News   Mar 28, 2024
 285     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 255     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 291     0 

Toronto Bike Share

What surprises me however, is Grimes, Nunziata, and Crawford voting yes. Am i dreaming?
Grimes probably still shell-shocked following his twitter controversy the other day and isn't thinking straight.

Nunziata has become extraordinarily pro-cycling in the past-two years.

Crawford seems content with bike share expansion but not with bike lane extension.

A lot of suburban councillors are voting in support of bike share now as it's expanding into the suburbs and approaching their wards. It's a win for them to get stations in their ward.

Personally I would love for Metrolinx to pick up Bike Share and expand it to the suburbs, placing them around their GO train stations.

I could see Bike Share expanding into Port Credit and south Mississauga within 5 years, before all of Toronto is covered, provided there are no jurisdictional hurdles to overcome.

But correct me if I am wrong, most of the suburban areas are still very inhospitable for cycling outside of trails. The GO stations are traffic nightmares at peak periods, and largely located in commercial/industrial areas where there's both more threats to would-be cyclists, and less destinations.

I'd love it if Bikeshare expanded to the Square One / MCC area where I work. I'd use it for lunch rides and other errands...which is something I often do when I have my own bike there.

The Mississauga Executive Centre buildings on Robert Speck at Hurontario have (had?) their own private bike share program. I wonder how well it's used. Only for people working in those buildings though (not me). I've never seen one of them in the wild.

A lot of suburban councillors are voting in support of bike share now as it's expanding into the suburbs and approaching their wards. It's a win for them to get stations in their ward.

Personally I would love for Metrolinx to pick up Bike Share and expand it to the suburbs, placing them around their GO train stations.
So much this. Bikeshare membersbip should also be included free in metropass.

I could see Bike Share expanding into Port Credit and south Mississauga within 5 years, before all of Toronto is covered, provided there are no jurisdictional hurdles to overcome.

But correct me if I am wrong, most of the suburban areas are still very inhospitable for cycling outside of trails. The GO stations are traffic nightmares at peak periods, and largely located in commercial/industrial areas where there's both more threats to would-be cyclists, and less destinations.
Mississauga is making progress with bike lanes or more often MUPs on suburban arterials, with a suprising number of cross-rides with bike signals. Better than Toronto seems to be managing on comparable suburban arterials. There are stretches where there are gaps in the network. Riding on the street I tend to only do recreationally outside of rush hour (which would be legitimately terrifying).

Mississauga is making progress with bike lanes or more often MUPs on suburban arterials, with a suprising number of cross-rides with bike signals. Better than Toronto seems to be managing on comparable suburban arterials. There are stretches where there are gaps in the network. Riding on the street I tend to only do recreationally outside of rush hour (which would be legitimately terrifying).

I think cities like Mississauga need to embrace building a cycling network at-grade with the sidewalk, rather than the roadway. It is the best compromise for safety, expansion efficacy, and maintaining the existing road hierarchy which is unfortunately unrealistic to radically change.

I think the city agrees with you. Most of the work they have been doing has been multi use paths on high speed arterials. Most of the on-street bike lanes are more on lower speed distributor roads, though I still see plenty of people riding on the sidewalk.

New station added this morning at Dundas St W / St Helens Ave (where Dundas and College meet).

R0013964.JPG

Saw it yesterday when I was out'n'about. Good use of road space. :)

Back