News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 628     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 300     0 

Toronto - Bills series not a hit

I've been to Fenway Park. Fenway may be old, have small seats and crappy sightlines but watching a game there is incredible. There's atmosphere there unlike Rogers Centre which is a giant cement turd. Would love to see the Jays with a new Stadium with character eventhough they probably don't need one.

This incredible atmosphere you speak of failed to exist in Boston until the franchise pulled up its socks at the start of the 2000s. This "Red Sox Nation" they constanly chime about is a total farce. Just look at the Red Sox's yearly attendance figures. Huge spike a decade ago once all the bandwagoners started clueing in. I hate the idiodic "Red Sox Nation" even more because they treat that dumpy bandbox (Fenway) like it's some sort of national fucking landmark.

I've been to Fenway Park. Fenway may be old, have small seats and crappy sightlines but watching a game there is incredible. There's atmosphere there unlike Rogers Centre which is a giant cement turd. Would love to see the Jays with a new Stadium with character eventhough they probably don't need one.

The ONLY reason for that is because it's tiny (I believe the smallest park in all of MLB), and because it's ALWAYS full.

Go back to 1990-1994 when the dome was packed with 50,000 people every single night and tell me the atmosphere at Fenway was any better.

This incredible atmosphere you speak of failed to exist in Boston until the franchise pulled up its socks at the start of the 2000s. This "Red Sox Nation" they constanly chime about is a total farce. Just look at the Red Sox's yearly attendance figures. Huge spike a decade ago once all the bandwagoners started clueing in. I hate the idiodic "Red Sox Nation" even more because they treat that dumpy bandbox (Fenway) like it's some sort of national fucking landmark.

Yup... same goes for the Yanks. They were averaging 20,000 fans a season back in the early 90s when we were averaging 50,000.

It all comes down to winning. And fortunately for us the Jays are on the right track. It's only a matter of time before things come full circle again.

As for the Bills.. same thing. Bring a winning team and lower prices to reasonable levels and you'll be at 100% capacity every night.

Yup... same goes for the Yanks. They were averaging 20,000 fans a season back in the early 90s when we were averaging 50,000.

It all comes down to winning. And fortunately for us the Jays are on the right track. It's only a matter of time before things come full circle again.

As for the Bills.. same thing. Bring a winning team and lower prices to reasonable levels and you'll be at 100% capacity every night.

Thank You Gei. Some people here do understand that folks might not want to pay 300+ for a sporting event during a recession.

The Argos can move to York U.

besides the argos lose money. The NFL is a guaranteed profit, unless you are really stupid, like Rogers.
The point is that the Argos clearly would deserve any Olympic leftovers over an NFL team that isn't even here and may never arrive.

Stupid or not, if a successful, multibillion corporation like Rogers couldn't deliver a profit, then the NFL in Canada is obviously not a guaranteed profit.

The point is that the Argos clearly would deserve any Olympic leftovers over an NFL team that isn't even here and may never arrive.

Stupid or not, if a successful, multibillion corporation like Rogers couldn't deliver a profit, then the NFL in Canada is obviously not a guaranteed profit.

So if it was done again properly with lower prices, would that satisfy you? Or would that not count?

London is also having the same problems as well too.

Upon all this an Olympic Stadium will be more that 70,000. No scaling back that.

lol... Rogers is a "successful, multibillion [dollar] corporation" in the field of telecommunications. They have no clue what they are doing with sports. Took them a decade to get things finally figured out with the Jays.

So if it was done again properly with lower prices, would that satisfy you? Or would that not count?

London is also having the same problems as well too.

Upon all this an Olympic Stadium will be more that 70,000. No scaling back that.
London is not having the same problems.

It's a moot point to say it could be done again with "lower prices" unless Rogers got the package for considerably less than $78 million.

Took them a decade to get things finally figured out with the Jays.
They're in fourth place -- what exactly have they figured out?

It's a moot point to say it could be done again with "lower prices" unless Rogers got the package for considerably less than $78 million.

And they will get a lower price because this time didn't work out.

Are you against this just to be against this?

I think the Jays are on track to be competitive, with a good manager and farm system, and I take that to be positive. They might even get lucky and challenge for the post season at some point, but they're in the toughest division. At least we get to see the big boys more often. I have zero affinity for the cable companies, but at the very least, Rogers has brought big league American football to Toronto. I tuned into the Argos-Ticats game last week for old times' sake, and the colourful fans in Hamilton were great.

They've figured out how to be competitive in the long run. Our farm system has gone from being ranked 2nd-last in the league to the top 5. We have a SOLID starting rotation and a lot of young guys with potential.

We'd probably be in a playoff spot in most other divisions in the league... when you factor in the fact that we play NYY BOS AND TB more than any other teams in the league.

And they will get a lower price because this time didn't work out.

Putting aside that the chances of Rogers extending the Bills deal beyond 2012 are questionable at best, the chances of Ralph Wilson and the Bills agreeing to a much lower price are exactly zero.

Are you for this just to be for this?

They've figured out how to be competitive in the long run. Our farm system has gone from being ranked 2nd-last in the league to the top 5. We have a SOLID starting rotation and a lot of young guys with potential.

We'd probably be in a playoff spot in most other divisions in the league... when you factor in the fact that we play NYY BOS AND TB more than any other teams in the league.
And since August 1 the Orioles lead the division in wins (tied with NY) with 21, so they must have the brightest future of all, right?

The Jays are 19-18 vs the Central and 15-12 vs the West, hardly overwhelming evidence. 7-11 vs the NL is even less convincing.

Putting aside that the chances of Rogers extending the Bills deal beyond 2012 are questionable at best, the chances of Ralph Wilson and the Bills agreeing to a much lower price are exactly zero.

Are you for this just to be for this?

I meant down the road. Wait for this to blow over. Ralph Wilson will be dead by then.

I'm for this because I want to sucessfully bring Toronto to the NFL.

Last edited:

Back