News   Feb 25, 2021
 897     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
View attachment 288318
Seasonally-appropriate cargo carrying, from a few days ago....

I wonder if you could jury-rig it vertically to the front if there was snow in the bike lane.................?

1607741580197.png

from: https://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/bike-snowplow-893612.html

Last edited:

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
This may or may not mean anything............

But Bikeshare is having meetings with some Councillor's presumably asking for wish lists/suggestions.

Officially there remains no expansion money in the budget; but one might interpret such meetings as hopeful sign.

No additional inside knowledge here, there may be other reasons for the meetings or perhaps they are suggestions for 2022; but I'm cautiously optimistic.

jelbana

Member Bio
Reaction score
This may or may not mean anything............

But Bikeshare is having meetings with some Councillor's presumably asking for wish lists/suggestions.

Officially there remains no expansion money in the budget; but one might interpret such meetings as hopeful sign.

No additional inside knowledge here, there may be other reasons for the meetings or perhaps they are suggestions for 2022; but I'm cautiously optimistic.

No expansion money seems crazy. Surely there must be some Federal money they can apply for? Regardless, $1-2 million annually for bikeshare should be automatic.

Undead

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yes, I remember my former councillor (Carroll) saying earlier this year that her office wanted to get bike stations for Don Valley North.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
What surprises me however, is Grimes, Nunziata, and Crawford voting yes. Am i dreaming?
Grimes probably still shell-shocked following his twitter controversy the other day and isn't thinking straight.

Nunziata has become extraordinarily pro-cycling in the past-two years.

Crawford seems content with bike share expansion but not with bike lane extension.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A lot of suburban councillors are voting in support of bike share now as it's expanding into the suburbs and approaching their wards. It's a win for them to get stations in their ward.

Personally I would love for Metrolinx to pick up Bike Share and expand it to the suburbs, placing them around their GO train stations.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I could see Bike Share expanding into Port Credit and south Mississauga within 5 years, before all of Toronto is covered, provided there are no jurisdictional hurdles to overcome.

But correct me if I am wrong, most of the suburban areas are still very inhospitable for cycling outside of trails. The GO stations are traffic nightmares at peak periods, and largely located in commercial/industrial areas where there's both more threats to would-be cyclists, and less destinations.

vic

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'd love it if Bikeshare expanded to the Square One / MCC area where I work. I'd use it for lunch rides and other errands...which is something I often do when I have my own bike there.

The Mississauga Executive Centre buildings on Robert Speck at Hurontario have (had?) their own private bike share program. I wonder how well it's used. Only for people working in those buildings though (not me). I've never seen one of them in the wild.

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
A lot of suburban councillors are voting in support of bike share now as it's expanding into the suburbs and approaching their wards. It's a win for them to get stations in their ward.

Personally I would love for Metrolinx to pick up Bike Share and expand it to the suburbs, placing them around their GO train stations.
So much this. Bikeshare membersbip should also be included free in metropass.