It would be way easier to build a new stadium for the Jays, and convert the Rogers Centre into a NFL only venue and removing the hotel. By doing so, you could easily get capacity upto 65-70K, which is fine by NFL standards, and along with the cost of a new baseball stadium, would likely come out to being less then just building a new Football Stadium. Of course, the other X factor is the Olympics.... any Olympic stadium could easily become a new NFL stadium for the city.

Bingo. But how much longer will the rogers centre last?

Well, by going with the States... the average open air cookie cutter lasted 30 years roughly. Only a couple survive today, and the only one that is going to be survivable is the Dolphins stadium, as there doing massive renovations that'll make it football only once the Marlins are out. But, the ones with roof's have never been torn down yet. BC place is getting a new roof, although I dont know if it still will be convertible to baseball. And Minnesota's dome has had the Twins leave, but the Vikings are still there reluctantly. Rogers Centre is rather unique with the roof, and it does have a lot of modern amenities too, so its likely survivable for a long while, but likely with only football in it. Its not really suitable for baseball.... and its the 8th oldest stadium in the league, and will be 7th in 2011. Of those remaining 6, only the Athletics are looking at a new stadium right now, and will likely have one by 2015.

Well, by going with the States... the average open air cookie cutter lasted 30 years roughly. Only a couple survive today, and the only one that is going to be survivable is the Dolphins stadium, as there doing massive renovations that'll make it football only once the Marlins are out. But, the ones with roof's have never been torn down yet. BC place is getting a new roof, although I dont know if it still will be convertible to baseball. And Minnesota's dome has had the Twins leave, but the Vikings are still there reluctantly. Rogers Centre is rather unique with the roof, and it does have a lot of modern amenities too, so its likely survivable for a long while, but likely with only football in it. Its not really suitable for baseball.... and its the 8th oldest stadium in the league, and will be 7th in 2011. Of those remaining 6, only the Athletics are looking at a new stadium right now, and will likely have one by 2015.

So we are due for a new stadium soon then.

Cannot wait for THAT debate.

The NFL in Toronto...and Stadium thoughts...

Everyone: I noticed new stadiums mentioned here-I remember how bad things were getting in the 90s especially in the NFL how team ownerships were literally holding a team hostage and threatening to move if a Stadium deal was not forthcoming...and the Bills also have talked about or are considering leaving WNY...creating the Toronto series. In my opinion when that happens only the loyal NFL fans lose...

I was thinking that if both NFL teams that are in areas that directly border Southern Ontario play in the Toronto game if interest or attendance would be high...The Bills playing the Detroit Lions but the problem is that both are not elite NFL teams
but since they are in separate conferences and only play each other every 4th year in the regular season it may have been a good move over scheduling the Chicago Bears in Toronto since the Bills play the 4 NFC Central teams this season-the same division that the Bears are in. Will playing the Bears draw more fans maybe those from Chicagoland? This may be interesting to see come November 7th...

I can NOT see Toronto giving away the house to an NFL team and I wonder how the CFL Argonauts will react if a stadium deal ever becomes reality?
Thoughts by LI MIKE

Of course, the other X factor is the Olympics.... any Olympic stadium could easily become a new NFL stadium for the city.
Even easier (and cheaper) would be to build a 40K permanent stadium that was temporarily expanded for the Olympics, and then scaled back after to become the new home for the Argos.

Even easier (and cheaper) would be to build a 40K permanent stadium that was temporarily expanded for the Olympics, and then scaled back after to become the new home for the Argos.

The Argos can move to York U.

besides the argos lose money. The NFL is a guaranteed profit, unless you are really stupid, like Rogers.

Last edited:
OF course its a guess. Anything could happen.

Speaking of guesses, Ron Joyce has the cash to become a majority partner.
He's 80 now, perfect age for a vanity ownership of a football team. Though I'm sure he would rather pay for a CFL franchise in his native Nova Scotia.

EDIT: Wikipedia says he has moved to Calgary, I thought he still lived here.
In that case it's time for Frank Stronach to step up to the plate.

Last edited:
What is all this nonsense about the Rogers Centre being a bad baseball venue? I'm a huge Jays fan, and I've been to several other MLB stadiums around the league. The Rogers Centre is just fine IMO. The sightlines are good (amazingly even up in the 500s the views aren't bad), the roof is incredibly practical and has worked well over the decades, and it looks relatively modern inside after all the renovations Rogers did a few years back... especially the 100-level concourse.

The old Yankee stadium and Fenway Park... now THOSE are terrible.

The old Yankee stadium and Fenway Park... now THOSE are terrible.

I've been to Fenway Park. Fenway may be old, have small seats and crappy sightlines but watching a game there is incredible. There's atmosphere there unlike Rogers Centre which is a giant cement turd. Would love to see the Jays with a new Stadium with character eventhough they probably don't need one.

Speaking of guesses, Ron Joyce has the cash to become a majority partner.
He's 80 now, perfect age for a vanity ownership of a football team. Though I'm sure he would rather pay for a CFL franchise in his native Nova Scotia.

EDIT: Wikipedia says he has moved to Calgary, I thought he still lived here.
In that case it's time for Frank Stronach to step up to the plate.

Money talks!

Back